• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why is Alondes Williams called "ManMan"?

TripleDeac21

Reaction score
I don't understand this. What's the reason/background behind this nickname? I notice our journalists and beat reporters refer to Alondes as "ManMan". Why? Why don't we just call him by his name - Alondes? :confused:

He calls himself that for one.

He was Little Man to his Mother until one day he got big and ever since then...ManMan.

I don't understand this. What's the reason/background behind this nickname? I notice our journalists and beat reporters refer to Alondes as "ManMan". Why? Why don't we just call him by his name - Alondes? :confused:

do you understand what a nickname is?

do you understand what a nickname is?

Journalists and beat reporters don't have to refer to a player by their nickname. In this case, it's kind of off-putting. It's fine if Alondes himself prefers it though.

Journalists and beat reporters don't have to refer to a player by their nickname. In this case, it's kind of off-putting. It's fine if Alondes himself prefers it though.

Are they writing it into game recaps? Or just using it in casual conversation during press conferences? I think most of the people covering our team are professional enough that they wouldn't be using a nickname like that if the player didn't want them to.

Yeah, nobody wants to be called The Lookout.

Are they writing it into game recaps? Or just using it in casual conversation during press conferences? I think most of the people covering our team are professional enough that they wouldn't be using a nickname like that if the player didn't want them to.

I've used it on Twitter and in Zoom interviews. The only time I've written it into a story is when I literally address its origin as his nickname. (Jroc is right, his mom started calling him "ManMan" or "Man Child" as he got bigger)

I use it on Twitter because I think it's fun, and that's what Twitter is. I use it on Zoom because I asked him what he wanted me to call him, and he said, "ManMan."

I've used it on Twitter and in Zoom interviews. The only time I've written it into a story is when I literally address its origin as his nickname. (Jroc is right, his mom started calling him "ManMan" or "Man Child" as he got bigger)

I use it on Twitter because I think it's fun, and that's what Twitter is. I use it on Zoom because I asked him what he wanted me to call him, and he said, "ManMan."

Definitely like Manman. He seems to be having alot of fun out there and nicknames are great. Good to see that these guys like each other and enjoying the ride so far.

Thank you, PhDeac. Exactly my point. It's fine if he has a nickname - chances are we all do or did at some point in our lives. But just call the kid by his normal name on the roster. It's just confusing and frankly, odd/weird. And this isn't the first time this has happened either, for football and basketball.

Thanks Conor. Keep up the great work and your great coverage of the Deacs!

Did you miss the part where Conor asked him what he wanted to be called and Alondes said Manman?

Some people prefer nicknames. Some people don’t. Do you call everyone in your life exactly what is listed on their birth certificate?

Back