• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who Should Be President Right Now?

ok real answer: OP are we taking on the roman model of "dictator" or are we talking within the confines of our own political system? and also, are we restricted to past U.S. president's alone?

120808_calvin_coolidge_ap_400_605.jpg

Andrew-Jackson-Portrait-494x598.jpg

Last edited:
I would of said Bill Pullman, until I attempted to watch the pilot of 1600 Penn. Dude has lost all presidential street cred appearing in that abortion of a show.

So I guess I'd say President Palmer aka Allstate Guy aka Pedro Cerrano. What a great president.

I hate the DLC and some of Clinton's advisors for what they did to Howard Dean's campaign. I wish that Bill Clinton was more liberal....but no matter what you think of Bill Clinton personally, a reasonable person would conclude that he did a helluva good job as president. If you look at the overall picture, he's probably the best president we have had in my lifetime.

I'm not sure this is a fair practice, but if you judge a President on both conditions during his term and his durable legacy, I think Clinton looks a lot worse. The economy of the 1990s was amazing, no doubt. But the boom and balanced budgets ended almost immediately after Clinton left office, and we got stuck with DOMA, DADT, Gramm-Leach-Bliley, and a handful of other retrograde "triangulation" policies that have been much more difficult to get rid of.

I'm not sure this is a fair practice, but if you judge a President on both conditions during his term and his durable legacy, I think Clinton looks a lot worse. The economy of the 1990s was amazing, no doubt. But the boom and balanced budgets ended almost immediately after Clinton left office, and we got stuck with DOMA, DADT, Gramm-Leach-Bliley, and a handful of other retrograde "triangulation" policies that have been much more difficult to get rid of.

Clinton set up a system that was destine to fail for a less skilled leader as evident by our last two Presidents.

I think that Clinton's effectiveness at "working across the aisle"....in spite of the venom spewed by the religious rightwing of the GOP....is one of his most enduring legacies. He might prove to be the last president to be able to do that in the manner in which he did. Don't know how much of that is a credit to him, though, and how much is a condemnation of Congress (and the American people who elected it) since he left office 12 years ago. For whatever reason, things have gone straight downhill in this area since he left office.

Sure, but a lot of the things he reached across the aisle to get done sucked. What do we get today for having balanced the budget in the late 90s? What do we have today in terms of DOMA, prison "reform," and unregulated derivatives?

My opinion has been informed by these

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/msnbc/48923064#48923064
http://delong.typepad.com/sdj/2012/...administration-budget-balancing-policies.html

I'm surprised the board Libertarians haven't submitted their candidate. I'm all for shaking up the two party system and the chaos a third party President would bring. Bull Moose will rise again!

Back