• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What you would change in the ACC

What Would You Change in the ACC if you were Commish for a couple of months

• Expand to more teams

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Contract back to "original ACC" teams

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • Create a legit ACC Network (tv rights, quality internet streaming, etc.)

Votes: 68 63.6%
  • Create & succesfully market Tobacco Road rivalry tournament in fball/bball with State/UNC/Duke/WFU

Votes: 18 16.8%

• Total voters
Yeah, I don't think NC fans realize how few ACC basketball games are available on TV even in the fringes of ACC territory much less across the rest of the country.

I'm taking this as what I would most like to see for myself personally, so I went with pretending this whole expansion thing never happened. BC, Miami, and VT are killing the conference in basketball. Not because those teams are terrible, but because they are taking away talent that would normally only be spread out amongst the 9 ACC teams. Spreading it out among 12 is too much.

And just from my personal experience knowing some guys, I know there's at least some that would only go play in the ACC, and therefore would have never considered a school like VT and would have gone to another ACC school instead.

The ACC Network is the way to go, as it would create an additional revenue stream for the conference and allow fans to actually see more games.

Yeah, I don't think NC fans realize how few ACC basketball games are available on TV even in the fringes of ACC territory much less across the rest of the country.

I think that's because we, as Wake fans, were spoiled, just a short time ago, when all of our basketball games were on ESPN or ESPN2 at 8 PM.

Another vote for the ACC Network here. As commish, I'd use it to try to develop other sports to be revenue producing. Each associate under me would be assigned a sport to promote and develop. The ACC is in a good position with demographics shifting south, and we need to take advantage of it. Could the ACC knit the north's inherent love of baseball with the south's preference for college teams in ACC baseball? I'd like to try.

Why isn't girls volleyball more popular? Tall, lithe women with great legs jumping up and down playing a fast paced game, and hugging each other after each point?

I'd try to get all teams playing lacrosse. Soccer, tennis, and golf have built in professional audiences. Can we get those fans interested their college teams?

The ACC was the premiere basketball league bc it was first with TV exposure. I would try to do the same with the other sports. My fear would be that UNC would "go Texas" and get their own network.

Bring back the round-robin schedule for basketball.

Sentimentally speaking, I'd love to contract to 8 teams, but that's not what the current landscape supports.

I'm taking this as what I would most like to see for myself personally, so I went with pretending this whole expansion thing never happened. BC, Miami, and VT are killing the conference in basketball. Not because those teams are terrible, but because they are taking away talent that would normally only be spread out amongst the 9 ACC teams. Spreading it out among 12 is too much.

And just from my personal experience knowing some guys, I know there's at least some that would only go play in the ACC, and therefore would have never considered a school like VT and would have gone to another ACC school instead.

what you say makes sense.

wasn't davila from nc? yadkinville maybe? also the #41 player in '12 class is from tarboro and has committed to vpi.

as duke and carolina tend to recruit nationally, those guys probably would have been deacs pre-expansion.

I am clearly in the minority on this, but I sincerely don't have a problem with our first expansion even though it weakened the league slightly. I think how they originally envisioned it was to add strength, but we had to do something to change. I personally wouldn't mind adding some more teams to allow the opportunity to make an ACC Network and get better coverage. Teams like WVU, Syracuse, Pitt, etc. would be great additions in both sports as opposed to our first expansion, which only helped football.

Back