• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wives and hyphenated names/keeping their daddy's name

IrishSlim

The Sultan of Swashbuckle
Reaction score
Which is worse? The hyphenated hippie thing ("Levinson-Gould") or the My daddy is more of a man than you thing? ("Levinson." Forever and ever.)

Would you put up with either? Which is destined to get kids teased more? Ladies ... why ... why even consider this?

Oh, neo-feminism. So silly.

Last edited:
Welll flame away but I'm technically keeping my last name. I'm adding HTTDs name on to my own so I'll have 4 names. I'll go by Mrs. [HTTDs last name] but would sign Firstname Maidenname HTTDlastname on checks and shit and Firstname Summer Maidenname HTTDlastname would be my full name.

Think of all the time you'll be wasting with every signature! That's bound to add up over the years.

Welll flame away but I'm technically keeping my last name. I'm adding HTTDs name on to my own so I'll have 4 names. I'll go by Mrs. [HTTDs last name] but would sign Firstname Maidenname HTTDlastname on checks and shit and Firstname Summer Maidenname HTTDlastname would be my full name.

This is exactly what I am doing. I'm not dropping my middle name because it is a family name that nearly every first generation female has had. Plus there are no men on my dad's side to carry on my last name. So I will be doing the double, but I'm doing it as a double middle name, not last name. I will be taking his last name.

Last edited:
Which is worse? The hyphenated hippie thing ("Levinson-Gould") or the My daddy is more of a man than you thing? ("Levinson." Forever and ever.)

Would you put up with either? Which is destined to get kids teased more? Ladies ... why ... why even consider this?

Oh, neo-feminism. So silly.

I know a couple that synthsized their two last names into one; using your example they BOTH changed their name to "Goulson."

Think of all the time you'll be wasting with every signature! That's bound to add up over the years.

Good thing I love signing my name =) Sup, narcissism?

It is going to be reaaallllyyyy long though. The letters are:

5 6 7 5 = 23 letters.

It's pretty common for women in science to keep their maiden names if they've previously published under them.

It's pretty common for women in science to keep their maiden names if they've previously published under them.

True that, double true. (Although I've only got one published article, and I'm only second author)

If I was going on for a PhD I was probably going to go by my name now in my professional life and HTTDs in my personal life.

I know a couple that synthsized their two last names into one; using your example they BOTH changed their name to "Goulson."

My friend's last name is White and her husbands is Brown. They're debating whether to change their names to Brite for the kids.

I'm finding our future children's sports allegiances are more difficult to determine than the whole name thing.

You should both change your last name to Ovechin

She married me. She can keep her name. I don't care.

Yes, and pretty much the only acceptable reason.

My sister-in-law had published a buttload before she married my brother (who is also a prof, so he understands the game), so it made sense to me. All the relatives who have had nothing to do with academia remain confused though. She gets called by the wrong name a lot and gets birthday cards by the wrong name, as well.

ETA: What my wife did, I thought was a little strange at the time, but perfectly reasonable now. She hated her given middle name, so she became First Name Given Last Name My Last Name. Doesn't cause any weirdness, remains traditional on both sides, yet pretty insignificant.

Last edited:
I honestly don't think I could marry a girl that didn't take my name...call it misogynistic, or old fashioned, or chauvinist but it would be embarrassing to me if my wife didn't take my name. It's one thing if she's a practicing professional and her name has some brand equity (i'd still ask that she technically would go by Mrs. Bacon, but wouldn't mind if she practiced as Ms/Dr. Whateverhernameis.) but I really just don't go for the Mrs. Bacon-whateverhernameis and certainly not just mrs. whateverhernamis.

realtalk. Everyone has their own ideas and is free to do what they want so don't be offended by my post, but that's the way I feel. Lots of people say, "If you meet the girl you wanted to marry then it wouldn't matter". They could be right because I've never been in that position but I highly doubt I'd ever be in a relationship long enough to marry the type of girl that would seriously consider not taking my name

I go by a shortened version of my original middle name. I couldn't wait to get married so I could drop original first name and be originalmiddlename maidenname hislastname.

Plus it was nice to move up from the bottom of the alphabet to the top.

I understand why some women do it, but I'm too much of a traditionalist.

I am officially all switched over (SS, license, credit cards) to FirstName MaidenName HisLastName now. I never questioned that I jwould take the name of my husband (unless his name had been really bad...I've heard some that are), but I do not judge at all those that don't choose this path (regardless of career, publishing, etc). To each their own.

However, I, personally, think hyphenated names can get really long and unwieldy. And when last names don't match it can be weird dealing with kids' schools, etc. Also, I have two brothers and 3 male cousins on my dad's side, so no problem carrying on the name there.

Back