• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WHY is he still our basketball coach?

Realize that the momentum for a coaching change is currently at a fever pitch, but was there any announcement/press release after last year's 11-20 (4-14) season confirming that DM was returning in 2018-9?

No but I'm pretty sure there was after [redacted]'s 3rd year (the last time it was this bad).

No but I'm pretty sure there was after [redacted]'s 3rd year (the last time it was this bad).

Yeah as bad as last year was we were one year removed from a decent season with a pseudo-tournament appearance and a legit 5 star player coming in. The situation absolutely calls for some sort of communication to be made if the intention is to keep Manning for another year.

Realize that the momentum for a coaching change is currently at a fever pitch, but was there any announcement/press release after last year's 11-20 (4-14) season confirming that DM was returning in 2018-9?

he's under contract, what's to announce?

he's under contract, what's to announce?

I think this is a very likely scenario. Making an announcement indicates there was some wavering on if he was to return. Knowing Wellman, he wouldn't want to show any sort of weakness or acknowledgement of issues moving forward.

And to piggy back on what the mood has been around here since I started lurking, if he wanted to give a big fat "Fuck You" to the lunatic fringe, that's the best way to do it. Retire, with Manning as coach, without a word said.

When Danny Manning is hired by the Atlanta Hawks as their new big man assistant coach, as has been rumored extensively now, I want my name to be green so I can be a Super User. Thanks, Biff.

hearing there are a couple sticking points here:

1) awkward timing around end of NCAA and NBA seasons not lining up well

2) Danny's old school mentality vis a vis how big men are utilized in the modern NBA

more to come

I think this is a very likely scenario. Making an announcement indicates there was some wavering on if he was to return. Knowing Wellman, he wouldn't want to show any sort of weakness or acknowledgement of issues moving forward.

And to piggy back on what the mood has been around here since I started lurking, if he wanted to give a big fat "Fuck You" to the lunatic fringe, that's the best way to do it. Retire, with Manning as coach, without a word said.

With [redacted] there wasn't a press release or anything but Wellman did a media tour expressing support. With all of the speculation they have to do that again at a bare minimum.

With [redacted] there wasn't a press release or anything but Wellman did a media tour expressing support. With all of the speculation they have to do that again at a bare minimum.

I don't disagree at all. Let me rephrase - It seems entirely PLAUSIBLE that nothing is said based on how Wellman operates.

Also, I don't know if you can compare the two situations. There are no billboards or newspaper ads asking for Manning's head.

Don't know why people are connecting the firing of DM and the hiring of the next coach as if it's a singular act. DM is so bad that he needs to be gone; keeping him should be a non-starter. There are 2 dozen mid-to-low major coaches who would come for a pittance, all of which are substantial upgrades over #painttouches and would at least temporarily get Wake basketball off of life support. The wildcard here is that RW obviously makes irrational decisions, so maybe people are trying to guess which delusion RW will cave to.

I am not sure that is true. While some will command higher salaries than others, we are calling them ACC-level by offering the job. A decent agent isn't going to let them settle for a pittance. We are gonna have to pay real money for anyone worth having.

2) Danny's old school mentality vis a vis how big men are utilized in the modern NBA

more to come

See this makes no sense. There is zero evidence for danny being stuck in his ways and in flexible...

Seriously, some people wonder why jc played so few minutes.

I am not sure that is true. While some will command higher salaries than others, we are calling them ACC-level by offering the job. A decent agent isn't going to let them settle for a pittance. We are gonna have to pay real money for anyone worth having.

My point is that there are dozens of coaches that Wake can afford who are light years better than what we have now. Therefore, the chance that we’re worse on the court next year is effectively zero with a new coach, so the timetable of that coach’s hiring should have no impact on the timing of canning Manning.

Link the boards all over twitter. that's another way to spread awareness of our shitty situation.

more to come

1: Seriously??? This is how difficult that imaginary stumbling block is to work around: “I want to thank Wake and Mr Wellman for the opportunity over the past 5 years. I have come to the conclusion that my heart is in professional basketball and want to pursue opportunities when the timing and fit is right for me without putting the university in a bind with my departure.”

2: That’s absurd. If anything, Danny was the beginning of the big man playing away from the blocks and taking his game to the mid-range and beyond.

It’s not that complicated unless all parties involved (a) are incompetent, (b) have their heads completely up their asses, and/or (c ) both a and b.

e37.png

1: Seriously??? This is how difficult that imaginary stumbling block is to work around: “I want to thank Wake and Mr Wellman for the opportunity over the past 5 years. I have come to the conclusion that my heart is in professional basketball and want to pursue opportunities when the timing and fit is right for me without putting the university in a bind with my departure.”

2: That’s absurd. If anything, Danny was the beginning of the big man playing away from the blocks and taking his game to the mid-range and beyond.

It’s not that complicated unless all parties involved (a) are incompetent, (b) have their heads completely up their asses, and/or (c ) both a and b.

as to the first part, it has to do with the NBA season, not the NCAA season

Did hatch/bot really think "if ronnie goes everyone will calm down and we can keep danny another year or two because we made a change at ad."

Everything else sounds like they have made a decision that they have to keep manning and they are floating different reasons "why" until one sticks.

Arthur Blank is a reasonable man. I'm pretty confident that he and Danny Manning will work this out so that he can return to his Atlanta Hawks.

Picture this: On May 2 a billboard is unveiled around Exit 111 on Rt. 52 showing a smiling Manning and the caption "He's Baaaccckkk" with a notation below it saying "I'm Ron Wellman and I approve this message."

Back