• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What was your first job for pay?/where did you work while in college?

Cashier at Target when I was 16 - starting wage was $4.25/hr, then they gave raises every 3 months - think when I left to go to Wake, I was up to $12 or so an hour.

I learned never to eat frozen yogurt, having to load that junk into the machine was nasty. Also learned I had shit for credit at 16 when I tried to open a target card and got denied. The best perk was during christmas time and big rush events, I could hide or pre-buy the stuff I wanted before people were allowed in the store - that and the 15% employee discount.

Stockboy at a Grocery store when I was 15. New guy had to do the frozen foods. My hands would get numb from the cold. I think I was paid about $3/hr and did it for about a year. Next up was every job that happened at a Biscuitville. I even made the biscuits up in the window. Over the summer it was full time 6am -2pm. That was great because I could hit the golf course or pool in the afternoons. I worked there for about 2 years. I think pay got up to about $6/hr.

Here's what I learned. Although my Ps where well off and I was a country club kid, they didn't buy me the stuff I wanted. They would buy outlet clothes off the clearance rack and I would get hand me down stuff. If I wanted the better things, I had to buy them myself. It was a great lesson to learn. I valued the things I bought because I paid for them.

I forgot one early job. I drove the pick up cart at the driving range to pay off a replacement shaft for my 4 wood. I shanked one into the woods and wrapped that club around a tree. The repair was like $25 but my parents wouldn't pay for it so I worked out a deal with the assistant pro to work off the debt on the range. That was actually fun and yes the old dudes would try hit the cart.

I worked in a warehouse fixing pallets. Had to remove all the broken boards with a crowbar and saw and nail new ones on. It sucked. I made $7.00/hr when I was 16-18, working in the summers. I learned I wanted to go to college and get a job where I didn't have to dread going to work everyday.

Here's what I learned. Although my Ps where well off and I was a country club kid, they didn't buy me the stuff I wanted. They would buy outlet clothes off the clearance rack and I would get hand me down stuff. If I wanted the better things, I had to buy them myself. It was a great lesson to learn. I valued the things I bought because I paid for them.

this for me, too.

Paper boy. Subbed for a friend and then took an afternoon route in like 8th or 9th grade.

Had so many papers on my bike that I had two full bags at the start and had to keep the weight of each side evenly distributed in order to ride.

Robeson County.

Kids worked on family farms and didn't start going to school in the fall till the crops were in. Many missed the first couple weeks of September.

That was even still the case when I was growing up in Stokes in the early 80's (not sure how old you are). There were two times of the year where we had unofficial "breaks" from school...priming week in the tobacco fields and ACC tournament week.

When I was 16 I started working at Food Lion. It was the worst job of my life. The manager, that bitch, really hated me and made me do all the shit jobs. Literally. I left and went to the rival grocery store in town where they loved me. I still go in there when I'm at home and talk to the managers, all of which are still there 8 years later. They are all so impressed that I made it out of my hometown and say that I'm too "big time" for them now.

After my senior year of high school, I was a lifeguard at my country club. The best job I've ever had. I did absolutely nothing and tanned all day.

Winn Dixie. I did it all: stocking, cashier (selling beers and lobster tails to my friends for $0.99), back room, stealing hot pockets, closing (with apple sauce in the mop machine). I think it was like 6 something an hour.

Paper boy. Subbed for a friend and then took an afternoon route in like 8th or 9th grade.

Had so many papers on my bike that I had two full bags at the start and had to keep the weight of each side evenly distributed in order to ride.

Same here. Had that from 5th grade through 8th grade and made pretty good money for that age. Starting my freshman year of high school I ditched that and started "working" at the local library, which entailed taking one cart of books to re-shelve and taking a nap somewhere in the back of the stacks or the fire stairwell. Summer after freshman year I started worked in a bagel store, which was fucking hell. There at 4:30 AM with no A/C mixing 100 lb bags of dough, forming bagels, and throwing them into a blast oven really sucked. I then worked at an ice cream store and as a yard boy in a marina for the rest of high school. The ice cream job was fun because lots of girls and celebrites would come in. The marina job was cool because we got to drive the forklifts carrying 30ft boats around, but spending hours under them painting hulls was exhausting.

I did the afternoon route too, on my bike. I didn't count it because I was thinking jobs you had to go to and clock in etc. I did the WS Journal in the mornings and the Sentinel in the afternoons. Hated it. Getting up early every morning and sit on my front porch rolling newspapers, and then having to split from the neighborhood kids in the afternoon shooting hoops or catching salamanders or smoking butts or whatever to go roll more papers and deliver them. I lasted about a month. awful

Worked as a soccer referee for local Optimist games when I was 12 or 13. The little kids (5-7 year olds) games were the best because I'd literally never move more than five feet from midfield and only whistled for goals, since the parents pretty much called everything else. Not to mention I made like $12 an hour/game which was big time at the age.

Ended up refereeing on and off (eventually moving up to Challenge and Classic games as a linesman and occasional center ref) for a few more years until I got older and started to hate waking up early on Saturday and Sundays.

I worked the window at Arby's for minimum wage (I think 4.25/hour) at 15. I got fired when I called in sick to play a softball game and drink beer.
I worked at a place called YumYum Yogurt after that. Same wage. Did that two summers. Made sammies and scooped cones. Easy work.
In college, I worked summers at a place called American Check Cashers on Peters Creek. That job was $$. Customers only came in like two times an hour. My girl would come with me and we would just bone in the back until the door bell rang. Lots of smoking as well. Good job.

How does one procure a job at American Check Cashers?

At Wake I worked in the back of the library in the Binding department. It was actually pretty fun, worked w/ a Machi who is still a great friend. We could play our music and stuff, never got to study but it was nice to make $150 a week which went directly into beers/liquor fund.

Jeeze with all you guys having jobs while at Wake ya shoulda been able to tip more than a dollar when I drove my golf cart around serving pizzas.

First job was mowing yards. Second was washing dishes at a country club. My first task was cleaning the grease trap - open it up, throw up and then clean it. I got "promoted" to walking around the dining area with a little broom and dust pan. I voluntarily went back to washing dishes due to boredom.

The summer before college I was a page on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange. Now, that was cool.

the toughest part of my lifeguard gig was the first summer I had to repaint the pool. Let me tell you, being in a breezeless pit, surrounded by blinding white walls, in 90-degree weather, reeking of heavy-duty commercial paint, has got to be one of the levels of hell.

Summer job when I was 16 ('99)
I think I made $7/hour, which was pretty decent, but it was a tough job, mostly manual labor, a years worth of BS that the normal employees didn't want to do that a few kids could take care of during a summer, had to bring an extra shirt to work everyday because i'd be covered in sweat and dirt/grease/paint/whatever I was doing that day, had the same summer job for 3 or 4 summers.
Learned that work was hard

Last edited:
What was it?
How old were you?
How much did you make?
How long did it last?
What did you learn from it, if anything?

Indoor mini golf in Winston. I was 18. Made $8 starting out and got up to $10 by the time the place went out of business about 2 years later. We had a golf simulator so I got to work on my golf game a lot. I'm also pretty consistent putting from 5 feet thanks to that job.

stocked stores with beer at 13/14.
physically tough, but made the paychecks more rewarding.
didn't touch the stuff until wake, but definitely developed a NBD attitude about it at an early age

Shared a paper route with my brothers when I was like 11 or 12. Learned that I was much more responsible than my brothers even though they were older.

Back