• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What's the Protocol for Coffee Shops?

Teamramrod

Reaction score
Had to go to a Coffee shop because we are moving and my internet is out.

Relatively new to coffee shops seeing as I don't drink coffee, but a dude just came up and sat facing me at the other table that puts him about 3 feet away from me. There are about 15 other tables. Not because I'm close to an outlet either

I know I'm a hot piece of man-ass, but seriously?

was he tapping his toes?

there actually is protocol for this. if he's sitting a little too close, the polite "coffee shop" way to let someone know is simply to just make eye contact and point to the mens bathroom in a very subtle manner. this simply means, would you mind scooting over a little bit i need more space. once you have given the sign, it is polite to then retreat to the mens room while he moves a few feet away, as a common courtesy.

if you're looking for a real answer:

people who frequent coffee shops (i.e. students, people who work from "home", etc) often have a table or chair that's "their" table/chair. you may have taken this guy's normal spot without realizing it. or the chair that he's in could be his chair, and it's just unfortunate that you chose a chair that's really close, but he's not going to change his daily routine because of you.

or, are the chairs you're in more comfy? if you took the plush chair next to the fireplace instead of the hard wooden chair at a table, it makes total sense why he would sit right next to you instead of being uncomfortable.

And what's with the people who park at Panera Bread all day long? I've been in there at lunch and it looks like a computer lab. People are working on their laptops, not eating lunch. They have a half full cup of coffee or tea and a waded up wrapper from their pastry they bought at breakfast. Meanwhile, I'm looking for a place to sit before they buzz me to come pick up my food. I have placed some strongly worded inquiries with the authorities (bus staff) at this establishment regarding these freeloaders.

And what's with the people who park at Panera Bread all day long? I've been in there at lunch and it looks like a computer lab. People are working on their laptops, not eating lunch. They have a half full cup of coffee or tea and a waded up wrapper from their pastry they bought at breakfast. Meanwhile, I'm looking for a place to sit before they buzz me to come pick up my food. I have placed some strongly worded inquiries with the authorities (bus staff) at this establishment regarding these freeloaders.

lol My mom was talking about canceling her internet service and pointed out that she could go sit in Panera Bread all day if she needed to do some work or be on the internet -- for free.

Thanks for the help, guys!!!!

So did he ever try to start a conversation? Seems odd if he wasn't trying to pick you up. On the other hand, it could be a ploy for him to pickup other chicks if they see him sitting with you (read: preselection game).

lol My mom was talking about canceling her internet service and pointed out that she could go sit in Panera Bread all day if she needed to do some work or be on the internet -- for free.

good for them their prices are so jacked up it probably doesn't affect them financially. this goes for any coffee shop.

good for them their prices are so jacked up it probably doesn't affect them financially. this goes for any coffee shop.

True, but labor is a bitch as is the rest of the overhead. Have to remind myself of this every time I bitch about a 2-3 dollar cup of brown water.

As for the table sharing buddy of yours. Pretty weird. I would probably relocate at the nearest opportunity and decide that I need to spread out or something.

I don't like the garbage food at McDonalds, but their coffee is definitely the best coffee out there. (black coffee, not any of that latte bullshit).. Starbucks blows.

Protocol is to get a hot ass girlfriend and always have her follow you around/have her sit across you.

I'm don't know but I'm pretty certain my avatar does.

Back