• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What is the Dem plan to make our entitlement programs sustainable?

I can't believe that everybody in the whole damn world isn't behind adjusting the age of Social Security. Its a ponzi scheme that I (I'm 24) will be paying into the rest of my life but will probably never see a dime of.

Its remarkable how the Greatest Generation gave birth to the Worst Generation. A bunch of spoiled man-children who would rather send the bill to their grandchildren than deal with real problems.

I have not read anyone on this board who has said that we should not make adjustments to Social Security. To whom are you referring, specifically?

Who's fault is that? What's Google supposed to say to investors? "We know there were legal ways for us to avoid paying $3.1B in taxes, but we chose to pay them anyway."

I don't know why people get mad at corporations for using legal loopholes to avoid paying taxes. We set the corporate rate at 35%, highest in the developed world, then fill the code with all kinds of ways to get out of paying it - like "green energy". The people who are screaming that GE paid no corporate income tax last year are the same people who pushed for the green energy incentives that enabled them to do so.

We are also the only major country to impose that high national rate on all international earnings of domestic companies. And then we're angry when they keep those profits overseas? Why? They're just doing what the system incents them to do.

Blame the people who wrote the tax laws, not the corporations that comply with them.

Slow. Clap.

IMO if we lowered the corporate tax rate but closed a bunch of loopholes, companies would see less benefit in evading them.

The government should hire some shyster lawyer to give up all the dope on the loopholes and how to close them. Pay him on commission based on how much the loopholes he closes saves the government in lost taxes.

Last edited:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-graphic.html?scp=1&sq=fix the deficit&st=cse

Here folks. Knock yourself out, then come back and argue why the other person's cuts stink and yours are awesome. :)

It's not perfect, there are a lot of ideas not included in here...like the idea to cut entire departments, but it's certainly enough to get one started thinking about some of the tough choices that need to be made to "fix the deficit."

I think running a small deficit by projection while hoping that some moves result in an improved economy would be preferable to making some of the cuts necessary to go cold turkey on balancing.

Back