• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WHY is he still our basketball coach?

I will never understand why the one time we pulled the trigger on a basketball coach, it was on a guy who just came off an NCAA tournament WIN. And now, we appear to be stuck with this absolute and complete POS forever. This is completely and utterly unacceptable. I told a nice student who called me for a donation the other day that I was not giving a dime until we had a new basketball coach- and she laughed. When I was a student, I would have cried. It has been a decade since students even knew what it was like to care about basketball. It's shameful.

I would assume those kinds of things are discussed over a longer period of time than that. Wake's AD should have been in contact with Manning's people for negotiations long before now - especially with a mistake of this magnitude.

The flip side of this Wake should also have already made the decision of Manning being retained. If he is being retained, there is no reason to wait to announce it. Just announce and move on and not allow all of the rampant speculation to continue. I tend to agree with Riley's post below.

If that contract buyout is accurate I would keep Manning for the complete term and set up a windowless office with no phone and internet in the basement of Reynolda.

The flip side of this Wake should also have already made the decision of Manning being retained. If he is being retained, there is no reason to wait to announce it. Just announce and move on and not allow all of the rampant speculation to continue. I tend to agree with Riley's post below.

Absolutely...agree that if they were simply going to announce retaining him, it would have already been announced or mentioned as such in a Currie interview post-announcement of our new AD. There must be posturing and legal wrangling ensuing and Manning's side obviously has leverage. Which makes it all the more disheartening and nauseating that Ron Wellman would choke this athletic department with such a misguided and irresponsible decision, the absolute albatross of a contract never should have been approved by Hatch, if that is even part of the chain of command protocol.

Your contract says you will be the head basketball coach. Well we have redefined the responsibilities of that position to involve searching for mice in the tunnels and killing them with a baseball bat.

Separately we’re creating a new position called lead basketball coach who will assume the duties previously aligned to the head basketball coach position.

My thought is if Manning is being retained due to the amount of money required for the buyout plus a large contact for a new coach next year then maybe consider Randolph for a year at minimum cost. Not want I want but if it sends Danny packing I'm on board.

We need to give up on this notion that Randolph is an option, even temporarily. If Randolph wants to be a head coach he needs to leave Wake and take an HC job at a low major or an assistant job at another school. Severing his ties with Wake, for now at least, is best thing for him. Randolph as interim HC maybe made a little bit of sense in December, to have him finish out the season, but there is no way he should be given the helm now. He needs to leave regardless of what happens to Danny.

The Ron Wellman way is to act like there is no speculation over Manning's future and dead pan his response to any questions, with "of course he is still our basketball coach."

giphy.gif

Situations like this are what drove UCONN with Kevin Ollie and Kansas with Beaty to manufacture cause to fire these guys and try not to pay the buyout. And even in both of those cases the buyout wasn't even 18 MILLION DOLLARS.

If that contract buyout is accurate I would keep Manning for the complete term and set up a windowless office with no phone and internet in the basement of Reynolda.

And then take his red stapler away.

We need to give up on this notion that Randolph is an option, even temporarily. If Randolph wants to be a head coach he needs to leave Wake and take an HC job at a low major or an assistant job at another school. Severing his ties with Wake, for now at least, is best thing for him. Randolph as interim HC maybe made a little bit of sense in December, to have him finish out the season, but there is no way he should be given the helm now. He needs to leave regardless of what happens to Danny.

+1,000,000,000

As this saga grows unnecessarily longer, I become more and more convinced that Goodman's number is not far off.

Which actually gives credence to the Randolph suggestion. If we're paying Manning anyway and we can't afford to pay him and a regular coach at the same time, why not give Randolph the interim title? If keeping Manning is the only other option I'd take the interim route.

So worst contract ever negotiated in College basketball, solid legacy you shit stain.

If you're a power conference school that has to promote an assistant internally because you guaranteed your failed coach too much money, then just shut the damn program down.

If you're a power conference school that has to promote an assistant internally because you guaranteed your failed coach too much money, then just shut the damn program down.

Also a better option than keeping Manning.

Which actually gives credence to the Randolph suggestion. If we're paying Manning anyway and we can't afford to pay him and a regular coach at the same time, why not give Randolph the interim title? If keeping Manning is the only other option I'd take the interim route.

For one, this would be really bad for Randolph's career. Also what does one year get us on the buy out with Manning, we'd still be stuck paying him next year, and if the problem right now is that we can't afford to pay the buy out and hire a reasonably qualified replacement, that problem still exists next year and the year after, etc. until the contract expires.

For title IX purposes we could shut down Men's basketball and Women's volleyball at the same time!

So worst contract ever negotiated in College basketball, solid legacy you shit stain.

2 of the worst 5 b-ball coach hires in the history of the ACC and then the worst contract in the history of the ACC. And fired a coach that had his team at number one in the country at one point. And repeatedly tried to blow smoke up his fan base's ass, when they complained.

Back