• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who Is Our Next Basketball Coach?

John Groce got the credit from Matta for our Butler disaster so that would be hard to overlook. I would like to see a cool guy like Shaka along our sideline.

The name means nothing to me. Just give me someone with some basketball knowledge, some character, and some fire, i.e. a clone of Skip.

Shaka gets paid 1.2 million dollars a year.

Can we offer enough money, and are we an attractive enough job for him to leave VCU? I highly doubt it.

I'm sure he's biding his time until an elite program comes calling.

I don't think Shaka will work for Wellman so I would be happy with Jeff Battle all things considered.

Can we offer enough money, and are we an attractive enough job for him to leave VCU? I highly doubt it.

With the new tv deal money we'll be getting, we should be able to double or triple that kind of money for a basketball coach. But I'm not sure we would.

Two years ago I would have said Wake basketball was an elite program and a very attractive job. Wellman's "culture" has turned us into a turd program.

I don't think Shaka will work for Wellman so I would be happy with Jeff Battle all things considered.

Unfortunately the bold above may be true of any really good coaching prospect. That fact may mean that we have to look at younger, less proven but hopefully promising coaching talent. And I think that we could do (and obviously did with Buzz) much worse than promoting Coach Battle. I would love to see Battle have an opportunity to finish this season. I believe that he and the players would surprise a lot of people.

With the new tv deal money we'll be getting, we should be able to double or triple that kind of money for a basketball coach. But I'm not sure we would.

It may take a significant salary premium to get a proven coach like Shaka to work for Wellman so it's good to know that there's going to be a big bump in TV revenue.

Why do you think no one would want work for Wellman? He's well respected around the country even if he did make a questionable hire last time.

Because the coaching frat. doesn't go by that pr bs. They see that Wellman appointed Dino then fired him after winning an NCAA game for not winning enough meaningless Acc tourney games to keep the fatcats happy and having toomany players with tats.

We had players accused of rape on national Tv. I think the coaching fraternal would take that into consideration.

Well you should be very pleased with our current coach then.

We had players accused of rape on national Tv. I think the coaching fraternal would take that into consideration.

And Wellman waited a year later to let him go?

That said, I don't think coaches would have a problem working with RW.

The good news is that if Wellman's prime criteria for a candidate is that he's the coach of a team that ran train on us at one point, we'll have no shortage of candidates.

And Wellman waited a year later to let him go?

Who cares at this point? I'm not interested in derailing another thread with this same argument.

I disagree that coaches will refuse to work for Wellman and I'll leave it at that.

Last edited:
Who is the AD who makes the hire- Wellman? Probably someone like Mike Young, the coach at Wofford. Or Robbie Laing at Campbell. We're not going to get any of the hot coaches that everyone is talking about. Just look how well the last search went. A guy who was on no one's radar and finished last, last, and eighth in the Big 12 became our coach. What a resume. I'm just glad he brought his unbelievable "system" (a modified version of the Princeton offense that was a thing of beauty if I recall- at least that's what I was told on the old board) to Winston- at a cost of around a million dollars per year. That's the thing about Bz- he teaches the fundamentals.

I tend to agree with this line of thinking.

Who cares at this point? I'm not interested in derailing another thread with this same argument.

I disagree that coaches will refuse to work for Wellman and I'll leave it at that.

I don't disagree. I just don't think that this allegation would hold any weight for coaches. It was a dismissed charge and the accused wasn't even prevented from playing with the team the following year. Obviously it wasn't that big of a deal to the athletic administration.

Last edited:
Because the coaching frat. doesn't go by that pr bs. They see that Wellman appointed Dino then fired him after winning an NCAA game for not winning enough meaningless Acc tourney games to keep the fatcats happy and having toomany players with tats.

Yeah, Kentucky sure couldn't attract any "big name" coaches after how they treated Gillispie!!!

Those big name coaches in the "coaching frat" sure want nothing to do w/ an AD who has a quick trigger finger against one of their frat brothers.

I dont believe any of this. Coaches know it's a matter of when, not if, you get fired in this business.

Not to mention, coaching at Wake isnt exactly synonymous with high stress. This isnt Kentucky or UNC we're talking about where national championships and final fours are expected. Heck, any coach that would take us to a final four at this point would probably have a job for life.

Any coach that would be "scared" to take this job because Dino got fired probably doesnt have the chops to hack it anyway.

Last edited:
Back