• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Winston-Salem and Beer

West End Deac

Living The Last One Down
Reaction score
Hit up Small Batch last night. Had four pints, four varieties, all quite good. Favorite last night was their amber BBA. The place is beautiful. It was neat seeing all that hardwork turn into something so solid.

A great new beer shop in town is Stella Brew on Hawthorne across from PBs. Great selection including 18 doors of refrigerated beer. Their prices are really, really solid. The owner is a good guy who apparently worked in distributing (which would explain his incredible selection). They are open on Sundays - huge plus.

Learned just yesterday about a spot on South Marshall - Carolina Vineyards and Hops. If anyone has visited, I'd be curious to hear your impressions.

With Mast General opening in 2015 I am sure other nice spots will follow on that small stretch of 5th, connecting 4th and Trade nicely. With the development to the east in the Innovation Quarter, I can see WS feeling much different in ten years than it does now (which feels infinitely different than it did in 2000). The more spots with solid beer, the better.

There is a new wine and beer store opening up in clemmons. It isn't open yet so I have no idea as to the quality of the beer and wine.

Stella is pretty awesome, went by earlier this week and got a couple growlers of FullSteam. Excellent prices too.

I'm pumped to try out Small Batch..

Not sure if Hoots has their own beers yet or not, but hopefully those are good too.

I was bummed they weren't open in time for homecoming. The dudes seemed legit in the videos I watched about the set up.

Nope. Just saw the sign go up this week when I went to staples.

Saw the same thing at the same time for the same reason. I think they're across the center from a full-sized Lowes Food. Tough sledding for the little guy selling a specialty product.

IIRC the Journal ran a story on it about six months ago. They planned to offer the largest variety of beer on tap around.

Saw the same thing at the same time for the same reason. I think they're across the center from a full-sized Lowes Food. Tough sledding for the little guy selling a specialty product.

They are. That lowes is currently getting a complete renovation. It will be interesting to see how they do and where they create their niche.

I can never not give City Bev enough business or props due to their looking the other way when I used to buy kegs there all the time.

They are. That lowes is currently getting a complete renovation. It will be interesting to see how they do and where they create their niche.

We had a similar store in our neighborhood, locking horns with the Teeter. They now sell bootleg sports apparel in that spot.

The Quiet Pint is opening right near the hospital on 1st street (across from BP). The dude from Bar Rescue (not Taffer, but someone else involved) is playing a major role in it apparently?

The one on country club?

No, about 100 miles East. I travel a lot for work, and just happened to be the Village of Clemmons last week at Staples when I saw the Grain and Vine (or whatever they call it).

I tried the whole selection at Small Batch last night, my favorites were the Kranked espresso stout and of course their Limonhead IPA. The ginger was the worst.

Btw, First Street said they'd fill growlers. Not that they get that many unusual selections. I need to ask River Ridge Tap House if they will, since they have more obscure stuff.

I look forward to checking out Small Batch and Hoots.

Stella Brew is quite close to my house so I am definitely going to be a regular patron there. Pleased with their selection so far, and like all the tastings they've been offering. Good people too. I've brought empty 6-pack cases back, which they use for the mixed 6 pack option, so if you've got empty ones they were happy to have them.

I went to Carolina Vineyard and Hops a year or so ago when they had just recently opened. I like the concept and had a nice time, but it has been too out of the way for me to go back yet. You can pour your own pints and wine from their special machines so you can have just a taste of wine, or half pints of beer to try more choices. Might have to put it on the "visit again soon" list now that I'm reminded of it.

Anyone checked out the new Carolina Tap Room on 4th St yet? Supposed to have just NC beers on tap. https://www.facebook.com/carolinataproom

Back