• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WHY is he still our basketball coach?

Then again, you probably are a man of good character and would not feel good about spending unearned money.

Wake should hire people with that kind of value system.

Wake helped instill that kind of value system in me, plus it's where my obsession with birds started.

Last week, NACUBO released the updated survey of university endowments as of 2018.

Wake checks in #83 nationally at a portfolio value of $1,329,255,000.

(That’s $1.3 billion)

I’ve spent many years working in higher ed, so I get the fact that an endowment balance isn’t the same thing as spendable cash. I also get that a Foundation isn’t the same thing as a University or an Athletic Association.

But at the end of the day, they are all related. Wake has the means to jettison Manning without giving it a second thought. If they don’t dump Manning, it’s because they choose not to do so, not because they don’t have the means to do so.

This.

Last week, NACUBO released the updated survey of university endowments as of 2018.

Wake checks in #83 nationally at a portfolio value of $1,329,255,000.

(That’s $1.3 billion)

I’ve spent many years working in higher ed, so I get the fact that an endowment balance isn’t the same thing as spendable cash. I also get that a Foundation isn’t the same thing as a University or an Athletic Association.

But at the end of the day, they are all related. Wake has the means to jettison Manning without giving it a second thought. If they don’t dump Manning, it’s because they choose not to do so, not because they don’t have the means to do so.

The crazy thing is paying his buyout out of the endowment might be a smart business decision for the endowment when you consider the long term effect on giving from retaining him.

We would be so poor with only $1,311,000,000 in the endowment.

But seriously I think the people making the decisions care way more about the endowment ranking than the Kenpom ranking. It is what it is.

The same poor decision makers are responsible for the low endowment and horrible buyout. Makes you wonder how many other people are getting paid big money to do their jobs poorly.

We would be so poor with only $1,311,000,000 in the endowment.

But seriously I think the people making the decisions care way more about the endowment ranking than the Kenpom ranking. It is what it is.

The same poor decision makers are responsible for the low endowment and horrible buyout. Makes you wonder how many other people are getting paid big money to do their jobs poorly.

Yeah, the endowment was like $1 billion 15 years ago when I was in school. 30% growth in 15 years is terrible.

Wonder what Mitt Shah(sp) thinks of all this ? His basketball building is about to open....what was it, $20 million ?

Hard to believe all this buy-out crap couldn't be overcome with a consortium of folks chipping in.

It's also hard to believe that given this contract, anyone in the AA wouldn't be thinking ill toward Ron Wellman. Then again, Hatch had to approve this. From the presser, Wellman told the story of meeting with Hatch to get the ok to spend $3 million on something and Hatch reluctantly agreed. My take was Hatch doesn't know donkey-doo on sports....assuming a similar take on Hatch saying ok to a revamped Manning contract extension.

You boys do realize we are considered the lunatic fringe. Would not surprise me a bit if Manning is retained. Athletics is a side light of the University Mission. Get another hobby.

Yeah, the endowment was like $1 billion 15 years ago when I was in school. 30% growth in 15 years is terrible.

Same take as you. Maybe $900 million but still, your point is valid.

Wonder what Mitt Shah(sp) thinks of all this ? His basketball building is about to open....what was it, $20 million ?

Hard to believe all this buy-out crap couldn't be overcome with a consortium of folks chipping in.

It's also hard to believe that given this contract, anyone in the AA wouldn't be thinking ill toward Ron Wellman. Then again, Hatch had to approve this. From the presser, Wellman told the story of meeting with Hatch to get the ok to spend $3 million on something and Hatch reluctantly agreed. My take was Hatch doesn't know donkey-doo on sports....assuming a similar take on Hatch saying ok to a revamped Manning contract extension.

Mit Shah is probably really happy to get management fees out of managing an endowment that doesn't seem to care about growing.

Wellman probably can’t terminate him because he’s in Canada and Wake doesn’t want to be responsible for any international incident as the result of leaving a dumpster fire on foreign soil

Maybe we’ll get lucky and the KU job opens, they offer to interview Danny solely as a courtesy, the AD tells Danny no, he interviews anyway, and we can fire him for cause à la Jagodzinski at BC. A man can dream.

Aren’t the proceeds from the endowment generally used for scholarships? If so, it means that the endowment principal has grown 30+%, which is not so bad.

What am I missing? The ACC Network cranks up big time this year? We have a lot more money coming in unless Ron has already squandered it. Make the insanity end!

Last edited:
Regardless of the plan, it seems that the deep unrest in the fan base and horrific on-court results would demand that the athletic department let it be known in some fashion if Manning is returning.

Regardless of the plan, it seems that the deep unrest in the fan base and horrific on-court results would demand that the athletic department let it be known in some fashion if Manning is returning.

This is undoubtedly true, so there is still some hope.

Back