• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who Resigns/Gets Fired Next?

ONW

Reaction score
I'd put Spicer 2:1.

"Betting odds on the next person to resign from Donald Trump’s faltering White House

It’s been a week in which the Donald Trump administration has seen a near exit, a halfway exit, a reversed exit, and a ten thousand mile non-exit. Steve Bannon nearly quit after he was removed from the National Security Council. Ezra Cohen-Watnick was fired and then un-fired. And KT McFarland is being shipped off to Singapore. So who’s next? Here are our in-house betting odds (hypothetical only, and the math doesn’t quite work) on the next person to exit the Trump administration:

Steve Bannon: 3-to-1 odds. He was removed from the National Security Council and he wasn’t happy about it. Now reports from the Wall Street Journal say Trump is on the verge of firing him entirely.

Reince Priebus: 4-to-1 odds. The same reports that say Bannon is on the chopping block also say Priebus is on the chopping block. Sounds like it could be a two for one deal.

K.T. McFarland: 5-to-1 odds. She’s leaving her National Security Council job, and Trump has offered her a job in Singapore instead (will she take it or will she quit the administration?

Rex Tillerson: 10-to-1 odds. The barely visible Secretary of State recently admitted he had no idea why he was offered the job (source), and this week he’s been saying things about Syria haven’t even made sense. But Trump’s sudden desire for a military distraction means he may be less inclined to dump his Secretary of State midstream, if only because it would look bad. And really, at this point, who else would even take the job?

Ezra Cohen-Watnick: 15-to-1 odds. When the week began, he looked like a goner. And before that he basically was fired, before Trump gave him a reprieve. But now that Devin Nunes has fallen on his own sword, there may be less heat on Cohen-Watnick for having allegedly given the classified into to Nunes in the first place. If you’re still trying to figure out who this guy is, we’ve dug up some potentially enlightening details on him (link).

Sean Spicer: 20-to-1 odds. Despite being routinely incompetent at his job, and seemingly getting worse at it as time has gone on, someone else in the Trump administration always seems to be doing something even more embarrassing than Spicer at any given time – thus saving him.

Kellyanne Conway: 30-to-1 odds. She’s taken the heat off herself lately by going completely silent. Either she’s finally figured out how to lay low and let other Trump advisers play the fool and take the heat, or she’s spent the past month accidentally locked inside a White House closet. We’d say the odds on that are 50-50."

Priebus
Spicer
Sessions (could jump to #1 after testifying this week)

Kellyanne Conway: 30-to-1 odds. She’s taken the heat off herself lately by going completely silent. Either she’s finally figured out how to lay low and let other Trump advisers play the fool and take the heat, or she’s spent the past month accidentally locked inside a White House closet. We’d say the odds on that are 50-50."

Needs updated to reflect her status as a leaker.

I really can't see bumping Spicer from the top of this list. Yeah other folks are in hot or boiling water as well but this dude's been hanging off a cliff by his fingertips since practically the inauguration. It's only a matter of time before a stiff breeze finishes the job.

The reasons I don't have Spicer first are that the WH Communications Director just quit and as much shit as Spicer has taken, if he was going to quit I think would have already. I also think Trump likes having someone else catch all the shit rather than Trump himself. Spicer gives that buffer.

Reince or Spicer. They're both in a death spiral, just a matter of who gets sucked down the drain first and then pops up on the other side as surrogate trotting around preaching the gospel of the Donald and/or getting hired by CNN.

McFarland and/or Priebus. I think Spicer is more likely to get bumped up to the vacant director of communications or whatever it's called with Huckabee replacing him. And no reason to fire Tillerson when you've already marginalized him. And I just don't see firing Bannon no matter how mad Trump gets. Bannon could do much more damage to Trump from the outside.

McFarland and/or Priebus. I think Spicer is more likely to get bumped up to the vacant director of communications or whatever it's called with Huckabee replacing him. And no reason to fire Tillerson when you've already marginalized him. And I just don't see firing Bannon no matter how mad Trump gets. Bannon could do much more damage to Trump from the outside.

I would think NATO and Paris show that Bannon is not in as much trouble as had been reported.

Kellyanne is next. I've had her pegged as the primary leak source for a good month now. No inside info, just sound reasoning. None of the leaks have ever reflected poorly upon her and just play one side against the other. She was never a Trumper in the campaign and has always been a hired hand to regurgitate sometimes unpalatable Trump truths to the media. Happy to take the money and the profile that comes with it, but likely seeing things as a long-term play for a media role in the future (the leaks secure that) and not really caring if she's canned or not. Makes you wonder who she was texting in that infamous Oval Office pic.

Back