• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What is your favorite real life mystery?

dmcheatw

Reaction score
Everyone likes a good mystery, and i'd like to learn of some new, actual, real life mysteries that I can ponder. I'm not looking for cosmological mysteries, typical unsolved homicides, paradoxes, or pseudo-mysteries like big foot/chupacabra, alien spaceship abduction, etc. I realize what constitutes a truly unsolved mystery is partially in the eyes of the beholder, but if in doubt tell me anyway!

Here are all the real mysteries that I know of that I've been able to come up with:

D.B. Cooper (b/c of that small amount of money found)
Mary Celeste (b/c nobody else ever smelled the alcohol vapor when the ship made port)
WOW Signal (no good theories for it at all that i'm aware of)
Circumstances surrounding Otzi's death (having a full stomach doesn't jive with the likely narrative of being part of a war party or being on the run, why go from valley to peak to valley back to peak in 24-36hrs?)

that's not very many...please add to the list!!

ETA: Three new mysteries!!

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (b/c it just vanished--no good theories for it at all that i'm aware of)
Cicada 3301 (b/c of illumanati-like secrecy and davinci-like time sensitive treasure hunts)
Cats leaving their prey where humans will find it

Last edited:
ehh that sort of falls under the "cosmological mysteries." Things related to the fundamental nature of the universe are cool mysteries, but not really what I'm going for. thanks though. Oh another one might be the second explosion on the lusitania. i had thought it was due to smuggled munitions but i heard that was actually ruled out, meaning there are no good theories for it that i know of as well.

Last edited:
This one time I saw this face in the mirror that wasnt my face. It was another face wo scary

How Tiquan Underwood's hi-top fade maintains its structural integrity even when wearing a football helmet.

725ef7144d3f73f1f595366efc2a2f19-tiquan-underwoods-high-top-fade-is-elite.jpg

Last edited:
Was an idyllic French village driven crazy by LSD in a secret American mind experiment?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1258801/Was-idyllic-French-village-driven-crazy-LSD-secret-American-mind-experiment.html
Some ran screaming through the narrow, cobbled streets, crying out that terrible, flesh-eating demons were in hot pursuit. Others, wild-eyed and clearly deranged, jabbered that their brains had turned to molten lead and their internal organs were flowing, ablaze, from their ears.

One man leapt from a high window in the main street, shouting 'I'm an aeroplane', before plunging to the ground with his arms outstretched.

Despite breaking his legs in the fall, the man got to his feet and staggered for 50 yards - pursued by a mob of madmen and women - before collapsing in a pool of blood.

Small boys tried to strangle their mothers. One man tried to cut open his chest with a butcher's knife, saying he had to 'let his heart free'.

Gabriel Validire, a local stonemason, gabbled to his wife: 'I'm dead! My head is copper! I've snakes in my stomach!'

Throughout the night, across the rooftops and spires of the old town, local people howled and begged for mercy, saying they were being attacked by strange, multi-coloured wild animals.

The Hinterfaieck murders
A few days prior to the crime, Andreas Gruber told neighbours about discovering footsteps in the snow leading from the edge of the forest to the farm; however, there were none leading back. He also talked about hearing footsteps in the attic and finding an unfamiliar newspaper on the farm. Furthermore, one of the two existing house keys went missing several days before the murders, but none of this was reported to the police.

Six months earlier, the previous maid had left the farm, claiming that it was haunted; the new maid, Maria Baumgartner, arrived on the farm on 31 March 1922, only a few hours before her death.
http://armchairdetective.wordpress.com/2009/11/23/hinterkaifeck/

How Tiquan Underwood's hi-top fade maintains its structural integrity even when wearing a football helmet.

725ef7144d3f73f1f595366efc2a2f19-tiquan-underwoods-high-top-fade-is-elite.jpg

haha, u jelly?

awesome suggestions BSF4L... gonna watch those youtubes tonight.

Last edited:
The Taman Shud Case
But the book - with its missing back page - had a secret. Visible only under ultraviolet light, police found what looked like a code. It appeared to read:

WRGOABABD
MLIAOI
WTBIMPANETP
MLIABOAIAQC
ITTMTSAMSTGAB

The second line was struck out, and some letters were unclear at best.

The code does nothing to discourage theorists from thinking that the Somerton Man may have been a Cold War spy, combined with the suggestion he may have been poisoned by enemies unknown.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/portrait-may-hold-key-to-somerton-man-beach-mystery/story-fni0ffnk-1226674957043
(there is no sound during the opening credits to this vid)

Back