• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who should start next week?

Who should be Wake's Starting QB vs Indiana

• Wolford

Votes: 114 63.7%
  • Hinton

Votes: 56 31.3%
  • Kearns

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Doofus/Numbers

Votes: 7 3.9%

• Total voters
I'd be ok trying out a 2 qb system, giving Hinton some snaps when we can't get the running game going

I hope Wolford is ok and, if so, he should start next week.
However, I'm pleased that we're even having this conversation.
The fact that our backup QB is quite capable is significantly more than we've had in recent years.
Ideally, I'd like for Hinton to get plenty of reps, so he's always ready to go.

Hinton

The offense with Wolford is so fucking vanilla
This. Hinton isn't as accurate as Wolford on short and intermediate routes but he has a Russell Wilson quality in that he can extend plays with his feet. He isn't as accurate as Wilson at this point but he is faster and even more of a true dual threat QB. That being said ,it would be a real headache for a defensive coordinator to prepare for both Hinton and Wolford.

Wolford passed for over 300 yds in the first 2 games and we are lucky to have him at WF. As said above, this is a great problem to have.

Hinton made some hideous throws yesterday and couldn't really move the ball consistently against a bad defense. That shouldn't be lost in the enthusiasm over the last drive.

This shouldn't be a conversation, at this point

Last edited:
If Wolford is a 100%, he should start. However anything less than 100% he should recuperate for conference play.

If Wolford can't go, who is Hinton's back-up?

If Wolford is a 100%, he should start. However anything less than 100% he should recuperate for conference play.

If Wolford can't go, who is Hinton's back-up?

I can't imagine pulling Kearn's shirt after 3 games, but their are only 2 other QB's on the roster after Wolford, Hinton, and Kearns and I know at least one is a walk on.

Kyle Kearns, If Wolford or Hinton cant go. Would hate to take away Kearns redshirt year!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Hinton made some hideous throws yesterday and couldn't really move the ball consistently against a bad defense. That shouldn't be lost in the enthusiasm over the last drive.

This shouldn't be a conversation, at this point

Really? Are you being serious? Wolford was the one that couldn't move the ball. Wolford threw for a total of 16 yards. Hinton lead us on all three of our scoring drives, scored two td's, rushed for 101 yards and threw for 160. Granted he made a few Freshman mistakes but without Hinton in the game no way we come away with the win.

Wolford got hurt on the first series (when we were moving the ball). Did you watch a second of the other games? Dude can chuck it

Really? Are you being serious? Wolford was the one that couldn't move the ball. Wolford threw for a total of 16 yards. Hinton lead us on all three of our scoring drives, scored two td's, rushed for 101 yards and threw for 160. Granted he made a few Freshman mistakes but without Hinton in the game no way we come away with the win.

Wolford threw the ball 5 times on a badly injured ankle that was sustained on the fourth play of the game. Let's take the entire body of work instead of picking and choosing what works for our argument. Both have had accuracy issues/reading the defense issues, but Wolford had his two best games in the first two games of the year. Keep in mind he is only a sophomore too.

I'm also not convinced that Wolford didn't get his bell rung on that hit as well as injuring his ankle. He did not look right after that and the interception he threw was so bad I'm not sure his head was clear. The analyst on the TV coverage said Hines was open and Wolford looked at him first and then came off Hines to throw into what looked like triple coverage.

His body just got folded together, it was hard to tell what all was hurting.

I really like Hinton, but I think Wolford has a exceptionally high football IQ, especially for a true sophomore. Ideally Hinton could be used initially in specific situations for which he has been thoroughly prepped. I would hope a true freshman QB at WF would never again be thrown into the furnace as Wolford was last year.

Sort of related and there have definitely been gripes about the offensive line, but I think we're comparing the offensive line to last year in our heads so we're all like "well it's not TOO bad" but this line is just awful. If we had been even remotely average at that spot last year everyone would be losing their minds.

This line couldn't win the battle up front against an Army front who was undersized across the board. It's embarrassing.

Sort of related and there have definitely been gripes about the offensive line, but I think we're comparing the offensive line to last year in our heads so we're all like "well it's not TOO bad" but this line is just awful. If we had been even remotely average at that spot last year everyone would be losing their minds.

This line couldn't win the battle up front against an Army front who was undersized across the board. It's embarrassing.

Good news: The O-line is better than last year.

Bad news: "Just plain stinks" is better than last year.

I fear we are going to waste 2 of the best QBs we have ever had due to the inability to protect them. And it is not just the Oline, the backs are poor blockers as well. Maybe we need to use a TE as a fullback for increased protection and for screen passes?

Hinton just named ACC Rookie of the Week.

Good for him. Look I know it was Army and we honestly should be able to beat Army ( in their current state) with our backup QB, but I've seen us lose so many games like this over the years. It was nice to face some adversity and come out on top, no matter who we were playing. Hinton didn't play a great game, but he came in and made some plays for us and for a kid playing High School ball last year, that's all we could really ask.

Weaver stepping up and nailing a 47 yard FG for the win was awesome as well, the level of opponent had nothing to do with that.

Back