• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What year do we get back to the NCAA's?

When will we get back to the NCAA tourney?

• This Year

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Next Year

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • The Year After Bzzz

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • multiple (2+) years after Bzzz

Votes: 67 51.1%

• Total voters
Probably an extension after next season, maybe even after this one.

I hope merely making the tournament isn't considered success.

It will be interesting to see. Dino got canned, in part, for not succeeding in the tournament. I wonder how much Wellman will celebrate if Bz gets us to the tournament in a year or so.

I have the feeling the bar has been lowered.

It will be interesting to see. Dino got canned, in part, for not succeeding in the tournament. I wonder how much Wellman will celebrate if Bz gets us to the tournament in a year or so.

NCAAs are one thing, but the playoffs also include the ACCT, where we were dreadful.

2008: First round loss to a 7-9 FSU team.
2009: First round loss to a 7-9 Maryland team (along with Cleveland State in the next game, this was the dagger for Dino, IMO).
2010: First round blowout loss to an awful Miami team (4-12).

I think the Cleveland State game gets blown out of proportion. We played like shit and shouldn't have lost, but Cleveland State had won 12 of its last 14. Only losses were @Wichita State and @Butler.

The Miami ACCT game was far worse. That was the real nail in the Dino coffin imo.

The nail in Dino's coffin came before those games. Now if we made a deep tourney run, that'd be awkward for Wellman to say the least.

TBR;533855[B said:
]I think the Cleveland State game gets blown out of proportion. [/B]We played like shit and shouldn't have lost, but Cleveland State had won 12 of its last 14. Only losses were @Wichita State and @Butler.

The Miami ACCT game was far worse. That was the real nail in the Dino coffin imo.

Oh man. No way. You do realize there were 4 NBA players on that Wake team, right? Cleveland State had 1 - Norris Cole.

I think the Cleveland State game gets blown out of proportion. We played like shit and shouldn't have lost, but Cleveland State had won 12 of its last 14. Only losses were @Wichita State and @Butler.

Agreed.

Miami actually finished that year with a higher kenpom rating than we had.

Oh man. No way. You do realize there were 4 NBA players on that Wake team, right? Cleveland State had 1 - Norris Cole.

How many NBA players do you think that Miami team had on it?

I have the feeling the bar has been lowered.

A New Era!

Also, agree w/ all the smart people that say we'll make the Tourney McKie's senior year, no matter who is coach.

Miami actually finished that year with a higher kenpom rating than we had.

They were also higher ranked than Cleveland St was the year before iirc. I don't think that loss was blown out of proportion at all.

(How much of a stereotypical Wake fan discussion is this btw? Arguably about which postseason loss was more inexplicable :rulz:)

They were also higher ranked than Cleveland St was the year before iirc. I don't think that loss was blown out of proportion at all.

(How much of a stereotypical Wake fan discussion is this btw? Arguably about which postseason loss was more inexplicable :rulz:)

Kenpom measures the entire season. That fine for some purposes, but when you are actually playing someone why does it matter how they were 2-3 months prior to playing you?

In the fifteen games immediately prior to playing us, Miami went 3-12 and Cleveland State went 12-3.

...(How much of a stereotypical Wake fan discussion is this btw? Arguably about which postseason loss was more inexplicable :rulz:)

How I long for the days when we could argue about which "loss was more inexplicable." Now, with Bzz all our losses are "explicable". I just watched the 2009 Wake-Duke game on ESPN Classic. Ron Wellman - YOU ARE AN IDIOT! :mad:

Kenpom measures the entire season. That fine for some purposes, but when you are actually playing someone why does it matter how they were 2-3 months prior to playing you?

In the fifteen games immediately prior to playing us, Miami went 3-12 and Cleveland State went 12-3.

KenPom weights the games. More recent = more weight. Games from 2-3 months ago have little to no impact on the ratings.

The 2010 ACC was the 4th strongest conference in KenPom history.

Considering that Miami was towards the bottom of that conference, they played an incredibly difficult conference schedule. They were a much better team than that 3-12 finish would indicate. In their last game of the regular season, they lost @ Florida St (a clear NCAA team) by 1 point. After they demolished us, they beat a potential NCAA team - Virginia Tech - on a neutral court, before finally losing to the eventual National Champs - Duke - by 3 points, essentially on the road.

I remember watching that Wake Miami game and thinking how in the world is this the last place team in a major conference?

Compare that to Wake or BC this year.

Back