• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What is the scariest movie ever made?

This old man still scares the fuck out of me.

mxm_poltergeistii_main_%281%29__span.png

He had some quote from Poltergeist II to Carol Anne where he says something like the next time someone knocks on her door, it would be him. I wish I could find it. It's definitely a mindfuck.

When I saw The Ring, I left my cell phone in the car. This was way back when my cell phone was like a Zach Morris 3.0 and didn't have caller ID. I had 1 missed call notification when I got to the car. Good times.

"(Deacfreak)07 Days..."

Strangers and Descent are two of the scariest for me. Strangers in the realism category like others have stated. Descent was was freaky and terrifying (claustrophobia). The end of Quarantine was pretty wild too. Apparently Rec (foreign original) is better. I just have a hard time with subtitled horror movies, hard to pay attention to the words and the all the stuff going on on the screen.

Good call on The Descent...something about being trapped in an environment totally unfamiliar and sinister with hardly any options.

In DC this weekend. Probably need to swing by the Exorcist stairs.

The Exorcist, The Omen, and Rosemary's Baby are what I consider the three greatest horror movies of all time. I would consider The Exorcist and The Omen to be the scariest for some different reasons. It's hard to top The Exorcist for all around disturbing content. The Omen has just a chilling soundtrack and child Damien is terrifying.

A couple of darkhorses:

Jaws in its context scared a huge audience and it tends to linger in the back of the minds of several generations whenever they get in the water.

The Strangers and/or Funny Games are disturbing in their realism and completely pointless violence and terror. Those films just leave you unsettled.

The Descent comes off the rails at the end, but as someone who struggles with claustrophobia and has done some caving, the middle of that film makes me panic.

I was going to post the strangers. The fact that it was something that could happen and so random freaked me out.

people under the stairs and event horizon are the two that made me ill

The People Under the Stairs? That movie was scary to you?

The Ring in the theater freaked me the fuck out. Saw it again on DVD and it was pretty meh.

The Ring in the theater freaked me the fuck out. Saw it again on DVD and it was pretty meh.

There is a lot to the ambiance surrounding when you watch scary movies. Most of the ones I watch now, I watch when the wife is out of town.

The Ring and The Grudge in theaters were terrifying and ruined scary movies for me forever. As a general rule, I don't really watch them anymore.

The movies that scare me more are the realistic ones like Funny Games, The Strangers, etc.

yep, I'm with you on this. Other than the two you mentioned I'd add 'Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer', 'A Serbian Film' and 'Red, White & Blue'.

A Serbian film wasn't so much scary as just really really messed up.

Man, I'm rewatching return to oz right now before the game starts, that shit is pretty scary (especially for kids) wtf. THE WHEELERS.

When I was 6 I watched the original Amityville Horror and The Omen at a friends house Halloween Evening.

Did not sleep at all until the next morning.

I'll second Pulse as being a good scary movie. Original, anyways.

Strangers definitely for the realism.

Paranormal Activity, especially the scene where she convinces him not to leave the house, and then slowly starts smiling at the camera... NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE

The Exorcism of Emily Rose

The Descent comes off the rails at the end, but as someone who struggles with claustrophobia and has done some caving, the middle of that film makes me panic.

The Descent scared the fuck out of me until about 20 or so minutes from the end - I was uncomfortable all the way through that one.

Easily, this.

Have you watched it with the alternate ending (which I think is included in most of the DVD/BluRay releases)? Undoes a bit of the damage from the corny final cut...

I'd also like to second Event Horizon. Good lord. I haven't seen it in awhile, but I remember watching with a friend in his basement in the middle of the Lewisville sticks and almost losing it.

Trilogy of Terror scared the living shit out of me when I was a kid, especially the doll bit:

I also dig the original Halloween. It still gets to me.

If you're into something that takes itself much less seriously, Drag Me To Hell is a classic (as are pretty much all of Sam Raimi and Peter Jackson's pre-sellout horror flicks). There are a ton of great campy horror flicks. Any of the Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street movies come to mind. Maybe I'm too young to get it, but I always thought those movies were hilarious.

The Omen
Strangers
The Shining

Never really got to me? Exorcist and all of the PA's

Back