• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who Is Our Next Basketball Coach?

How could any coach with any sort of confidence in his abilities look at the shit Bz has put on the floor and not think firing was a good move?

Good coaches ain't gonna shy away from Wake. In fact, I would think he would applaud the school for stepping up and cutting bait.

I hate to say it...Danny Hurley has done wonders at Wagner, unfortunately Bobby is his assistant. I'd take them over bzzz though and they can definitely recruit.

What about Tim Cluess of Iona? He has been very successful coaching high school, community college, and now at Iona.

Uh, we fired someone with the best record in WFU history after 3 years.

Uh, that same coach can seemingly only get a job behind an ESPNU desk.

Putting Dino's coaching abilities aside, that's only one example. It's not like Wake has a long history of getting rid of coaches despite their success. Nor, is it a place where the fan base is insane and out of control and calls for the coach's head if they dont go to the final four.

If we're interviewing Greg Marshall, and he wants the job, I doubt he's holding back because we fired Dino Gaudio. As I said before, any coach that looks at the state of our program and is too scared to take the job because we fired Dino is not a guy I want leading our team, anyway. I would hope whatever coach took over would be licking their chops at turning this thing around.

Uh, that same coach can seemingly only get a job behind an ESPNU desk.

Putting Dino's coaching abilities aside, that's only one example. It's not like Wake has a long history of getting rid of coaches despite their success. Nor, is it a place where the fan base is insane and out of control and calls for the coach's head if they dont go to the final four.

If we're interviewing Greg Marshall, and he wants the job, I doubt he's holding back because we fired Dino Gaudio. As I said before, any coach that looks at the state of our program and is too scared to take the job because we fired Dino is not a guy I want leading our team, anyway. I would hope whatever coach took over would be licking their chops at turning this thing around.

I have no issue with us firing Dino, but to outsiders it very likely looked pretty rash, especially in light of what has happened since.

Dont get me wrong. I get why outsiders had a problem with it. If you werent following the program as closely, it would seem like a ridiculous move. A move only made more absurd with the hiring of Bz.

All I'm saying is that I dont think that one firing will hold us back from getting our next coach. There are a variety of other things that might, but I dont think the Dino firing is one of them.

I will say that if/when Bzz is fired, Wellman needs to break the bank for our next coach.

Our program is at an all-time low. Our most diehard fans dont even care anymore. Half of this board doesnt bother to even watch the games. Our next hire has to be as much about coaching ability as it does about exciting the fan base again. Someone we can rally around. In order to get that guy, we need to be willing to throw out some serious cash.

I have no idea what our athletic program can afford, but whatever it is....that's what we should be offering.

I have a lot of issues with Wellman over the state of the basketball program, but this isn't one of them.

Based on the timing of Skip's death, we weren't going to get anyone good that late in the game. That means that at best, Dino gets the job on an interim basis. And I think you have a hard time making the argument that Dino didn't do enough his first year to keep the job.

Huh? 17-13 with no postseason after a epic 4 game collapse to end the regular season? I know that crap looks pretty good now, but that was no a reason to keep an interim coach.

As far as firing Dino, people really seem to forget how he got roasted in the media after Miami.

Last edited:
Huh? 17-13 with no postseason after a epic 4 game collapse to end the regular season? I know that crap looks pretty good now, but that was no a reason to keep an interim coach.

As far as firing Dino, people really seem to forget how he got roasted in the media after Miami.

Roy Williams was roasted Thursday. What's your point?

Call me crazy, but Frank Martin.

First, he's legit good:
2007-2008: 21-12 (10-6)
2008-2009: 22-12 (9-7)
2009-2010: 29-8 (11-5)
2010-2011: 23-11 (10-6)

Each season they went to the post season and each season they won at least one game, including making the Elite 8 in 2009. He's 8-8 in post season play. The Big 12 has been a tough conference the last couple of years too. Outside of that first year, he hasn't really been working with a ton of talent either. Once Bill Walker and Michael Beasley left after their first year, they have one five star that contributed minimally and transferred after a year.

Second, he seems to be doing it the right way. Under his leadership KSU has a very good graduation rate and has improved their APR significantly. What works against him is the fact he worked for Huggins, was originally hired to keep Beasley and Walker, and ran across a bit of a scandal while coaching high school in Miami. He seems to be pretty clean regardless. His chief recruiter was just hired by Maryland, and I think Mark Turgeon is a stand-up guy who wouldn't hire someone that operated in the gray. He also looks certifiably crazy, but, hell, I'd get over that.

Third, in Kansas he has a less extreme version of the Carolina problem, but still achieves consistently excellent results.

Fourth, he's attainable. He makes $1.6mm right now, but given he's stuck in Manhattan Kansas I imagine it wouldn't take as much as you might think to pry him away.

Fifth, this has all been a total waste of time because Ron Wellman would never hire Frank Martin. Never.

Last edited:
Marshall or Martin would be amazing. Exciting coaches who utilize talent. Honestly, I really would take any other coach in the country, because at this point they couldn't do any worse.

Miami would not touch Martin last year. He's a good coach but a recruiting violation waiting to happen. I think he would be our Butch Davis.

Well he isn't very good at it if he's cheating. Gets mostly 2 and 3 stars.

Call me crazy, but Frank Martin.

First, he's legit good:
2007-2008: 21-12 (10-6)
2008-2009: 22-12 (9-7)
2009-2010: 29-8 (11-5)
2010-2011: 23-11 (10-6)

Each season they went to the post season and each season they won at least one game, including making the Elite 8 in 2009. He's 8-8 in post season play. The Big 12 has been a tough conference the last couple of years too. Outside of that first year, he hasn't really been working with a ton of talent either. Once Bill Walker and Michael Beasley left after their first year, they have one five star that contributed minimally and transferred after a year.

Second, he seems to be doing it the right way. Under his leadership KSU has a very good graduation rate and has improved their APR significantly. What works against him is the fact he worked for Huggins, was originally hired to keep Beasley and Walker, and ran across a bit of a scandal while coaching high school in Miami. He seems to be pretty clean regardless. His chief recruiter was just hired by Maryland, and I think Mark Turgeon is a stand-up guy who wouldn't hire someone that operated in the gray. He also looks certifiably crazy, but, hell, I'd get over that.

Third, in Kansas he has a less extreme version of the Carolina problem, but still achieves consistently excellent results.

Fourth, he's attainable. He makes $1.6mm right now, but given he's stuck in Manhattan Kansas I imagine it wouldn't take as much as you might think to pry him away.

Fifth, this has all been a total waste of time because Ron Wellman would never hire Frank Martin. Never.

crazy

Back