• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why did I think Herman Cain was different?

"Most of the ancestors that I can trace were born here in the United States of America," [Cain] said, hitting those last four words with a hammer. "And then it goes back to slavery. And I'm sure my ancestors go all the way back to Africa, but I feel more of an affinity for America than I do for Africa. I'm a black man in America." ...

"Barack Obama is more of an international," Cain said. "I think he's out of the mainstream and always has been. Look, he was raised in Kenya, his mother was white from Kansas and her family had an influence on him, it's true, but his dad was Kenyan, and when he was going to school he got a lot of fellowships, scholarships, he stayed in the academic environment for a long time. He spent most of his career as an intellectual."

When Goldberg told Cain that Obama hadn't grown up in Kenya, but Indonesia, Cain responded, "Yeah, Indonesia." Cain, a Tea Party favorite who has said his popularity proves the group isn't racist, argued that his candidacy would eliminate race as an issue in the 2012 campaign.

"This isn’t why I’m running, but my candidacy would take race off the table. Right now, every time someone criticizes Barack Obama, they try to play the race card, the White House, all his supporters, they try to play the race card."

Did he really say being in office would kill the race card? Does he not look in the mirror?

Cain is adding the "he's not a real BLACK American" to the standard identity politics from '08.

Smidge, I don't think what he said was that his being in office would kill the race card but that his running against President Obama, would prevent the liberal media from suggesting that anyone who bashes the president or his policies is an ignorant person or a racist. (btw, I hate the term "liberal media" and think its time has passed)

Cain has actually claimed on more than one occasion that he believes that his candidacy will take white guilt off the table and prevent the Obama team from using that against outspoken tea party followers and southern conservatives.

I have two huge problems with Herman Cain.

1) Not only does he have no experience in government, he is PROUD of the fact he has none and he has said that he thinks because he has worked his way up the corporate ladder, he should not have to put his time in on the political ladder.

2) I think he is taking doing exactly what prominent tea party members want him to do whether he knows it or not. Make it about race just by talking about how its not about race.

btw, does anyone actually know if godfather's pizza is any good?

Smidge, I don't think what he said was that his being in office would kill the race card but that his running against President Obama, would prevent the liberal media from suggesting that anyone who bashes the president or his policies is an ignorant person or a racist. (btw, I hate the term "liberal media" and think its time has passed)
Ahh, Now that I re-read his comments he might not be 100% crazy, just really off base with a decent idea.

I have two huge problems with Herman Cain.

1) Not only does he have no experience in government, he is PROUD of the fact he has none and he has said that he thinks because he has worked his way up the corporate ladder, he should not have to put his time in on the political ladder.

2) I think he is taking doing exactly what prominent tea party members want him to do whether he knows it or not. Make it about race just by talking about how its not about race.

btw, does anyone actually know if godfather's pizza is any good?

Almost like Palin 2.0, the GOP is always ready with an extreme that could be a gret PR boost in the short term but a huge bust in the long run.

Racism doesn't mean hating every single member of another race. Someone could believe that by and large black people are inferior and still like Herman Cain under the belief that he's one of the "good ones".

Back