• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What's going down in Israel with election?

I must be naive but is the consensus on this board that Israel is the problem. Iran should be trusted and Palestinians know the true path to peace?

Consensus of Reasonable Persons:
1. Israel is one problem of many. Saying this should not be political suicide.
2. We should engage Iran non-violently where possible. Intentional sabotaging diplomacy and war mongering are not superior alternatives.
3. Palestinians should be treated as human beings. With regard to the peace process, we need to eliminate the institutional and systemic driving forces that perpetuate terrorism and groups like Hamas before we can get high and mighty about why there aren't more palpable Palestinian groups that we can partner with to seek peace.

3. Palestinians should be treated as human beings. With regard to the peace process, we need to eliminate the institutional and systemic driving forces that perpetuate terrorism and groups like Hamas before we can get high and mighty about why there aren't more palpable Palestinian groups that we can partner with to seek peace.

No, no, no. The Palestinians have to clean up their own communities before we take seriously any of their complaints about being systematically oppressed, economically isolated, robbed of their property, and targeted for collective retribution. See the Ferguson thread for full details.

1. Israel is one problem of many. Saying this should not be political suicide.
2. We should engage Iran non-violently where possible. Intentional sabotaging diplomacy and war mongering are not superior alternatives.

can you elaborate on some of the many?

The immediate result of this is going to be violence. The Palestinian leadership and their enablers and proxies are terrible (just so no one accuses me of being a Hamas sympathizer). They have, with varying success and with varying degrees of consistency, used the promise of a future Palestinian state and an ongoing peace process to keep a damper on the hotheads they allegedly rule. Now the ruler of Israel has washed that out and stated plainly that there will be no Palestinian state, which is tantamount to saying there will be no peace. How can the Palestinian leaders, especially the PA, continue to call for calm and peace and negotiations when the other side is outright stating there will be no negotiated resolution? Hamas will be able to say "I told you so" and the PA looks like fools in the eyes of their constituents for being strung along by Bibi for 10 years. Predictable result: violence, a lot of dead Palestinians, and Israel becoming even more of an international pariah than they are now.

good post and I agree but not sure peace was ever really attainable.

I read an interesting article on the way into work that it's likely Bebe retracts his stance on being against Palestinian statehood and writes it off as "that may be my plan and Likud's plan but to govern as a coalition I need to be willing to keep all options open." Seemed to insinuate this has happened several times before with Israeli politicians but didn't really expound on that point any further. I'll see if I can dig it up. May have been politico.

I agree with what a lot have said. I have no interest in funding any war for a side doing so in the name of religious extremism which essentially extends to cover everyone in the Middle East, including Israel.

just glad you're willing to admit neither party is interested in finding a real solution

U.S. Worried About Living Up To Netanyahu Campaign Promises

WASHINGTON—Saying the Likud Party leader had set Israeli citizens’ expectations extremely high in the run up to his reelection Tuesday, top-level sources expressed their worry Wednesday about whether the United States would actually be able to live up to Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s campaign promises. “Given the ambitious list of security and spending initiatives that Netanyahu guaranteed Israeli voters on the campaign trail, I think it could be very difficult for the U.S. to come through on all of them; the pressure’s really going to be on America not to disappoint his constituents,” said U.S. State Department spokesman Eric Patel, explaining that, realistically, the U.S. would likely have trouble following through on Netanyahu’s repeated vows on the campaign trail to prevent Iran from developing a nuclear weapon at any cost and continuing to thwart the creation of a Palestinian state. “He made a bold personal pledge to every voter that Israel’s military capabilities would be considerably bolstered under his watch, which is going to be real tough for us to accomplish. I’m afraid we might end up having to eat his words.” With Netanyahu’s extensive agenda laid out before the U.S., Patel added that America would likely just have to increase its annual $3.1 billion in aid to Israel a little further and hope for the best.

U.S. Worried About Living Up To Netanyahu Campaign Promises

WASHINGTON—Saying the Likud Party leader had set Israeli citizens’ expectations extremely high in the run up to his reelection Tuesday, top-level sources expressed their worry Wednesday about whether the United States would actually be able to live up to Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s campaign promises. “Given the ambitious list of security and spending initiatives that Netanyahu guaranteed Israeli voters on the campaign trail, I think it could be very difficult for the U.S. to come through on all of them; the pressure’s really going to be on America not to disappoint his constituents,” said U.S. State Department spokesman Eric Patel, explaining that, realistically, the U.S. would likely have trouble following through on Netanyahu’s repeated vows on the campaign trail to prevent Iran from developing a nuclear weapon at any cost and continuing to thwart the creation of a Palestinian state. “He made a bold personal pledge to every voter that Israel’s military capabilities would be considerably bolstered under his watch, which is going to be real tough for us to accomplish. I’m afraid we might end up having to eat his words.” With Netanyahu’s extensive agenda laid out before the U.S., Patel added that America would likely just have to increase its annual $3.1 billion in aid to Israel a little further and hope for the best.

Sound fiscally conservative economic policy....

According to a new WSJ report relying on sources in the administration, Israel spied on American-Iranian talks and then used that information to try and undermine the talks with the GOP representatives.

That's a pretty huge accusation especially coming from the WSJ.

The parallels between this Bibi statement/retraction and the PR ploys by the Palestinian leadership are interesting to observe. For years, various PA leaders would give speeches in English condemning suicide bombings and so forth, then give speeches in Arabic exhorting their followers to keep up the fight. Similarly, when Bibi is talking to "his people" there's never gonna be a Palestinian state, but when talking to the American press he thinks he can walk it back and we'll all believe him.

Back