• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Will radical Supreme Court destroy unions?

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
They are listening to a case which will allow people to benefit from union negotiations, but not have to pay union dues. If the Supreme Court affirms the right not to pay due, unions are over.

This would be a terrible day for workers and for our economy.

Since you are already calling the court "radiical," I assume the question is rhetorical.

radical = rules against unions
wise = rules for unions

#fairandbalanced

As a federal employee I was represented by a union and was not required to pay dues. What is the case?

They have already proved themselves to be radical.

There's no justification to allow people to benefit from the negotiations and not have to pay for the union. They don't have a right to work at a specific job. They chose to work there knowing there is a union and that there are dues.

If a lawyer negotiates a deal for you, do you have to pay him?

This would be a disaster to our country. Company after company would become WalMart. Our economy would be harmed.

No other western nation would ever consider such a decision.

LOL at you understanding anything about how workers' wages impact the economy and our country.

They are listening to a case which will allow people to benefit from union negotiations, but not have to pay union dues. If the Supreme Court affirms the right not to pay due, unions are over.

This would be a terrible day for workers and for our economy.

This might be a small oversimplication of the issue.

The same radical Court that struck down DOMA and upheld the ACA?

Liberals crow about the shaky GOP coalition between business, social conservatives, and libertarians, but the split between moderates and labor within the Dem coalition is just as problematic. Obama and Biden wanted no part of the WI protests when the Dem legislature fled to Illinois, putting Scott Walker on the map. They compounded their passive-aggressive indifference by holding the Dem convention in a right to work state. Independents are already a plurality as far as political affiliation goes and a "pure labor" Dem party would make independents a majority of the electorate.

11704411_1_l.jpg

R.J. stay away from politics...you are much more adept at going after Bz & Wellman...

I have a close relative who is a non-union department manager of a very predominantly Union manufacturing facility in the Southeast. This person could care less about politics, so I love hearing his perspective. minimum pay for Union employees is roughly 85k annually across the board. That's from machinists, down to line workers. High school, or ged education being the vast majority of employees. (machinists makes sense to me, but... Line workers... That blow my mind) this plant has been unable to expand and hire the last few years, while other plants in this same company in other, non Union States, have flourished and expanded rapidly. Just to clarify this is a fortune 500 company. This plant faces the quarterly possibly of a shutdown and consolidation to a non Union plant, while it's fairly productive. Management is constantly poked away to higher paying management positions in non Union companies, and hiring has creeped along for non management employees in a town that experiences high unemployment. He told me the single most detrimental thing holding them back is Union labor costs. And no, this company isn't rolling in billions in profits, and paying executives an amount of money that even puts a tiny dent in the bottom line. If they weren't handcuffed by unrealistic future obligations, written in stone, threatened by strikes, they would be able to pay higher salaries now during prosperity, rather than creep along until they can fund another expansion elsewhere.

My opinion.. Let companies expand, train and hire employees without unions demanding unrealistic wages for basic jobs, they will be able to hire more people, and pay them an honest salary that fits the job. Maybe if unions were realistic and not short-sighted with benefit demands, maybe they wouldn't have such a target on their back. Honorably mission when they were established... But now a mob like, corrupt initiative that is hurting job growth in many states.

They have already proved themselves to be radical.

There's no justification to allow people to benefit from the negotiations and not have to pay for the union. They don't have a right to work at a specific job. They chose to work there knowing there is a union and that there are dues.

If a lawyer negotiates a deal for you, do you have to pay him?

This would be a disaster to our country. Company after company would become WalMart. Our economy would be harmed.

No other western nation would ever consider such a decision.

WOW.

What is an honest salary?

Back