• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What's going down in Israel with election?

The biggest event seems to be that the parties that largely represent the Arab population in Israel have finally united (into a party named "Joint List") and will likely finish 3rd in the election and thus form part of the ruling coalition. That's a massive change, and is going to dramatically affect Israeli politics.

The only scenario for a peaceful solution IMO comes from a politician solution within the country. I think this is a good thing. Proper Representation is always good.

Bibi gave a speech today in which he declared there would be no Palestinian state while he was PM, and that a vote for his opponents was a vote for "Hamastan".

Bibi gave a speech today in which he declared there would be no Palestinian state while he was PM, and that a vote for his opponents was a vote for "Hamastan".

I never know when it is okay to cross the line between merely disagreeing with a person's politics and thinking they are actually a bad person. Israel and its security concerns and national experience are unique and influence their domestic policy debates in a way that leads to right wing views, but at a certain point I just want to be like "fuck you man and your scare-tactic bullshit and the misery and war you propagate."

Saying out loud that he doesn't support the two state solution, when that solution has been the official US position since at least 2002, is certainly crossing a fairly noticeable red line. It potentially puts the US in a position where it is supporting Israel when Israel is openly defying a UN Security Council resolution that the US voted for (and helped write) in 2002.

I never know when it is okay to cross the line between merely disagreeing with a person's politics and thinking they are actually a bad person. Israel and its security concerns and national experience are unique and influence their domestic policy debates in a way that leads to right wing views, but at a certain point I just want to be like "fuck you man and your scare-tactic bullshit and the misery and war you propagate."

Netanhayu is a war criminal. You are allowed to dislike him as a person because he is an awful human being.

Saying out loud that he doesn't support the two state solution, when that solution has been the official US position since at least 2002, is certainly crossing a fairly noticeable red line. It potentially puts the US in a position where it is supporting Israel when Israel is openly defying a UN Security Council resolution that the US voted for (and helped write) in 2002.

Dude, Israel has thumbed their nose at Resolution 242 much longer than that -- like this new bit of ignoring a UN resolution will even slightly move the needle in America.

Back