• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WHY is he still our basketball coach?

I knew political correctness is the reason!!!

This is not even on the list of reasons why. Not to mention the bulk of the AD (including the guy at the helm) aren't exactly card carrying Democrats

This has zero to do with race, but I have heard that Danny is Hatches guy and that is why he is going to stay around if he does. I always thought that was just people trying to cover for Ron, but who knows.

If the buyout is the issue then at least fire Manning and make Childress the interim coach for next year. At least we know Randolph cares about Wake.

So is it safe to assume that if the 130-2 press conference doesn't happen today then Manning is being retained?

Wake doesn't make contract info public. The only verifiable data points are WFU filings with IRS. The salary for Manning reported in USA Today is probably from the 2018 IRS filing by Wake (for tax year 2017) and is what Danny got paid in 2017.

The contract extension was supposedly signed in November 2017. It is unknown whether the new terms went into effect immediately or if they started after his initial contract period finished or somewhere in between.

Frequently such contract extensions go into effect almost immediately. The terms in the extension replacing the last of the existing contract, because extensions frequently include increased salary.

But as of this time we just don't know. Wake released no details about the extension signed in November 2017.

I still have faith he is gone. That said, if he is retained then I am the one leaving.

Why can't you believe it? He's probably quadrupling his salary, at least. Put up with a lame duck coach for a year, rake in the money, with no expectations? Sure, why not.

I'm not saying he shouldn't take the job. If I were Currie and I knew this was happening, I would demand that the hiring not be announced until after the decision to retain Danny is announced. Why put that unpopular decision on the new AD? That would not be an unreasonable request.

Fuck Currie too. If he agreed to this, he is just as bad as the rest of them.

What the fuck are you talking about?How does Currie own this any more than you? Don’t be an asshole to our own. He inherited this.

It occurs to me that maybe the Manning extension was a poison pill of sorts. Ron was pissed when he had to let [redacted] go, so this time he made sure he couldn't be forced into firing his guy in a manner he deemed premature?

Why can't you believe it? He's probably quadrupling his salary, at least. Put up with a lame duck coach for a year, rake in the money, with no expectations? Sure, why not.

I agree with this - plus, who knows when the AD job at your alma mater is going to open up again. However, there would certainly be some negatives if DM remains as coach. For starters, you'd have to know that you would start your tenure with 90% of the fan base pissed at you. Or at least outwardly questioning why DM is allowed to coach another year. Secondly, you can't really come out and say "I want to get rid of him too; however, we can't afford to do that right now, so hang in there for another crappy season and then I promise we will get rid of him." I guess you would have to come up with some generic statement that says success is expected but not flat out say that DM is a lame duck. And you'd have to play the balancing act of not being a Wellman-esque jackass about the situation and not totally torpedoing next season and recruiting by just throwing DM under the bus.

Sounds like the anti-[Redacted] was effective and should have been deployed on Manning.

if he is retained fans that STILL go to the games next year should 1) be paid and 2)be allowed blank posterboard and sharpies to write embarrasing statements about the current state of affairs for the whole country to see

It occurs to me that maybe the Manning extension was a poison pill of sorts. Ron was pissed when he had to let [redacted] go, so this time he made sure he couldn't be forced into firing his guy in a manner he deemed premature?

If this is true then Wellman is even more dense and arrogant than we ever thought possible. Sadly to say, it wouldn’t surprise me if true.

If he is retained, money will be the main reason but another factor is the fact that Manning is African American. Hatch and his goons are so politically correct they don't like the perception of firing an African American.

Take your racist bullshit somewhere else.

I don't subscribe to Les (appreciate his efforts and his articles I have read, thanks Les). Does he have history of scoops to indicate he really has contacts within the AD that would provide any accurate info on a sensitive matter like this?
I don't mean this to be a knock on Les, we just have a tight-lipped AD that wants to control the narrative.

if he is retained fans that STILL go to the games next year should 1) be paid and 2)be allowed blank posterboard and sharpies to write embarrasing statements about the current state of affairs for the whole country to see

3) required to wear bags over their heads.

Keep in mind if press conference is announced may be on short notice...2-5 hours. Best to sit tight this week to see how this develops. If Manning is retained, like many I am out of basketball. But in reality, I have paid little attention to Wake Basketball for several seasons so the separation pain will not be as intense. Thank goodness for Clawson!

Keep in mind if press conference is announced may be on short notice...2-5 hours.

IIRC, the Gaudio announcement and PC happened super quickly. I expect the same to happen at some point today or tomorrow.

Back