• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What is the scariest movie ever made?

Meh. To me, and I mean no offense by this to you or anyone that liked it, it came off as a horror movie for people who know nothing about horror movies. Wan has nothing to say, and no real conviction behind his scare tactics. They are empty, recycled bits from every haunted house/possession movie that preceded it. There are probably 20 movies that the movie "pays homage to," all of which are significantly more effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meh. To me, and I mean no offense by this to you or anyone that liked it, it came off as a horror movie for people who know nothing about horror movies. Wan has nothing to say, and no real conviction behind his scare tactics. They are empty, recycled bits from every haunted house/possession movie that preceded it. There are probably 20 movies that the movie "pays homage to," all of which are significantly more effective.

Yeah, I disagree with you about all of this, besides the bit about homage. The Conjuring continues the mythology of Ed and Lorraine Warren, whose "work" as demonologists is the basis for nearly every haunted house and exorcism movie in the last 40 years. That "homage" as you so call it, is part of the damn plot; Trust me, you aren't the only person who's seen Amityville Horror. There's a great positive critical consensus about The Conjuring, which is super rare for a horror film. Anyone who's seen Insidious and thinks Wan "has nothing to say" is ignorant; Wan has a very unique style to his films.

On a related note, just watched Sinister by myself in the dark and got creeped the fuck out.

Amityville Horror is not good, so it's definitely not because I was mad it borrowed from that. I liked Insidious, thought it was pretty inventive. Wan has talent, I thought it was wasted here on a half hearted script and a rehash of movies that just flat out did it better.

And mainstream criticism is the last place I'd ever want to look for advice on horror film. Most of them absolutely hate the genre. On the other hand, they also gave You're Next those same rave reviews, a movie that I think will go down as one of the best horror films of this decade. Give me it's wit and style over The Conjuring's pastiche homage any day.

Halloween 2 (Rob Zombie one) is actually really good, and extremely interesting. One of the more intriguing recent horror remakes (though I guess it's technically a sequel to a remake). IMO, the 2nd best one in the Halloween series, behind the original obviously.

Have not seen the Rob Zombie Halloween movies, but I don't like the original Halloween sequels. One of the things that make the original Halloween so effective is that the killing is so random. Making Laurie to be Michael Myers sister, thus giving him a motive for killing, diminishes the power of him as a random, unspeakable force of evil.

Have not seen the Rob Zombie Halloween movies, but I don't like the original Halloween sequels. One of the things that make the original Halloween so effective is that the killing is so random. Making Laurie to be Michael Myers sister, thus giving him a motive for killing, diminishes the power of him as a random, unspeakable force of evil.

The killing isn't random per se. I get what you are saying, but he has a pattern. He arranged a victim with the headstone of his sister.

The killing isn't random per se. I get what you are saying, but he has a pattern. He arranged a victim with the headstone of his sister.

True. Maybe random isn't the right word. When Laurie is his sister, it's personal. When she is just some baby sitter, it's impersonal. That's scarier to me.

Finally watched the entire Freddy vs. Jason last night. I enjoyed it, but it's certainly not the scariest.

As a slight aside, I told my wife that Gravity might be the scariest movie I ever saw because it made me feel the fear and anxiety that the character was going through.

Finally watched the entire Freddy vs. Jason last night. I enjoyed it, but it's certainly not the scariest.

As a slight aside, I told my wife that Gravity might be the scariest movie I ever saw because it made me feel the fear and anxiety that the character was going through.

Freddy vs. Jason is enjoyable if you are fan of either/both franchise(s)

finally watched event horizon last night. Pretty good flick. Very creepy. Enjoyed the ending.

I watched Phantasm (1979) and Night of the Living Dead last night. Phantasm is definitely more of a cult movie, and doesn't make much sense, but I dig it.

Psycho the other night put me in the mood for Identity (2003), one of the best horror films of the 2000s IMO.

Hoping to get to Texas Chainsaw Massacre (never seen) soon too.

I watched Phantasm (1979) and Night of the Living Dead last night. Phantasm is definitely more of a cult movie, and doesn't make much sense, but I dig it.

Psycho the other night put me in the mood for Identity (2003), one of the best horror films of the 2000s IMO.

Hoping to get to Texas Chainsaw Massacre (never seen) soon too.

The Tall Man in Phantasm is one of the scariest villains ever. Dude is terrifying. I too have a soft spot for that movie.

Agreed. It really isn't meant to be scary. It's meant more to be fun. The Friday the 13th that preceded it (I think it was the one before Jason X) set it all up with that ridiculously awesome ending.

I need to see the Zombie reboots of Halloween. I didn't know he had also remade Halloween 2, which I saw in the theater way back in the day-- a big thrill for a 10 year old kid not used to seeing a lot of boobies.

Agreed. It really isn't meant to be scary. It's meant more to be fun. The Friday the 13th that preceded it (I think it was the one before Jason X) set it all up with that ridiculously awesome ending.

Was that Jason goes to Hell?

I'm disappointed by the lack off Friday the 13th movies on Netflix.

So much pretension on this thread.

Halloween is probably my favorite horror movie ever.

I need to see the Zombie reboots of Halloween. I didn't know he had also remade Halloween 2, which I saw in the theater way back in the day-- a big thrill for a 10 year old kid not used to seeing a lot of boobies.

i liked number 2. Number 3 was terrible. I saw it in the theaters- older brother used to get me into R rated movies. Everyone walked out of 3 like "What the fuck was this shit."

3 was completely unrelated to the first 2. 2 was basically a continuation of 1 but more slashery with some of the deaths, ie hammer to the head, slit throat, slipping on huge puddle of blood, etc

----------
Tapatalk.

Agreed. I love all of those movies, though. Outside of the F13 1&2, most of them outside of Jason X and Jason Takes Manhattan are pretty similar. Nightmares 1 & 2, Dream Warriors, and New Nightmare are amazing.

Back