• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What year do we get back to the NCAA's?

When will we get back to the NCAA tourney?

• This Year

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Next Year

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • The Year After Bzzz

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • multiple (2+) years after Bzzz

Votes: 67 51.1%

• Total voters
NCAAs are one thing, but the playoffs also include the ACCT, where we were dreadful.

2008: First round loss to a 7-9 FSU team.
2009: First round loss to a 7-9 Maryland team (along with Cleveland State in the next game, this was the dagger for Dino, IMO).
2010: First round blowout loss to an awful Miami team (4-12).

Agreed. Dino's performance in post-season was bad. I simply hope if Wellman is serious about winning in the post-season that he'll hold Bz to the same standards he held Dino.

KenPom weights the games. More recent = more weight. Games from 2-3 months ago have little to no impact on the ratings.

The 2010 ACC was the 4th strongest conference in KenPom history.

Considering that Miami was towards the bottom of that conference, they played an incredibly difficult conference schedule. They were a much better team than that 3-12 finish would indicate. In their last game of the regular season, they lost @ Florida St (a clear NCAA team) by 1 point. After they demolished us, they beat a potential NCAA team - Virginia Tech - on a neutral court, before finally losing to the eventual National Champs - Duke - by 3 points, essentially on the road.

I didn't know that (obviously). Regardless, I still say momentum means something and that Cleveland State's momentum is usually ignored.

People act like that was the first upset to have ever happened. That's what bothers me because, in hindsight, we should have seen that one coming (like Richmond versus Vanderbilt last year). The way it happened was shocking though.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if Mr. [Redacted] ever coaches a NCAA Tournament game while at Wake Forest.

I'm not gonna bring up names, but I knew a lot of Tacy's players very well, and it wasn't from the library. One of them was in my wedding I'm not gonna go any further other than to say you live in Disneyland with your ideas about his players. None of them (only slight hyperbole) were there for the education and to graduate. All of them would've left early if afforded the opportunity. Things were different then and virtually all players used their full eligibility although graduating wasn't always part of the equation.

Well, let me put it this way: We at least know that he should have been fired for a lot more than the team's performance in post season alone. (Unless you approve turning the WF basketball program into one full of rogue misfits.)

I give Ron Wellman credit for knowing that, anyway.

When you start recruiting players who have no intention of ever getting a diploma, this is what you get.

Now how is it possible for you to not know shit yet at the same time be full of shit?

Remarkable.

I'm not gonna bring up names, but I knew a lot of Tacy's players very well, and it wasn't from the library. One of them was in my wedding I'm not gonna go any further other than to say you live in Disneyland with your ideas about his players. None of them (only slight hyperbole) were there for the education and to graduate. All of them would've left early if afforded the opportunity. Things were different then and virtually all players used their full eligibility although graduating wasn't always part of the equation.

Bookmarked. Thank you for this.

Agreed. Dino's performance in post-season was bad. I simply hope if Wellman is serious about winning in the post-season that he'll hold Bz to the same standards he held Dino.

By that standard, this year should be Bzz's last since he will not make the NCAAT this year (his second) as Dino did. For sure, next year is Buzz's LAST year, unless he goes to the 3rd round of the NCAAT. Dino went to the 2nd round in his third year and got fired. But... unfortunately Buzz did not have to meet any standard to get hired by his buddy. And it's obvious that there has been no standard too low for him after he was hired.

However, I still hope we can SOMEHOW cut the corner on this disaster and put Buzz in our rearview after this year. BuzzOut -till he's gone.

Back