• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

When Football Is Bad and Basketball Is Worse - WFU Dig

The one thing I really worry about is that the admin will simply hire one of Wellman's acolytes, basically resulting in a continuation of Wellman's tenure for another 20+ years. Feel strongly that the next AD should come from outside the university. The job description looks nothing now like it did 25 years ago.

10 year extension.

Everybody was eager to wrap up JG at the time. And I don't think the deal had much impact on how long he was here. We were 5-3 in the ACC 2 yrs before he was let go.

Wellman's problem wasn't the [Redacted] hire. It was the way he acted defending his mistake. OH HEAVENS YES. He is a smug asshole and [Redacted] would still be here today if Ron had his way.

Wellman's problem wasn't the [Redacted] hire. It was the way he acted defending his mistake. OH HEAVENS YES. He is a smug asshole and [Redacted] would still be here today if Ron had his way.

Both the hire and the defense of the hire. The hire was a mistake. Period. The defense was an outrageous insult - perpetuated for nearly four years - against the entire Wake community and all of the fans. Mistakes can be corrected, outrageous insults most likely can't, especially when you don't apologize and carry on as if no apology were needed.

Both the hire and the defense of the hire. The hire was a mistake. Period. The defense was an outrageous insult - perpetuated for nearly four years - against the entire Wake community and all of the fans. Mistakes can be corrected, outrageous insults most likely can't, especially when you don't apologize and carry on as if no apology were needed.
Pos rep

Everybody was eager to wrap up JG at the time. And I don't think the deal had much impact on how long he was here. We were 5-3 in the ACC 2 yrs before he was let go.

Everybody? Why give a career .500 coach a ten-year extension at an absurd salary?

If you do, there is a very strong possibility that will not go well. It didn't.

Agree with bluefish. There was no reason to extend a 10-year contract. We have no reason to believe it was the necessary component to keep Grobe. It was just Wellman stupidity; he was handing them out at the time. Remember that he also gave Skip a 10-year contract -- without any hardware to show. I agree with Chris though that it would've been hard to fire Grobe much sooner than happened in actuality due to the faux "progress" in 2011 (still a losing season though). What I fault Wellman for is the lack of oversight of Grobe's increasingly complacent management of the program. Wellman sat there making excuses and fiddling as Rome burned, and citing historical competitiveness.

The football program was steadily falling apart and Wellman and most of the fan base just defended it.

The football program was steadily falling apart and Wellman and most of the fan base just defended it.

This. Revisionist history, aside, there was very little criticism of Grobe going into his last season despite the fact that our descent was obvious to just about everybody not wearing LOWF glasses.

Clawson just pulled in our best class ever when a lot of yall still believe that we can't compete for this caliber talent on a consistent basis.

Back