• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why Manning has a tough road to rebuilding Wake Basketball

BudatWake

Steve Lepore
Reaction score
You look at some of the mid major teams that are playing well this time of year and wonder why we are having so much trouble resurrecting our program. We tend to just blame Manning and Wellman, but there are a few other problems,

1. Tough admission standards-- hard to get some marginal players in school
2. Our requirements. Some kids don't want foreign language, math and actually be expected to attend class.
3. Difficult transfer rules
4. Located in a small southern town
5. Actually enforce academic and conduct rules.

These factors and others it seems to me significantly reduce the pool of players Manning can recruit and on top of that we play in a tough conference.

Maybe of the higher ups at Wake would realize the importance of having success in sports to the rest of the University we could show some flexibility on some of these issues and be more competitive. I am not suggesting we lower ourselves to, say, Louisville level, but there can be a happy medium.

You look at some of the mid major teams that are playing well this time of year and wonder why we are having so much trouble resurrecting our program. We tend to just blame Manning and Wellman, but there are a few other problems,

2. Our requirements. Some kids don't want foreign language, math and actually be expected to attend class.

These factors and others it seems to me significantly reduce the pool of players Manning can recruit and on top of that we play in a tough conference.

Maybe of the higher ups at Wake would realize the importance of having success in sports to the rest of the University we could show some flexibility on some of these issues and be more competitive. I am not suggesting we lower ourselves to, say, Louisville level, but there can be a happy medium.

Yeah, we could just get a little bit pregnant.

One woman may charge $1,000 for sex while another woman only charges $50.....but both are still whores.

Don't think academics plays a big role in basketball recruiting. Many high academic schools do well in MBB, while many low academic schools do poorly. It's all about the coach.

Manning's biggest problem....which was also BzDelick's biggest problem and will be the next coach's biggest problem....is that he has a mid-major level program potential but is trying to compete in a Power 5 conference.

The situation is far different now than it was even 10 years ago when Skip was still here. WF has won only 1 NIT/NCAA post-season game in the last 11 years.

Last edited:
Manning's biggest problem....which was also BzDelick's biggest problem and will be the next coach's biggest problem....is that he has a mid-major level program potential but is trying to compete in a Power 5 conference.

The situation is far different now than it was even 10 years ago when Skip was still here. WF has won only 1 NIT/NCAA post-season game in the last 11 years.

You need a lesson in causation.

We don't seem to have any trouble getting marginal players in. It's the marginal students we have problems with.

I know he is clapping for his son right now. But I wish I could be happy as Manning right now.

It is going to be hard if he continues to spend his free time attending Kansas games

Just read where his son plays for Kansas.

Last edited:
Yes, but we were recruiting players who were only going to stay two years, so they didn't apply as much. Foreign language requirement is no big deal if you don't ever take a foreign language class.

I've been watching post game interviews most of the week. Most of these kids could take English and satisfy the foreign language requirement.

I know he is clapping for his son right now. But I wish I could be happy as Manning right now.

I hope he remembers this feeling and makes sure Childress feels it for the next four years.

Agree. Why does seeing him grinning ear to ear in the stands after the Kansas win make me angry?

Me too...I think it is because he showed more passion and emotion at the Kansas game than he has his entire time at WFU.

He's a father first. And a KU legend. No worries.

Would be really nice to see Chill in the same mode this time next year. Successful run in ACC tourney, son playing well in significant minutes.

Back