• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who Is Our Next Basketball Coach?

Huh? 17-13 with no postseason after a epic 4 game collapse to end the regular season? I know that crap looks pretty good now, but that was no a reason to keep an interim coach.

As far as firing Dino, people really seem to forget how he got roasted in the media after Miami.

That team exceeded all expectations and had a big win against Duke before it clearly ran out of gas emotionally after everything it had been through. Say what you want but Dino did a very good job that year.

According to LD Williams, that was the most talented team to ever miss the ncaa tournament. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of the coach.

If its well man. Who knows. Scott sutton. The guy from liberty or presby.

Frank Martin is Bruce Pearl v2.0, but I could probably live with that at this point.

What do people think about Dan Monson? He never did much of anything at Minnesota, but he had an elite 8 at Gonzaga and has turned around Long Beach State into a legit team.

I worry about the lack of east coast connections. I don't think he recruited very well at MN where he was out of his region.

Package deal -- John Currie and Frank Martin?

The picture above your post was Dan Lebetard and Frank Martin...I hope it's not those two...

Why would Martin come to Wake where he couldn't take many of the playe he signs at KSU?

Buzz Williams, Marquette.

2008-09: 25-10 (12-6), NCAA Tournament 2nd round
2009-10: 22-12 (11-7), NCAA Tournament 1st round
2010-11: 22-15 (9-9), NCAA Tournament Sweet 16
2011-12: 21-5 (10-3)

90-42 (42-25) at Marquette

39 years old

If you can look past his first name (which is actually Brent), it seems like there's a lot to like about him.

Why would he leave Marquette who is paying hmi $2M/year?

We will not get a coach from another major school. We are probably in the bottom 5 BCS schools right now and there is major rebuilding to be done. This is a job for an up and comer...which Wellman didn't have on his original list...so I see Wellman being shown the door too when the time comes.

We will not get a coach from another major school. We are probably in the bottom 5 BCS schools right now and there is major rebuilding to be done. This is a job for an up and comer...which Wellman didn't have on his original list...so I see Wellman being shown the door too when the time comes.

I think the less established coaches in one of the shakier power conferences (read: the Big 12 and Big East) would consider Wake. Buzz Williams does not qualify, though I'd kill to have him. I'm thinking someone like Kevin Willard at Seton Hall, although I am not blown away by what he has done there (although I don't really know what the state of the program was when he took over).

In the up-and-comer category (since Stevens, Mooney, Smart don't really qualify anymore), I like Tim Cluess at Iona, although he isn't particularly young.

Last edited:
It still amazes me that we hired a 50 something year old coach from Colorado whose best finish was 8th in the Pac-10 to coach our team.

My top two choices are Shaka Smart and Gregg Marshall. The first one is admittedly a pipe dream. Offer him double his salary and hope he makes the jump. I dont see him even thinking about leaving for anything else. I think Marshall is the more realistic alternative. I think he would love to come back to ACC country and coach here.

While I like Frank Martin and would enjoy watching him stare down his team; I really don't see him leaving K-State. On a personal level I would like to see Rick Majerus in Winston. He has done an outstanding job in finally turning around St. Louis Univ. Realistically though, I would be extremely happy with going after one of Frank Haith's assistants.

That team exceeded all expectations and had a big win against Duke before it clearly ran out of gas emotionally after everything it had been through. Say what you want but Dino did a very good job that year.

Not the first Wake team to collapse down the stretch and not the last. The whole point of keeping Dino was to make sure the team played at a high level while dealing with Prosser's loss. That didn't happen.

While I like Frank Martin and would enjoy watching him stare down his team; I really don't see him leaving K-State. On a personal level I would like to see Rick Majerus in Winston. He has done an outstanding job in finally turning around St. Louis Univ. Realistically though, I would be extremely happy with going after one of Frank Haith's assistants.

At 63 I don't think Rick Majerus would take another job.

Tim Fuller would be an interesting option, especially if we can land an experienced x's and o's guy to assist.

Back