• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why I'm leaving GOLDman Sachs

marquee moon

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/14/opinion/why-i-am-leaving-goldman-sachs.html?_r=2&pagewanted=all

TODAY is my last day at Goldman Sachs. After almost 12 years at the firm — first as a summer intern while at Stanford, then in New York for 10 years, and now in London — I believe I have worked here long enough to understand the trajectory of its culture, its people and its identity. And I can honestly say that the environment now is as toxic and destructive as I have ever seen it.

Today, many of these leaders display a Goldman Sachs culture quotient of exactly zero percent. I attend derivatives sales meetings where not one single minute is spent asking questions about how we can help clients. It’s purely about how we can make the most possible money off of them. If you were an alien from Mars and sat in on one of these meetings, you would believe that a client’s success or progress was not part of the thought process at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moon, you gotta start copying and pasting some relevant excerpt from the piece so I know wtf it's about and whether or not it's worth clicking to read.

Yeah, but who is it from, is he mad about something? did he get fired? etc. etc.

Good call. We need a little tease of what the article is about.....

Probably going to be his last day anywhere for awhile.

Jerry Maguire moment.

Perfect summary.

Although I'm also imagining there was some promotion he wanted and didn't get - and that's what got him thinking about whether he wanted to work there.

And it seems really hypocritical to bash the organization for being all about making money when you are in your mid-30s and could probably retire now if you wanted to.

Last edited:
What a whiny bitch - clearly he just got told he wasn't making managing director. So you're saying that a for-profit company has increased its focus on making money in the past few years because of the recession? Scandalous!!

This guy got the bronze at the Maccabiah Games for table tennis? He's a genius and a legit athlete - this is a big loss for Goldman.

e9ERH.jpg

What a whiny bitch - clearly he just got told he wasn't making managing director. So you're saying that a for-profit company has increased its focus on making money in the past few years because of the recession? Scandalous!!

No, he's saying he finds it despicable that the culture of Goldman isn't about making money the right way. I agree with him, as mighty as GS might seem, the practice of screwing over your clients never wins out in the long run.
I believe the model many investment banks make their money from is going to have to be broken at some point....there is just too much reward for next to no risk.

It's about how they are making that money.

Isn't greed always the downfall of practically everything from individuals on up through entire nations?

Back