• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why go to Wake for $62K?

AMCDeac

Richard Joyce
Reaction score
Serious question and no intent to be inflammatory - if you are going to spend $62k+ per year on college tuition and expenses, and have other options throughout the country, why would you chose Wake? Is WFU a "better" or more valuable experience than what's available at peer institutions? What really distinguishes the Wake experience? Why should Wake be a priority for charitable contributions from alumni?

Your parents are rich and you didn't get into Duke?

I'll bite. Because you want to go to a small college (fewer than 5,000 undergrads) that competes in big time athletics?

I guess I would define big time athletics as going to bowl games and the NCAA tourney. Or being in a power 5 conference. I'm not aware of another school that offers that with fewer than 5,000 undergrads, but perhaps there are some I've forgotten.

I guess I would define big time athletics as going to bowl games and the NCAA tourney. Or being in a power 5 conference. I'm not aware of another school that offers that with fewer than 5,000 undergrads, but perhaps there are some I've forgotten.

I can't think of any school that offers that with fewer than 5,000 undergrads.

It was the best school that accepted me.

It didn't used to cost so much. I would send my kids to UT today

There is no rational reason to spend 250k on an undergrad degree.

It was the best school that accepted me.
Apparently Wake was a safety school for a lot of posters? I came to Wake because I wanted to break out of the modern American caste system, instead of settling for a cheaper state school out of fear. Student loans suck, but I don't regret it for a minute.

Apparently Wake was a safety school for a lot of posters? I came to Wake because I wanted to break out of the modern American caste system, instead of settling for a cheaper state school out of fear. Student loans suck, but I don't regret it for a minute.

I didn't consider it a safety school. It was in the top three of schools I applied to. I also really liked the campus. Seemed like a comfortable place to spend four years of my life.

You have absolutely no intention of getting your Masters?

You're from the Northeast, and $62k isn't that big of a deal?

You are book smart, but lack common sense? #noSAT

It didn't used to cost so much. That's why all of my donations are ear marked for the student aid fund.

The only way my family could afford to send me to Wake was the tuition concession, and unless my children also receive it, I cant imagine being able to pay for them to go to WFU. Its a sad but true reality, that barring some unforeseen change, the tsy legacy at WFU will stop with my wife and I.

At some point, the education bubble has to burst right?

Anyone know how many students receive financial and what the average amount is?

My four years at MSD cost $10,000, including books, meal plans, etc.

Last edited:
The only way my family could afford to send me to Wake was the tuition concession, and unless my children also receive it, I cant imagine being able to pay for them to go to WFU. Its a sad but true reality, that barring some unforeseen change, the tsy legacy at WFU will stop with my wife and I.

At some point, the education bubble has to burst right?

My dad was able to go because of scholarships to undergrad and med school. He was able to send me because he got those scholarships and had a great career.

My wife and I do well, but not well enough to send our kid, unless there's a scholarship or other aid. It makes me sad that two people who went to Wake won't be able to afford to send their kid there, unless you're a doctor, lawyer, etc.

A legitimate answer to your question is that most people do not pay anything close to $62k/year. The model for all private schools is that they rely on a certain (obviously wealthy) portion on their students to pay full ride and that subsidizes the heck out of a lot of others who aren't paying full ride. Unless you're wealthy enough to where the price tag doesn't really matter, then you have no business going to Wake paying full price...but that's not just a Wake thing, it's every private school that's worth a damn (except for maybe the top 5 schools). That being said, I bet (but have no real data to back this up) that more than 50% of wake students are paying a substantially subsidized rate or better

Yeah, but a lot of us are in a position where schools are going to expect us to pay full price even though we're not obviously wealthy.

Back