• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why did I think Herman Cain was different?

Being governor or a president. That's why incumbent presidents and former governors have a pretty good track records in winning elections.

since being successful in business is the worst preparation to be a governor or president (your words), the following ways are better preparation

- being governor
- being president
- failing in business
- community planning
- heroin addict
- professional eating
- personal injury attorney
- spreadsheet workhorse
- sax player for bruce springsteen
- head coach of wake forest basketball

since being successful in business is the worst preparation to be a governor or president (your words), the following ways are better preparation

- being governor
- being president
- failing in business
- community planning
- heroin addict
- professional eating
- personal injury attorney
- spreadsheet workhorse
- sax player for bruce springsteen
- head coach of wake forest basketball

Could be. That's why the Constitution doesn't say any of them can't be president or have to be president.

Conservatives fellate Cain because he was successful in business - as if being successful in business is the end-all be-all of a man, a leader, or a POTUS.

It's not the end-all be-all of determining if a person will make a successful President, but I absolutely think success in the business world is a significant positive and indicates certain leadership qualities that I hope for in our Chief Executive.

For me it's all about leadership. Some people have it, others don't. Being a great speaker doesn't make one a great leader, but it's a good start as communication is a key aspect of leadership.

My ideal candidate would have a resume like the following:
  • Experience running a medium size business. Doesn't need to be a hugely successful run, but needs to not be a miserable failure (see Bush, W). Running your own campaign doesn't count.
  • A couple years of service in the armed forces
  • Has school age children (to better understand the current state of our educational system)
  • Served a significant number of years in the legislative branch at the state, or federal level. Provides a better understanding of how the political game is played.
  • Bonus points if they served as the governor of a state where being gov actually means something. Not you Texas.

Last edited:
It's not the end-all be-all of determining if a person will make a successful President, but I absolutely think success in the business world is a significant positive and indicates certain leadership qualities that I hope for in our Chief Executive.

For me it's all about leadership. Some people have it, others don't. Being a great speaker doesn't make one a great leader, but it's a good start as communication is a key aspect of leadership.

My ideal candidate would have a resume like the following:
* Experience running a medium size business. Doesn't need to be a hugely successful run, but needs to not be a miserable failure (see Bush, W). Running your own campaign doesn't count.

* A couple years of service in the armed forces

* Has school age children

* Served a significant number of years in the legislative branch at the state, or federal level, to understand how the game is played.

* Bonus points if they served as the governor of a state where being gov actually means something. Not you Texas.

Leading people who don't want to be led by you is a pretty complex animal especially without a singular goal like making profits.

The difference is that when a white man Pub says things less extreme than that, he's labeled a racist. When Herman Cain says it, he's apparently just stupid (you know, because being a black Pub makes him stupid or an uncle Tom, one or the other).

Def Politics Jam

Milhouse, pretty sure I said "Seems like" if you want to get into semantics over substance.

You're right dirk an overt bigot should be celebrated.

Could be. That's why the Constitution doesn't say any of them can't be president or have to be president.

The Commerce Clause has been interpreted to say that a Wake Forest basketball coach cannot be President, since important things have to been done well in March.

It's a living, breathing document.

Like you were ever going to listen to the man. You think because he's black he's automatically going to be some moderate pusswhack with no real convictions. Deal with it.

What an utterly stupid post. Did I say anything about his skin color? I have listened to Cain, and although I don't agree with many things he says, he has intrigued me, and I did not think he would sink to the level of his desperate fellows. Obviously I was wrong. So according to you, Cain's "real convictions" include his belief that Obama grew up in Kenya. How do you expect anyone to respect anything you write when you post such stupid shit?

I respect his business accomplishments.

No way in hell would I vote for a FairTax proponent.

What an utterly stupid post. Did I say anything about his skin color? I have listened to Cain, and although I don't agree with many things he says, he has intrigued me, and I did not think he would sink to the level of his desperate fellows. Obviously I was wrong. So according to you, Cain's "real convictions" include his belief that Obama grew up in Kenya. How do you expect anyone to respect anything you write when you post such stupid shit?

It's the Dirk/Boogity schtick. Create some "liberal elite" strawman response regardless of the actual tenor of the debate.

The Commerce Clause has been interpreted to say that a Wake Forest basketball coach cannot be President, since important things have to been done well in March.

It's a living, breathing document.

Well, actually the original inauguration day was March 4th. It was set for that day knowing that the Wake Forest basketball coach would not be otherwise occupied.

The founders were wise, indeed.

It's a shame. I would have voted for [Redacted] '12.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOo!

HERMAN NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Wouldn't mind if he declared his candidacy tomorrow.

The two multinational corporate CEOs I've met are BOTH BATSHIT crazy.

Everyone makes fun of the Tom Cruise's and the other elite Hollywood types, but the two CEOs I have interacted with (over the course of several years with one and about a 7 years with the other) were just as weird and as imbalanced as many imagine the leftest weirdest Hollywood types to be.

Part of their management success was keeping their staff completely on edge. Each day nobody knows whether they are going to get the good CEO or the batshit crazy one.

A CEO does not necessarily make a good President. The weird thing about the two CEOs I've dealt with is that neither are very well rounded.

One gave all of his male children the middle name 'St. Thomas Aquinas' I kid you not. When I asked him why, he said he was a good Catholic who founded the Jesuit order. I had to tell him he was wrong, that was Ignatius. Aquinas was a realist philosopher. He found that troubling, believe it or not.

The other one spends many of her resting hours laying down on a heated tile floor staring up at the ceiling ignoring her husband and son. She had breast augmentation surgery so she could "command the board room"

CEOs are not necessarily smarter. They are simply more willing to sacrifice almost anything to succeed and tend to be more ruthless - they are willing to pull others down to claw their way over and around them

The two LIFELONG POLITICIANS I've met are BOTH BATSHIT crazy.

Everyone makes fun of the Tom Cruise's and the other elite Hollywood types, but the two LIFELONG POLITICIANS I have interacted with (over the course of several years with one and about a 7 years with the other) were just as weird and as imbalanced as many imagine the leftest weirdest Hollywood types to be.

Part of their POLITICAL success was keeping their staff completely on edge. Each day nobody knows whether they are going to get the good POLITICIAN or the batshit crazy one.

LIFELONG POLITICIANS are not necessarily smarter. They are simply more willing to sacrifice almost anything to succeed and tend to be more ruthless - they are willing to pull others down to claw their way over and around them

FIFY ;-)

Back