• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What rounds will Boogie, Sage, & Newman get drafted?

I agree, ATS. Which is all the more reason why players should make sure they're ready when they take their shot. There's no guarantee they'll get another one.

I don't know -- I don't think the NFL is too worried about what college players did last year when making their practice squad decisions

if he could play, he would find a spot

unless your take is that by taking a year off he harmed his development and that his ability to play WR suffered, not just his exposure/esteem in the eyes of the NFL

I am in the "it harmed his development" camp with Sage. He had knee surgery. He didn't get his body tested in real football games and get to the point where he was playing receiver and not worrying about how his leg would react. Sage lost opportunities to put some more highlight reel catches in front of NFL scouts and coaches. He gave up a year of time that he could have used to rebuild his speed post surgery. He should have been faster with a year plus to work post surgery with a season of football thrown in than he showed on pro day.

The biggest issue for both Surratt and Dortch is that one more year (or years, in both cases) at Wake would have led to both (1) fairly insane stats; and (2) more good game film. I think (1), more than (2) would have increased the chance of each guy getting drafted. And drafted players are always going to get more opportunities than non-drafted players. In a close call, the drafted guy probably wins.

In hindsight, those guys both could have probably both gotten to a 4th-6th round draft pick if they had repeated their stats for another year or 2. And that might have been enough for them to stick on an active roster for at least a year. Obviously, that would have increased their total compensation above and beyond what it is now.

I think basketball is different, just because there are so many leagues other than the NBA in which you can get fairly well paid. Unless Suratt ends up in the CFL (and his game is not particularly suited for it), he's done.

There just aren’t many CFL spots either. 9 teams. 20 American players max per team.

Haven't been following this thread, but feels like NFL skill position players (WR/RB) are about a dime a dozen... Aside from the elite of the elite, of course.

You either take advantage of your opportunity or you don't.

Surratt was a beast at Wake, but I'm not surprised his lack of speed is keeping him from being an NFL player.

ditch-digger-smails.gif

XFL delayed their return until 2023 at the earliest. Arena Football League went bankrupt. Not an overwhelming number of options right now.

Jake left after his JR year, got drafted, got released, and is on a practice squad.

I hate when others do this... Seems so cheesy, but I can't resist in this case.

"Fixed it for you."

Last edited:
Haven't been following this thread, but feels like NFL skill position players (WR/RB) are about a dime a dozen... Aside from the elite of the elite, of course.

You either take advantage of your opportunity or you don't.

Surratt was a beast at Wake, but I'm not surprised his lack of speed is keeping him from being an NFL player.

I was really surprised that neither Dortch nor Sage were drafted. But clearly, I have no idea how to evaluate NFL talent.

Scotty Washington isn't on the Bengals practice squad anymore either. Dortch is still on the Cardinals roster.

All those WRs getting NFL looks and Hinton is the one that makes an active roster at WR.

Don't think Washington was ever on Cincy's practice squad. I know they didn't sign him after final cut down.

Boogie is inactive again. Hinton is active.

One NFL play I saw yesterday a receiver was double covered but caught the ball about a foot above the defenders hands. Commentator said something like "If you can't get separation horizontally, then you have to get it vertically."

Sage was getting a lot of his separation vertically. Some film of him doing that post injury would have improved his chances of getting drafted.

Back