• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why Wake Forest Loses

IMissRandolph

Reaction score
From a Duke site: http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2016/3/2/11145868/why-wake-forest-lost-to-duke but you can't argue. No doubt there is some talent on this team.

Also, about the same time we lost last night, an Indiana team that we beat in Maui won the outright Big Ten Championship.

This is completely inexplicable: Thomas rebounded the miss. Everyone has headed downcourt except for Thomas and Crawford. Brandon Ingram has run downcourt too and has his back to Thomas. Instead of throwning to an unguarded Crawford, Thomas throws a one-handed pass that hits Ingram's back. It's almost like dodgeball. Ingram picks it up and Thomas just...stands there. No reaction. No nothing. What just happened? Crawford then fouls Allen. After the first free throw, sophomore Mitoglou comes over to talk to senior Thomas, apparently to buck him up. On the out of bounds play, Thomas picks it up...and makes another one-handed pass to Crawford, who goes down and hits a layup. Timeout Wake Forest.

Last edited:
Lol one of the best takes on this wake team comes from a dukie, great we lose again.

Not sure wtf he is talking about with: "Crawford, for instance, is a huge talent, but at times you can visibly see him losing confidence. When Crawford loses faith, it's like watching one of those dancing figures businesses put out to attract attention when the air is turned off. It just fall in on itself. So does Crawford. The poor guy just crumples and deflates."

When a Duke player is having a tough game, he can just tap one of the other 4 McAA's on the court and let them carry him. When Crawford is having a bad game, he is forced to play through it because we NEED him to win us games. I think he naturally looks a little frustrated, but completely deflated? Not even close.

Last edited:
Folks, we need either to get rid of Hatch and Wellman and decide we want to win for a change, or patiently await divine intervention.

(Although quite frankly I really don't know why God would want to help us, when we clearly have no intention of helping ourselves.)

From a Duke site: http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2016/3/2/11145868/why-wake-forest-lost-to-duke but you can't argue. No doubt there is some talent on this team.

This is an interesting quote:

Here's one more thought about Wake Forest.

We thought last year that Manning would need some time to straighten out his team's culture. We were right about that, we think, and the final step is being done with Thomas and Miller-McIntyre. They seem like nice enough kids, but they're not very reliable leaders. Wake Forest is better off without them.

Fair analysis for the most part, but disagree on Crawford.

It will be a totally different dynamic next year between Manning and his players. Will that lead to more wins? It should, but who knows. But that power struggle between [name redacted] seniors and the freshmen talent will be gone.

I hope I'm wrong but the problems I see with Danny's coaching will not be corrected (unless we had 5 McDee's A-A) and by that, he will never win at Wake.....

Not sure wtf he is talking about with: "Crawford, for instance, is a huge talent, but at times you can visibly see him losing confidence. When Crawford loses faith, it's like watching one of those dancing figures businesses put out to attract attention when the air is turned off. It just fall in on itself. So does Crawford. The poor guy just crumples and deflates."

Good article, but this isn't accurate. BC doesn't lack confidence in himself, but rather he lacks confidence in this teammates. As such, he tends to shoulder too much of the load in a tight game.

Dinos certainly has to be leading the ACC in fouls committed while setting a screen. Unreal.

I hope I'm wrong but the problems I see with Danny's coaching will not be corrected (unless we had 5 McDee's A-A) and by that, he will never win at Wake.....

This is what worries me. DM plays two in 3 out. A system. A planned rotation. Then no adjustments. No matter the circumstances. (My opinion is we should have gone big 10 games ago)

Unfortunately I doubt he can just recruit well enough at wake to win like that. We will see. Hoping for the best still. Team will be better next year. The question is what is the trajectory out of the morass after 6 years.

Dinos certainly has to be leading the ACC in fouls committed while setting a screen. Unreal.

Most of the time its the ball handler's fault. They need to realize he is slow and wait for him to get there and get set. If he is still (slowly) running to set a screen, and they take off and run their man into him, he will get called everytime.

Good article, but this isn't accurate. BC doesn't lack confidence in himself, but rather he lacks confidence in this teammates. As such, he tends to shoulder too much of the load in a tight game.

Agreed. Crawford simply has a higher ceiling than his teammates and tries to play at that ceiling. His teammates can't bail out his mistakes and have trouble playing at his level.

So for two years now Wake players have not bought into the DM system? From the looks of this article DM might not have a system at all. One more year of DM might help turn a corner but I can't see it.

I think that's a pretty fair analysis.
Watson should not play except for a few minutes a game to spell starters or if someone gets in foul trouble. He's just not an ACC caliber player. As much as I appreciate the efforts of Thomas and CMM, I have thought for quite some time that this team will be better off without them. We haven't had a real leader on our teams since Dino got canned (not sure Dino's teams really had great leaders either) and from what i could tell Devin was too temperamental to be a good leader and CMM just isn't demonstrative enough (he doesn't want to lead). I am giving DM until next year to really pass judgement on him. If we aren't a legit middle of the road ACC team next year then there are no excuses for DM.

Folks, we need either to get rid of Hatch and Wellman and decide we want to win for a change, or patiently await divine intervention.

(Although quite frankly I really don't know why God would want to help us, when we clearly have no intention of helping ourselves.)

True, but we've been amazing at helping others.

The culture of losing at wake goes far beyond the composition of this year's basketball team.

Good thread. I was looking for some insight into why Wake loses. Just couldn't put my finger on why this bunch isn't in the top tier of the league.

If you don't have the talent, then you have to have a system. We seem to be a step behind in both. We all got giddy in December with wins against Indiana, UCLA, LSU. Two wins since. DM knows he is heading toward the hot seat if he comes out as flat next year, but Wellman is not going to do anything.

Back