• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why Manning has a tough road to rebuilding Wake Basketball

Yes, but we were recruiting players who were only going to stay two years, so they didn't apply as much. Foreign language requirement is no big deal if you don't ever take a foreign language class.

Trying to make sense of this post. When Chris Paul left after two years, I seem to recall it caught most people off guard, pun unintentional. I think Skip assumed he was coming back and when he didn't, there was a hole in our team because we hadn't recruited to replace him. That was the beginning of the nose dive. Other than that, I thought Aminu was our only recruit expected to last two years or less. Who else did we recruit knowing they would be gone so soon.

And, I don't buy being able to have only a mid major team in a power conference. Is UVA that much easier than Wake academically? Seems like they are doing well with four year players who must take some tough courses along the way.

Never bought into the LOWF sobbing. True, we have had talented teams that have under performed in the post season. True, we put one of the worst ACC teams on the court under Buzz (thank you Boston College). But, we were also just terrible under Bob Staak and we recovered to hit those great years everyone dreams of returning to.

When Skip came in,, he focused on getting the fan base more involved and energized. And it helped. What is being done now?

Manning got Cornelius Hudson into Wake Forest University. Say what you will about the past, but Clawson and Manning are both being given the freedom to go after players they want.

Trying to make sense of this post. When Chris Paul left after two years, I seem to recall it caught most people off guard, pun unintentional. I think Skip assumed he was coming back and when he didn't, there was a hole in our team because we hadn't recruited to replace him. That was the beginning of the nose dive. Other than that, I thought Aminu was our only recruit expected to last two years or less. Who else did we recruit knowing they would be gone so soon.

And, I don't buy being able to have only a mid major team in a power conference. Is UVA that much easier than Wake academically? Seems like they are doing well with four year players who must take some tough courses along the way.

Never bought into the LOWF sobbing. True, we have had talented teams that have under performed in the post season. True, we put one of the worst ACC teams on the court under Buzz (thank you Boston College). But, we were also just terrible under Bob Staak and we recovered to hit those great years everyone dreams of returning to.

When Skip came in,, he focused on getting the fan base more involved and energized. And it helped. What is being done now?

Prosser was high energy. Clawson feels that way, too. Redacted wouldn't have known what a personality was if it bit him in the ass. Manning doesn't exactly exude passion.

Manning got Cornelius Hudson into Wake Forest University. Say what you will about the past, but Clawson and Manning are both being given the freedom to go after players they want.

That was a mistake. Should have saved that for a better player.

The "tough academic" thing is horseshit. See Duke, UVA, ND and countless others. The problem is at the top. See Wellman and Hatch.

We owe this coaching staff the time to build a good team. We have good coaching

Texas Tech, Tulsa, and USC making the tournament before us should be a slap in the face to any Wake fan. Our plight isn't unique. Wellman just sucks at rebuilding.

Prosser was high energy. Clawson feels that way, too. Redacted wouldn't have known what a personality was if it bit him in the ass. Manning doesn't exactly exude passion.

Yes, if Manning would only jump up and down more, winning would surely follow.

The "tough academic" thing is horseshit. See Duke, UVA, ND and countless others. The problem is at the top. See Wellman and Hatch.

See post 33 in this thread. Just because other schools are ranked highly doesn't mean they are dealing with the same standards or issues that we are. I don't think you can use it as an excuse, because we have overcome it in the past, but, Wake is unique in many ways.

Yes, we have the most unique and limiting circumstances in the entire world. It's a miracle that prior to the last 6 years we were one of the top 25 programs in the nation.

re Prossor. He came to Wake after Odom was booted after the Butler debacle. He only has a future All American on his team for a starting point. Easy to engage the fan base when you have something to start with. If he had been given 10-20 talent not sure how energized the fan base would have been as the losses piled up.

So why can't we do something similar with WSSU?

Supposedly there were conversations several years ago (when Prosser was coach) suggesting a push for academic changes or partnerships that would ultimately benefit student-athletes. Because if NCAA rules, any changes/partnerships/degree tracks would have to be open to the entire student body so any discussions were tabled.

I doubt Wake Forest will do anything similar to what other schools are doing as long as Wellman and Hatch are in control. It's also very, very hard to convince a less open-minded, older generation that making these kinds of arrangements and changes will benefit WFU as whole in the long run.

How many Wake students would choose to take classes at another Winston area college? Hard to imagine it would be that many.

Yes, we have the most unique and limiting circumstances in the entire world. It's a miracle that prior to the last 6 years we were one of the top 25 programs in the nation.

re Prossor. He came to Wake after Odom was booted after the Butler debacle. He only has a future All American on his team for a starting point. Easy to engage the fan base when you have something to start with. If he had been given 10-20 talent not sure how energized the fan base would have been as the losses piled up.

Odom wasn't booted. He may have been pressured to leave but it's not like he was fired. He left to take another major college job.

How many Wake students would choose to take classes at another Winston area college? Hard to imagine it would be that many.

It doesn't make sense...wouldn't the student have to pay Wake prices for a WSSU class? The only students who would do that would be scholarship athletes...but it would still have to be offered to the entire student body.

As many have said already on this thread, the basketball team has been bad for the past 6 years because Wellman hired a really bad coach. Plain and simple. All this talk about language requirements, reciprocity, transfer credits, etc. is off target. Wake has been very willing to target one-and-done players, especially in the last several years. This includes basketball (Giles) and other sports (Rubin, Harrison). We signed some in other sports and didn't in basketball, which is why we were #1 in soccer, top 5 in tennis, and bad in basketball. It's not complicated - it's about recruiting in college sports, always has been and always will.

I wonder how many at Duke do it. It would basically be the same at Wake I imagine. I don't know why anyone would pay Wake prices to take classes there though.

Yes. But the college basketball landscape has changed.

No matter your opinion of it, right or wrong, things are much different now. The Players needed to win championships or even be competitive in a P5 conference come to college with a dream of going in the 1st round in a year or two. A degree is a back-up plan.

Colleges can't beat them, so they might as well join them.

This is a load of shit. A degree has always been a back-up plan for the best college players, that didn't suddenly change in 2010. Players needed to win championships have always put their basketball careers above their educations (as they should btw).

The average stay of top players may be shorter than it was in the 90's but if anything that should work in our favor. It's a lot harder to hide a poor student at Wake for 3-4 years than it is for 1-2.

Our academic "standards" haven't restricted who we recruit and I doubt they have scared away many recruits (at least when compared to other top 50 academic institutions).

Back