• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who Is Our Next Basketball Coach?

Fucking karma for Wellman that we probably won't be able to find a coach better than Dino in our next coaching search. I hope Wellman has the good sense to hire an up and comer with charisma, rather than a 59 year old with no personality. A shitty form-letter recommendation from Greg Popovich doesn't put asses in seats.

Danny Hurley... I imagine he would bring his brother Bobby...

Hurley is legit. They can recruit too. Wouldn't be a bad thing to get a pipeline of NYC based recruits coming in. They are young and passionate. I can't believe I'm advocating for Bobby Hurley to be associated with this school. damn you Bzzz and Wellman!

Don't ban me... I'm just saying Bobby is one of Danny's assistants. Maybe we can pry Wojo from the rat's taint while we are at it.

Don't ban me... I'm just saying Bobby is one of Danny's assistants. Maybe we can pry Wojo from the rat's taint while we are at it.

Can I go ahead and start the Wojo-out movement? Brey is the only K disciple worthy of considering.

2008-2009: 16-14
2009-2010: 5-26
Danny Hurley hired
2010-2011: 13-17
2011-2012: 21-4

This season they have split their games against high majors, winning at Pitt by 4 and losing at UConn by 12. Their other 3 losses were by single digits, two of them to #1 in the conference Long Island (19-7, 13-1) and the other to Lehigh (19-7, 7-3 in the Patriot league). Kenpom has them at #72 overall, #44 in adjusted defensive efficiency, #126 in adjusted offensive efficiency, and #116 in tempo. Compare this to last year's NEC leaders:
Overall: Long Island #115
D: Central Connecticut #103
O: Long Island #77
T: Long Island #3

I can't say I have ever watched Wagner play, but looks like he's made a pretty tangible impact on that program pretty quickly and has them operating at a very high level for a NEC team, especially on defense. I would be weary of a low major guy, but he's got a great resume for one, especially if paired with a top recruiter.

If we're going that route I would also want to look at Bucknell's Dave Paulsen.

http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2008/06/losing_groce_to_ohio_u_a_big_l.html

Matta has never been a head coach without Groce, 36, by his side, first at Butler, then at Xavier and for the last four years at Ohio State. Heavily involved in the recruitment of players like Greg Oden and Mike Conley Jr., Groce on the sideline served as something close to Matta's offensive coordinator, writing out plays on a wipeboard and directing traffic while Matta concentrated more of his energies on defense.

Possessing a feel for how Matta wanted to attack opposing defenses, Groce became particularly valuable this season as Matta was forced to be less active on the sideline while continuing a long and sometimes painful recovery from back surgery.

"We laugh, because I can start a sentence and he finishes it and vice versa," Matta told the Plain Dealer during OSU's Final Four run two seasons ago. "He knows what I'm thinking and I know what he's thinking. We just have a few differences every now and then."

After designing one play on the fly during a win at Michigan State two years ago, which led to a dunk for Greg Oden, the former Buckeye center called Groce a genius.

Amaker has done a good job at Harvard.

Anyway... what's the issue with Gregg Marshall? Is he a d-bag or something?

Then you've got:

Steve Alford
Kevin Willard
Paul Lusk having a good year out of the Matt Painter tree
John Groce
Keith Dambrot - lebron's hs coach
Steve Prohm is crushing in his first year
Tad Boyle and keep stealing CU coaches, except this guy doesn't suck ass
Brett Reed

i'm all-in on the groce bandwagon.

In spirit of the election year and the Anybody but Obama cry, I'd like to start an Anybody but Buzz campaign slogan. I'm pretty sure Stephen Colbert would be a better coach...

That's the story on Marshall. I'd cross out Dambrot too looking at his "incident" at Central Michigan.

It looks like Willard did a nice job rebuilding at Iona but his recruiting at Seton Hall has been mostly meh and they are only decent this year because of guys his predecessor recruited.

I know nothing about Lusk, but he inherited a very veteran team from Cuonzo this year. Same with Prohm and Billy Kennedy.

I guess I'm biased, but Groce pwns the rest of those guys, imo. He's actually a proven recruiter at a big school, has some ACC ties and is supposedly an offensive genius. And he's done a good job bringing some solid players to Ohio. They have no seniors this year.

Amaker has done a good job at Harvard.

Anyway... what's the issue with Gregg Marshall? Is he a d-bag or something?

Then you've got:

Steve Alford
Kevin Willard
Paul Lusk having a good year out of the Matt Painter tree
John Groce
Keith Dambrot - lebron's hs coach
Steve Prohm is crushing in his first year
Tad Boyle and keep stealing CU coaches, except this guy doesn't suck ass
Brett Reed

No offense but that's a terrible list. I might just as soon keep Bz. LOL at Dambrot. Wellman will definitely pick that guy up. And Alford said no when we hired Bz.

The only downside to Groce is that he seems very midwesty. But you could have said the same thing about Skip.

I tried to pick realistic coaches with some upside. Who would you suggest?

I would make Brad Stevens and Shaka Smart turn us down before I started on the list below.

Gregg Marshall
Ben Howland (he's close to getting fired at UCLA)
Dave Paulsen
John Groce
Bryce Drew

Back