• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WHY is he still our basketball coach?

I think that you way overestimate how much people outside of the Wake family care about or pay attention to Wake basketball anymore.

Just to put into perspective what Wellman has done: Wake was known by ordinary people, if they had heard of Wake at all, for basketball. Good school, good basketball. By destroying the hoops program, Wellman went a long way to undermining Wake's identity. At the same time, Hatch came along and raised tuition beyond the clouds without raising Wake's national academic standing. Now we have a nice park, with some nice buildings, dismal hoops, the same academic standing to which Hearn elevated us, and outrageous bills. Nice work guys.

Just to put into perspective what Wellman has done: Wake was known by ordinary people, if they had heard of Wake at all, for basketball. Good school, good basketball. By destroying the hoops program, Wellman went a long way to undermining Wake's identity. At the same time, Hatch came along and raised tuition beyond the clouds without raising Wake's national academic standing. Now we have a nice park, with some nice buildings, dismal hoops, the same academic standing to which Hearn elevated us, and outrageous bills. Nice work guys.

Yep. Sadly spot on.

The first part of this can’t be understated. Think about how many normal all over the country people fill out brackets every March. The vast majority of these people don’t normally engage with these universities’ brands. Think of all the search hits schools that aren’t big state schools/directional schools or blue bloods get through this. Hits for Northwestern, ODU, Belmont, Wofford, Seton Hall, Colgate, Iona, Liberty, etc. are all probably through the roof. This is such an obvious way to promote your brand to a huge swath of the population. Instead, the only reason why anyone is talking about Wake right now is because we suck or because some rich donk had to pay off a volleyball coach to get their moron kid accepted.

Should say overstated, not understated. Can’t edit on mobile. Either way the point is the same.

A very good source has told me DM already has an assistant job lined up in the NBA. I think it happens by the end of the week.

When Danny Manning is hired by the Atlanta Hawks as their new big man assistant coach, as has been rumored extensively now, I want my name to be green so I can be a Super User. Thanks, Biff.

Wake has a 29% acceptance rate after ten years in the basketball wilderness. Don't disagree with your point on tuition, but the evidence would suggest Wake has no problem making themselves known.

mack, 29% is barely in the top 100 and certainly not elite (about the same as UNC)

now, if you factor in the removal of the SAT requirement, it's not that difficult to see what is going on: the administration has freed its hands to admit not based primarily on academic merit but whomever they want based on hazy, poorly defined, subjective "qualifications" and the preposterous tuition gives you a pretty good clue for at least a portion of those they will want to admit

let's not kid ourselves, this is on Hatch and the BoT

If kids really are clamoring to get into Wake, they could pay off Manning’s contract in one year by enrolling an extra 300 or so students.

All of this is sadly true- so true that no one even cares enough about Wake basketball for it to even be considered a "laughing stock". We are completely off of the national radar.

All of this is sadly true- so true that no one even cares enough about Wake basketball for it to even be considered a "laughing stock". We are completely off of the national radar.

Not even Wake administration cares. Really fucking sad!

My boys - 12 and 15 - use Wake as a punchline about bad basketball..."Well at least they aren't as bad as Wake."

They've never known good Wake basketball and I have never taken them to a game; something I was very much looking forward to but mired in mediocrity or worse I couldn't muster the time and effort under Manning and Redacted.

We don't even gather around the television to watch games.

giphy.gif

My boys - 12 and 15 - use Wake as a punchline about bad basketball..."Well at least they aren't as bad as Wake."

They've never known good Wake basketball and I have never taken them to a game; something I was very much looking forward to but mired in mediocrity or worse I couldn't muster the time and effort under Manning and Redacted.

We don't even gather around the television to watch games.

My son calls them Weak Florist which is what he heard a Hole fan call them. Sad that it has come to this for our kids.

Maybe they just don’t have a coach that wants to come for the price they are willing to offer. They probably don’t wanna fire Danny until we have a coach they know will come.

Don't know why people are connecting the firing of DM and the hiring of the next coach as if it's a singular act. DM is so bad that he needs to be gone; keeping him should be a non-starter. There are 2 dozen mid-to-low major coaches who would come for a pittance, all of which are substantial upgrades over #painttouches and would at least temporarily get Wake basketball off of life support. The wildcard here is that RW obviously makes irrational decisions, so maybe people are trying to guess which delusion RW will cave to.

Back