• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

When Should I worry that my daughter is not talking.

jamesda3

Reaction score
My daughter will not talk outside of maybe 5-8 words. She just turned 2 December 1 so I am not as concerned about it yet. My son was talking, knew how to count, and knew his abc's by 1. Me and my wife are debating giving her till she turns three before we consult for speech therapy. Anyone have any experience with this?

My daughter will not talk outside of maybe 5-8 words. She just turned 2 December 1 so I am not as concerned about it yet. My son was talking, knew how to count, and knew his abc's by 1. Me and my wife are debating giving her till she turns three before we consult for speech therapy. Anyone have any experience with this?

See if she can use numbers to predict tragedies

Be thankful. My kid was speaking sentences at a year and hasn't stopped...

My son was not talking at all at 14-15 months. Had a bunch of ear infections so he couldn't hear so well for a while, which affected his speech. Got tubes put in, did speech therapy, and now, at 2 years, 3 months, he won't shut up. My recommendation, and what we were told, is that the sooner you do speech therapy, the better. Plus, our speech therapist was crazy hot. Can't guarantee that for you.

as with most medical/psychological conditions, the best advice you can get is right here on the pit. doctors just run up a bill and add no discernable value.

My niece didn't talk much at first because my sister was making her watch sign language DVDs. Then one day at like 2 years 3 months she just started talking all the time.

When she was 10 months old she came over and played with the cat in my avatar and my Siamese kitten. When she was 16 months old she came over and could only find the cat in my avatar then pointed to a closed door and signed "more" and "cats". They are scary little creatures, just because she is not talking does not mean she is not learning and I am sure one of these days she will just bust out some sentences.

A few questions first:
Are you in NC? If so, what county?
What does your pediatrician say?
Have you had her hearing checked since her newborn screening?
How are her other oral motor things? Does she use a sippy cup and/or can she sip through a straw?

The link that ipity posted is a good "guideline" for development but obviously every child is different. Does your son talk a lot? Sometimes the 2nd child will talk a little bit later because the older child is kind of doing the talking for them. If they play together a lot then your son may direct a lot of the play or understand what your daughter is doing and take away some of the "need" for your daughter to communicate on her own.

Some things that you can do with her are to narrate everything you do. You may already do this but keep it up. Especially use a word or 2 to describe what you're doing and name everything. This can help her to understand that every object has a name.

When you are saying words, hold the object next to your mouth or somehow direct her attention towards your face. Sometimes it is an issue of not understanding how to form the sounds/words so watching your lips move can be helpful. So hold her favorite toy or her cup up next to your lips and name it for her. This also sometimes occurs for a 2nd+ child because your son may not enunciate or form his words very clearly (especially if he is still younger).

How does she communicate what she wants? Does she point, bring it to you, bring you to it? When you are getting her breakfast or a snack or she is indicating that she wants something, hold 2 things in front of her and say "Do you want milk (hold it out) or do you want apple juice (hold that one out)?" Try to get her to say the word before you will give it to her. That doesn't mean don't give it to her if she doesn't say it, or to force the issue. Just don't do it immediately. Sometimes this is difficult to find the time to do and it is easier to just give the child what they want if you can figure it out with nonverbal cues but sometimes children don't talk because they just kind of don't need to; they're getting what they want without it so they don't put forth the effort.

albert einstein was slow to start speaking, and look how he turned out.

Didn't he fail math? What a loser.

Also didn't think the universe was expanding. Mega loser.

James, I think the referral to a speech therapist is a good idea, if for no other reason to ease your concerns. My sister was all concerned when my niece was about 2 and a half to 4 and was slurring a lot of her words. Eventually grew out of it, and the speech therapist had told them to chill. OTOH, a couple of my friends have a kid who is 5 now and has been working with a speech therapist for 2 years b/c she's been speech delayed - her brain freezes when she's thinking about talking but is fine when she's not thinking about it.

My other sister got both of her kids tested when they were in 2nd grade just to see what kind of academic situation would give them the best chance to succeed. I think testing for whatever issue is a good idea if you think something may be a problem.

Last edited:
A few questions first:
Are you in NC? If so, what county?
What does your pediatrician say?
Have you had her hearing checked since her newborn screening?
How are her other oral motor things? Does she use a sippy cup and/or can she sip through a straw?

The link that ipity posted is a good "guideline" for development but obviously every child is different. Does your son talk a lot? Sometimes the 2nd child will talk a little bit later because the older child is kind of doing the talking for them. If they play together a lot then your son may direct a lot of the play or understand what your daughter is doing and take away some of the "need" for your daughter to communicate on her own.

Some things that you can do with her are to narrate everything you do. You may already do this but keep it up. Especially use a word or 2 to describe what you're doing and name everything. This can help her to understand that every object has a name.

When you are saying words, hold the object next to your mouth or somehow direct her attention towards your face. Sometimes it is an issue of not understanding how to form the sounds/words so watching your lips move can be helpful. So hold her favorite toy or her cup up next to your lips and name it for her. This also sometimes occurs for a 2nd+ child because your son may not enunciate or form his words very clearly (especially if he is still younger).

How does she communicate what she wants? Does she point, bring it to you, bring you to it? When you are getting her breakfast or a snack or she is indicating that she wants something, hold 2 things in front of her and say "Do you want milk (hold it out) or do you want apple juice (hold that one out)?" Try to get her to say the word before you will give it to her. That doesn't mean don't give it to her if she doesn't say it, or to force the issue. Just don't do it immediately. Sometimes this is difficult to find the time to do and it is easier to just give the child what they want if you can figure it out with nonverbal cues but sometimes children don't talk because they just kind of don't need to; they're getting what they want without it so they don't put forth the effort.

My children have had 3 pediatricians in their 4 and 2yo short lives and we hardly ever get to see our current one because she only worked part time. We live in Stokes County, NC. We loved our previous pediatrician, she was a Wake grad and had 2 young kids, but wanted to spend more time at home with her kids and I think she had another. She use to sit on the hill real nice lady. Now the staff has went from 4 pediatricians to 1.5 and we feel we can never get time.

Her other oral functions seems fine she drinks through straws and uses sippy cups. Her hearing has been tested and is fine.

My son is a huge problem with her I believe as he often answers for her and never lets her try to talk.

Are there really that many pricks here for all the tags about my 2yo daughter? Nice people.

Back