• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

When Football Is Bad and Basketball Is Worse - WFU Dig

This is a misleading thread title.

Terrible title.

However, I did attend the signing event last night and noticed that Wellman and his posse arrived around 5:55. He was conspicuously absent from the entire event after arrival.
In fact, he disappeared into the crowd.

Really odd for such a pompous ass as him. He just came in, sat down, ate and I guess left. Never spoke. Never even saw him working the room.

I think Ron may very well be out. Very soon.

Damn! Got excited for a min when I saw this thread title.....could be so lucky.

I find it amusing that people hate on Wellman so much when he made two hires that people are loving in football and basketball now. Bzd didn't work out and Grobe was here too long. But he also hired Prosser and Grobe. He's done more good for Wake than most on this board.

Wellman put both programs in a position where those good hires will take at least another year or two to get the program in good shape.

Terrible title.

However, I did attend the signing event last night and noticed that Wellman and his posse arrived around 5:55. He was conspicuously absent from the entire event after arrival.
In fact, he disappeared into the crowd.

Really odd for such a pompous ass as him. He just came in, sat down, ate and I guess left. Never spoke. Never even saw him working the room.

I think Ron may very well be out. Very soon.

He knows people don't like him and won't help fundraising.

I find it amusing that people hate on Wellman so much when he made two hires that people are loving in football and basketball now. Bzd didn't work out and Grobe was here too long. But he also hired Prosser and Grobe. He's done more good for Wake than most on this board.

And way more harm than anyone could even dream of.

Wellman ruined his own legacy. He decided, on his own, to burn our beloved basketball program to the ground (an unforgivable offense).

#Wellmanout - Now and Forever.

Another Wellman bobber.

Why did WFU even come up in that article?

Watch Ron Wellman talk to the media about the 'resignation' of Jeff [Redacted] and tell me if Ron was actually ready to get rid of him.

I'm not sure I'm ready for a world where Jeff [Redacted] joins an NBA team and they might well be the favorite to win an NBA title year 1

This. Bezzzzz was a disaster, but that shouldn't define RW's legacy. There's no reason to dismiss the success he's brought us in both of our platform sports, and they both look to be heading in the right direction, albeit a few years later than most of us wanted.

This. Bezzzzz was a disaster, but that shouldn't define RW's legacy. There's no reason to dismiss the success he's brought us in both of our platform sports, and they both look to be heading in the right direction, albeit a few years later than most of us wanted.

This is so stupid. First, it's way too early to declare this for either sport. Second, Wellman is solely responsible for putting both sports in a position from which they have any need to head in the right direction.

I would hope he's done more good for Wake than any of us since he's been a paid employee (and a handsomely paid one) of the university for the last quarter-century.

Apart from the hiring of [Redacted] - which was contemptible and showed stunningly bad judgment for a guy occupying Wellman's salary line - I don't have many major gripes with Wellman's tenure here. I don't doubt that he's a fine man and able person in many ways. But all business enterprises eventually need new leadership and fresh ideas, and the Wake AD is way overdue for that. All of us I'm sure can point to lots of little things within the culture of the AD and DC that could be improved, and I think will be in the future.

Wake has made RW and his family very well-off and I don't begrudge him a happy retirement. But it's time for change.

Yep, the bzzzz hire was terrible. Criticizing Wellman for football? I don't get it.

Back