• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What Wake needs to do at Clemson

I am normally one who looks through black and gold glasses, but this week..............

We are screwed. Clemson had a bye week after a loss.....Sorry, but this sets up a perfect storm. @ Death Valley, bye week to get healthy and prepare more, got shut out, two weeks of stewing on that. We are going to get bent over and **&^#@( in the $*&@^.

FSU also had a bye week after a loss before they played Wake. Obviously the home field advantage is a big deal though.

Clemson has a lethal offense, but their defense has been mediocre at best. If we can get BP and Reynolds going early against their porous rush defense, then I think we stand a chance to control the ball and compete with them in a shootout.

We have avoid the onslaught that they caught UNC in a couple of weeks ago. We can do this by avoiding the turnovers and relying on our defense to force some turnovers.

I don't necessarily think we are going to win the game, but according to statistical websites, ND is better than Clemson across the board.

so pumped for this game. very happy we got death valley at noon but it will still be loud. we've looked really good in every road game this year with the exception of UNC.

i think one of our WRs will have a huge game with safeties shading to Givens since the UNC game. BP/Reynolds production is needed. it's pretty much a given that clemson will put up serious points, we just need a few key stops/turnovers on D and more importantly we need to capitalize on them.

what we've done there in the past is not relevant. clemson just had their national title hopes taken away, let's beat 'em while they're down.

Does anyone know if Givens will be able to play Saturday? If I understand correctly he is having hamstring issues....also!

We are being hamstrung by hamstrings...

We need to stop lifting with the legs on monday mornings when we have an intense practice planned for monday night.

so pumped for this game. very happy we got death valley at noon but it will still be loud. we've looked really good in every road game this year with the exception of UNC.

i think one of our WRs will have a huge game with safeties shading to Givens since the UNC game. BP/Reynolds production is needed. it's pretty much a given that clemson will put up serious points, we just need a few key stops/turnovers on D and more importantly we need to capitalize on them.

what we've done there in the past is not relevant. clemson just had their national title hopes taken away, let's beat 'em while they're down.

:eek:

i just hope we can make a game of it so we aren't completely demoralized when we play MD the next week.

I think there are some very good suggestions on this thread. I think we must get off to a great start and keep Clemson from getting an early lead. The longer we keep the lead (or close to it), the possibility that Clemson might panic and crap the bed like they have in the past might happen. We will definitely need +3 or 4 in the turnover margin.

But I just don't see it happening. I think our defense will have a very difficult time stopping their offense. Even though their D has struggled some this year, I think our O-Line will have a hard time blocking them. Our kicking game is not likely to change field position. It's Senior day at Death Valley and they've had 2 weeks to prepare and be pissed off about losing to Georgia Tech. Add it all up, and its looks like a blowout win for the Tigers.

For what it's worth, I love my Deacs and I hope I'm wrong.

Getting on the ball on defense as opposed to letting them throw a uncontested 35 yard touchdown will help us

For real though, if we win, this whole board should meet up at a single location and party until we all pass out.

Okoro cannot get burned for long passes or miss tackles or assignments(Long NC run in 1st half). Good luck on that.:tear:

Clemson has a lethal offense, but their defense has been mediocre at best. If we can get BP and Reynolds going early against their porous rush defense, then I think we stand a chance to control the ball and compete with them in a shootout.

If winning this game depends on establishing a run game and playing ball control offense, we're even more screwed than I thought.

IMO it does and we are.

I think there's a smallish chance we can win this game, but it's going to be by creating turnovers, getting a short field, and winning in a shootout. If the "game plan" to win is to run and control the ball, the game will be over before halftime.

I think there's a smallish chance we can win this game, but it's going to be by creating turnovers, getting a short field, and winning in a shootout. If the "game plan" to win is to run and control the ball, the game will be over before halftime.

Exactly. It's been a long time since we've been able to control the ball effectively for 4 quarters.

And even if we "keep it close" in Grobe-like fashion, it wouldn't take Clemson long to get break it open. I just want our staff to understand that a 3 and out is just as bad as a turnover against an explosive offense.

And even if we "keep it close" in Grobe-like fashion, it wouldn't take Clemson long to get break it open. I just want our staff to understand that a 3 and out is just as bad as a turnover against an explosive offense.

Bingo, let's go for some big plays...the worst that can happen is we turn the ball over 30-40 yards down the field, which is as far as we can punt it anyway.

I agree. I see it like this.

Best game plan against Clemson: Run the ball, control the clock, hope for some great defensive stops or a turnover or two. Keep it close, hope to pull out a W.

If you are our coaches, recognize that this game plan is something we cannot accomplish. SO:

Best game plan for us: Run the ball only enough to keep them honest. Preferably mostly only on 1st Down or if a third down and short opportunity arises. Do not run the ball on 2nd down as much as possible. Especially on 2nd and more than 6. EVER.

Use some quick wideout screens, bubble screens in the place of where you may often use a run.

D and special teams need to shine for a chance. Starting every drive from our own 20 or less will be devastating.

Also make sure to bump the crap out of Watkins. Go ahead and get a penalty once a la Calvin Johnson in the ACCCG. Do not allow 60 yard passes.

Back