• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who Is Our Next Basketball Coach?

I will jump on the Groce bandwagon.

I also like Scott Drew and think he could dominate at Wake but he's not a Wellman type guy.
What is a Wellman type of guy? I'm being serious. Skip and Bzz could not be more dissimilar. One is outgoing, recruits big name talent, pushes to ball--the other plays a princeton offense (kind of), looks for under the radar recruits, and is the furthest thing from charismatic I have ever seen. The Shakas, Hurleys, etc...seem to be in the Skip camp.

while stylistically different - i think Wellman sees both as people who do things the "right way" and represent the university as a whole well. I don't think Wellman gives two thoughts to folks who have questionable reputations.**

**this is from my view Wellman's perspective, not my view of how well any current or former coach represents the university.

while stylistically different - i think Wellman sees both as people who do things the "right way" and represent the university as a whole well. I don't think Wellman gives two thoughts to folks who have questionable reputations.**

**this is from my view Wellman's perspective, not my view of how well any current or former coach represents the university.
Fair enough, though I'd argue that Bzz's lack of personality isn't a great reflection of the University. At his best, he's extremely bland.

Just did some research on Gregg Marshall. I don't care if he has an extraneous 'g' in his name. I don't care if he is an asshole. I don't care if he slept with Wellman's mother and didn't call her back the next day. We need to hire him asap before another high major program wises up and does it. The guy is a straight up baller.

His resume:
Winthrop
1998-1999: 21-8
1999-2000: 21-9
2000-2001: 18-13
2001-2002: 19-12
2002-2003: 20-10
2003-2004: 16-12
2004-2005: 27-6
2005-2006: 23-8
2006-2007: 29-5
Wichita State
2007-2008: 11-20
2008-2009: 17-17
2009-2010: 25-10
2010-2011: 29-8
2011-2012: 22-4 (so far)

Okay, so at Winthrop he didn't do much of anything the 7 times he made the NCAA tournament (one win), but he made the tournament 7 out of 9 seasons at Winthrop. Winthrop! For context, his predecessor didn't have as single winning season in 6 and only won more than 7 games in a season twice. In contrast, the Eagles finished below 2nd in the conference only once during Marshall's tenure (3rd).

His first two seasons at Wichita State were a little rough, but in 2006-2007 Mark Turgeon, who I consider to be a hell of a coach, only won 17 games and when Marshall took over about 100 MPG left the program via graduation or transfer (mostly by transfer, pretty much the only redmark among the facts).

By 2009-2010 they were back at a high level. Went 12-6 in conference and went 2-1 in the MVC tournament, losing in the championship game to Northern Iowa (aka: the team that went to the Sweet 16 after upsetting overall top seed Kansas). 2010-2011 they again lost in the MVC championship and again just missed the NCAA tournment, but went onto beat Nebraska (by 27), Virginia Tech (by 3 in OT), College of Charleston (by 7), Washington State (by 31), and Alabama (by 11) to win the NIT Championship. This year they stand at 22-4, notching wins against UNLV (by 19), Creighton (by 21), and Colorado (by 9). Losses are Creighton (by 7), Alabama (by 10), Temple (by 4 in OT), and, inexplicably, Drake (by 7 in triple OT).

I can't believe a big program hasn't moved on this guy yet. What he did at Winthrop was amazing, and he has Wichita State in a very good place. Here's where they stand in Kenpom: #9 overall, #9 adjustedO, and #24 adjustedD. This guy can flat out coach, regardless of what personality quirks he might have.

Marshall would be the best possible choice we have a realistic shot at.

But what I've heard is that Marshall has the kind of "alpha dog" personality that threatens/off-puts Wellman, and maybe Hatch as well.

But what I've heard is that Marshall has the kind of "alpha dog" personality that threatens/off-puts Wellman, and maybe Hatch as well.

Those Marshall stats are sick......why hasn't he been plucked by a big name program?

Just did some research on Gregg Marshall. I don't care if he has an extraneous 'g' in his name. I don't care if he is an asshole. I don't care if he slept with Wellman's mother and didn't call her back the next day. We need to hire him asap before another high major program wises up and does it. The guy is a straight up baller.

His resume:
Winthrop
1998-1999: 21-8
1999-2000: 21-9
2000-2001: 18-13
2001-2002: 19-12
2002-2003: 20-10
2003-2004: 16-12
2004-2005: 27-6
2005-2006: 23-8
2006-2007: 29-5
Wichita State
2007-2008: 11-20
2008-2009: 17-17
2009-2010: 25-10
2010-2011: 29-8

2011-2012: 22-4 (so far)

Okay, so at Winthrop he didn't do much of anything the 7 times he made the NCAA tournament (one win), but he made the tournament 7 out of 9 seasons at Winthrop. Winthrop! For context, his predecessor didn't have as single winning season in 6 and only won more than 7 games in a season twice. In contrast, the Eagles finished below 2nd in the conference only once during Marshall's tenure (3rd).

His first two seasons at Wichita State were a little rough, but in 2006-2007 Mark Turgeon, who I consider to be a hell of a coach, only won 17 games and when Marshall took over about 100 MPG left the program via graduation or transfer (mostly by transfer, pretty much the only redmark among the facts).

By 2009-2010 they were back at a high level. Went 12-6 in conference and went 2-1 in the MVC tournament, losing in the championship game to Northern Iowa (aka: the team that went to the Sweet 16 after upsetting overall top seed Kansas). 2010-2011 they again lost in the MVC championship and again just missed the NCAA tournment, but went onto beat Nebraska (by 27), Virginia Tech (by 3 in OT), College of Charleston (by 7), Washington State (by 31), and Alabama (by 11) to win the NIT Championship. This year they stand at 22-4, notching wins against UNLV (by 19), Creighton (by 21), and Colorado (by 9). Losses are Creighton (by 7), Alabama (by 10), Temple (by 4 in OT), and, inexplicably, Drake (by 7 in triple OT).

I can't believe a big program hasn't moved on this guy yet. What he did at Winthrop was amazing, and he has Wichita State in a very good place. Here's where they stand in Kenpom: #9 overall, #9 adjustedO, and #24 adjustedD. This guy can flat out coach, regardless of what personality quirks he might have.

Yup.

BTW, for those who might be confused by our emperor with no clothes, that is what the results of a legitimate rebuilding effort are supposed to look like. See also Odom, Dave (1989-1993).

I wouldn't disagree with this. It might also indicate that it's time to thank Mr. Wellman for his contributions and look for an AD with higher aspirations.

Well so does coach K...he runs that school and the AD does whatever he says...I wonder if Wellman would turn down Coach K should he decide he wants to ditch the blue (obviously never happens).

Well so does coach K...he runs that school and the AD does whatever he says...I wonder if Wellman would turn down Coach K should he decide he wants to ditch the blue (obviously never happens).

K basically strongarmed the new president at Duke during the Lakers mess. New president had only been on the job a few months and was out in K-Ville with the Crazies begging K to stay.

Back