• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

When did American Culture peak?

Kory

Reaction score
As the sun comes up over The Who at Woodstock (1969)? Shaggy's Angel (2000)? Thriller (1982)? The Dark Side of the Moon (1973)? Purple Rain (1984)?

Doesn't have to be music.

I mean my answer is obvious. I have a poster of it up in my classroom.

val-kilmer-top-gun.gif

just anticipating my owg audience mr juice

shooting from the hip, somewhere post-Civil Rights Act of 1964, pre-Nixon era Vietnam paranoia

tight window in there and the culture was still probably worse for non-white folks than now, but I can't pick anything in the last 50 years and I can't pick anything Jim Crow or before

the documentary about the recording of the original cast album of Company is the peak of American culture

i mean there's no such thing as a peak so it can really be whatever you want it to be tbh

you could make a case for the mid-90s

music: wrapping up east coast/west hype and outkast and jay-z and nas were emerging and you had grunge and 3EB-type pop making waves and pop country was tolerable and the indie scene was strong

literature was pretty good

economy was humming

movies: sweet movies like Heat and Lion King and Shawshank and Tarrantino and David Fincher and Spike Lee and love jones

sports: Jordan Bulls and the Yankees and the cowboys and college basketball was sweet

kind of an emergence from the regan neoliberalism (culturally, in a way, i guess) and berlin wall was down and computers were exciting but not yet excessively intrusive

if a lot of arguing reflects a peak i'd say we're there

Back