• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What's a great hot sauce for chili?

marquee moon

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
Something I can actually find in a grocery store.

Thanks.

#buzzout

I just tried Trader Joe's brand last night and liked it a lot. It's simple, three ingredients and no preservatives; Jalapenos, Vinegar and Salt. On the hot side of a normal table sauce (i.e. it's hotter than the typical Texas Pete/Cholula/etc, but not on par with the sauces that are proud to be hotter than most can consume). I like the lack of crap and it has solid taste. A little saltier than some sauces maybe.

Last edited:
Second on Cholula. The lime version is great. I also put Sontava XX in mine. It's carrot-based habanero and is awesome.

I just tried Trader Joe's brand last night and liked it a lot. It's simple, three ingredients and no preservatives; Jalapenos, Vinegar and Salt. On the hot side of a normal table sauce (i.e. it's hotter than the typical Texas Pete/Cholula/etc, but not on par with the sauces that are proud to be hotter than most can consume). I like the lack of crap and it tastes really good.

that one's good, but I love this one.

chili-pepper-sauce.jpg

it almost has a chili (the dish) taste itself

The fuck?

Just get fresh jalapenos and habaneros, chop them up, and put those in the pot. Hot sauce? Fuck off!

The fuck?

Just get fresh jalapenos and habaneros, chop them up, and put those in the pot. Hot sauce? Fuck off!

Obviously you do that too, but generally I'm making chili for a crowd, so being able to adjust the heat is a must.

I'm not very knowledgable on the topic of gourmet hot sauces, but I will say that Crystal is better than either Texas Pete or Tabasco FWIW.

Although I genuinely like BBD, I realize hes not gay, and I really wouldn't care even if he was ... I can't help but laugh at some of the BBD tags. Kudos to whoever came up with "bbd:my special sauce".

Obviously you do that too, but generally I'm making chili for a crowd, so being able to adjust the heat is a must.

this. if I'm making it for myself it gets hot as hell. but I'm making some on Sunday and will def have to dial it back a lot...but there will still be a kick.

I'm not very knowledgable on the topic of gourmet hot sauces, but I will say that Crystal is better than either Texas Pete or Tabasco FWIW.

Crystal actually reminds me a lot of the TJ's sauce above. Same order of ingredients (though it uses cayenne instead of jalapeno) and also on the salty side based on the label. I don't like Tabasco at all...the first ingredient in all of their varied sauces is vinegar rather than peppers.

this. if I'm making it for myself it gets hot as hell. but I'm making some on Sunday and will def have to dial it back a lot...but there will still be a kick.

You could also do two pots. One for the legit stuff and one for the children with less heat.

Went with TJs habanero hot sauce

It's actually hot and it's actually good

Back