• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Whitehouse

Overwhelmingly bipartisan and created via the legislative process as a reaction to an unprecedented crisis and passed on March 27th.

vs...

a half assed attempt to fulfill a campaign promise that circumvented the legislative process 3 months before the election.

They knew it had a near zero chance to survive a legal challenge but needed the juice for the midterms so they went with it anyway.
Half-assed? Maybe
Short sighted? Surely
Smart? Yes
Certainly beats treating student borrowers like the enemy or lazy or entitled etc.
surely a solution will come - or republicans will continue gerrymandering and vote squashing to retain power despite 70% of the country despising what they’ve devolved into - and we will all be rightly and royally fucked

I won't argue the efficacy. It got the desired, and IMO very necessary, result at the ballot box. But I'm not gonna pretend it was anything more than that.

Here's to a win next year and a good faith legislative effort to make some real structural changes.

Or - an actual human being with a mind and soul does an exorcism over the right and shakes them from whatever fucked up spell they’re under, saves the Republican Party, and everybody wins and America is not a National Lampoon’s cartoon.

I’ll be long dead or the country will, I’m sure

Over 90% of PPP funds went towards payrolls. It was an effective subsidization of paychecks for a good number of people.
Sure but a lot of businesses still had revenue coming in and now all of a sudden the government was giving them money for payroll. So people like The Reff got a nice handout that they could use to pay their expenses and they could keep their revenue for themselves.

Sure but a lot of businesses still had revenue coming in and now all of a sudden the government was giving them money for payroll. So people like The Reff got a nice handout that they could use to pay their expenses and they could keep their revenue for themselves.

It is.

If the goal was to pay people, the government could have just paid people. But the goal of PPP was to give free money to the wealthiest people under the guise of helping regular people.

This is one of the biggest problems with our government. Government assistance passes through so many hands. Regular people can't get help without making rich people richer.

The PPA funds "went" to payroll, But if your business didn't change any then the money it replaced that didn't go to payroll went straight to profit.
Or maybe to pay off some other business debts! It’s like a debt forgiveness program with an extra couple of steps.

Or maybe to pay off some other business debts! It’s like a debt forgiveness program with an extra couple of steps.

Fewer steps. They just had to apply, get the money, and spend it.

Yep and I complied with the law, used it for business in paying salaries and was indeed losing income during that time due to Covid.
Exactly what PPP was to be used for and the forgiveness designed for. Those of you not self employed, having never written a paycheck in your life, nor matched the 7.65% FICA withheld from your employees paychecks would not know what this is about either. That 7.65% comes out of the employers pocket.
College loans, car loans, house loans never came with any kind of forgiveness clause. Biden knew that when he said it and was only trying to buy votes.
Hard for you to be a more pathetic human.

Let's be fair, Operation Warp Speed was a thing and it worked.

It's only partially his fault that his supporters were too dumb to trust it.
Yes, let’s be fair. Please tell me how Operation Warp Speed got the first vaccine to market?

Thank you for responding. I can google. I think some are misinformed with respect to how the vaccines were developed and distributed. Pfizer was the first to have a COVID vaccine available and did so independent of OWS. Further, OWS did nothing to organize the delivery of the vaccines to people. That was left up to the states.
I think some, in their effort to try to give Trump some credit, misrepresent the role of the Federal Government and Trump.

Back