• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

When strangers ask you for money/food/etc.

myDeaconmyhand

First man to get a team of horses up Bear Mountain
Reaction score
What do you do when you are approached by strangers in public who ask you for money/food/etc.? I don’t mean people begging on street corners, but those who approach you 1 on 1.

From living close to Baptist and Novant Hospital in Winston I am occasionally approached by men (nearly always men) who have a story about needing money to travel to and from the hospital. I don’t usually believe the stories but I occasionally help these strangers anyway, usually depending on whether or not it is daylight.

At times, I have been known to give any left over take home food from a restaurant meal to them.

Never money because we know that usually won't end well.

At times, I have been known to give any left over take home food from a restaurant meal to them.

Never money because we know that usually won't end well.

I’ll give cash if I have some on me and easily accessible. But I rarely have cash on me.

I’ll give food. One time I was walking from my hotel to a meeting in DC. A man who would look like a senator if he had a suit on asked me for money for food. I happened to have a muffin and a bagel from the continental breakfast at the hotel. I offered it to him and he turned it down and wanted cash instead.

I try to make eye contact, listen to their story, and tell them I’m really sorry that happened to them and hope it gets better soon or something like that. Whether I give depends on what I have and the situation. Even if they’re lying, their life has to be pretty rough to be begging. But for the grace of God go I.

I try to make eye contact, listen to their story, and tell them I’m really sorry that happened to them and hope it gets better soon or something like that. Whether I give depends on what I have and the situation. Even if they’re lying, their life has to be pretty rough to be begging. But for the grace of God go I.

This is my strategy when I am approached in a safe scenario (as apposed to a dark empty parking lot). I realize that many of these people are probably lying about their situation, and maybe will use the money to buy drugs or alcohol, but ultimately I can only control my own kindness and charity, and hope for the best.

He asked me for a dime, a dime for a cup of coffee

I got no dime, but I got some time to hear his stooorrrryy

I’ve bought them a meal on occasion.

Rarely give money. Always try and treat them with respect.

This is a near daily occurrence for me, and I generally just say something along the lines of, “I’m sorry I don’t have anything on me.” Which is true.

If I have cash I'll give some cash when I feel there seems to be honesty in the interaction. I don't lose anything of importance. I'm confident that the people I've helped are more than the people that scammed me.

Having said that...

Best interaction ever was a dude in DC that said, "can anyone help a brother get a 40oz or some weed."

We emptied our pockets.

Back