• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why is Alondes Williams called "ManMan"?

WHY wHY wHY didnt journalists call that point guard for the Lakers by his given Christian name, Earvin????

Why is Dabo Swinney Dabo?

Why was Bear Bryant Bear?

Why was Skip Prosser Skip?

Why’d we get rid of tags again? This thread is screaming for them

WHY wHY wHY didnt journalists call that point guard for the Lakers by his given Christian name, Earvin????

Semi-related - Forbes said in his most recent conference that he tells players "that looked like Tragic Johnson - not Magic Johnson" when they make a really dumb pass.

Semi-related - Forbes said in his most recent conference that he tells players "that looked like Tragic Johnson - not Magic Johnson" when they make a really dumb pass.

that is a solid dad burn

dibs on boyboy for my youngest. he'll probs love being boyman or manboy some day. i'm almost sure of it.

SMH -- just out here giving away the lede for my USC Upstate preview.

I mean, I get it to an extent. If you missed the preseason discussion, you've got no reason to believe ManMan is Alondes. The first time somebody referred to him as ManMan, I had to say, "Hold up, who in the hell is ManMan?"

But I do take some pride in being able to develop connections with players -- have a My Take coming out about that later this week, based on a tailgate I found Saturday -- and part of the process there is finding out nicknames. Some nicknames are just to be aware of, like Justin Strnad as "Garbs" (long story). Others are nicknames you know of and use with players, but don't use in public, like Sharone Wright Jr. as "June". And then you've got ManMan, who tells you that's what he wants to be called.

The conversation I had with Boogie Basham in spring '18 lays out how most of these things go.

"Do you want me to call you Boogie or Carlos?"

"It doesn't matter."

"OK, well what would your mom like to read your name as in the newspaper?" (pour some out for my time at the Journal)

"... uh, Boogie."

Reminds me of a pick up game once. We were raging on this dude calling him "Allen Tryverson."

Tell me you're an old white guy without telling me you're an old white guy...

There used to be another NBA player named Ervin Johnson and when he started out as a college Freshmen at New Orleans, his coaches thought he that was a bit raw so they called him Tragic Johnson behind his back. Then he became a star player and they stopped calling him that.

Are you referring to Mr. Stephen Forbes? I just want to be clear here.

Back