• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Women's Golf

Hope Jennifer performs well in the women's Open. She must be spent, at least emotionally. It would be great for the LPGA if she and Fassi play exceptionally well in their pro debut.

All that aside, I want Jennifer to have a great career.

Hate for Kupcho but she has to win her match. The rest of the team played so well. It was fun to watch.

I don't know why you concede the championship winning putt.

Because it was a short putt and it is called sportsmanship. Look up Jack Nicklaus and learn what it is all about. Great season by the Lady Deacs! Awesome season.

Because it was a short putt and it is called sportsmanship. Look up Jack Nicklaus and learn what it is all about. Great season by the Lady Deacs! Awesome season.

Yeah, but the putt Nicklaus conceded to Tony Jacklin was to end their match in a tie, which meant the US retained the Ryder Cup. I doubt Nicklaus would have conceded the putt if the Cup was on the line, make or miss.

Bullshit. I've played golf my entire life. If you want to beat me, beat me. Conceding putts is for friendly matches and speeding up play.

If a DE stopped chasing a reciever that had him beat, would you call it sportsmanship? Hell no, keep running...make the other guy beat you and try to force him into making a mistake. If someone can't make a gimme under pressure, they aren't a champion.

Fuck off with the sportsmanship. What other real sport do you "concede" a shot? You don't concede free throws at the end of a game. If a team is down by one and makes a steal at the end of the game, do you blow your whistle to end the game and concede the last second layup? What is so awful about actually making your putt that makes it unsportsmanlike for the opponent to expect that?
This is a dumb culture of reaching for some reason to feel superior to real athletes.

Bullshit. I've played golf my entire life. If you want to beat me, beat me. Conceding putts is for friendly matches and speeding up play.

If a DE stopped chasing a reciever that had him beat, would you call it sportsmanship? Hell no, keep running...make the other guy beat you and try to force him into making a mistake. If someone can't make a gimme under pressure, they aren't a champion.

Wrong.

I think conceeding one putt to win the title is crazy. If somebody has a 2 footer, and only needs to 2 putt, then OK.

Tiger conceded a four footer to Phil when it was for 10 million dollars and Phil ended up winning but everyone will say that's different because Tiger was still working on getting his image restored ....

Sportsmanship is taking your defeat well and congratulating your opponent when they make the short putt to beat you. Giving them the putt is just conceding defeat rather than making them earn their victory.

Tiger conceded a four footer to Phil when it was for 10 million dollars and Phil ended up winning but everyone will say that's different because Tiger was still working on getting his image restored ....

That was an entirely different scenario. Firstly, Tiger and Phil both conceded putts, some longer than 4 feet. Neither wanted to win by having the other miss a par putt. At one point, Phil even said, “I don’t want to win like that.” They wanted to make a birdie putt to win. Secondly, neither Tiger or Phil needed the $9M.

Fuck off with the sportsmanship. What other real sport do you "concede" a shot? You don't concede free throws at the end of a game. If a team is down by one and makes a steal at the end of the game, do you blow your whistle to end the game and concede the last second layup? What is so awful about actually making your putt that makes it unsportsmanlike for the opponent to expect that?
This is a dumb culture of reaching for some reason to feel superior to real athletes.

This is the take of someone that doesn't understand that golf is a different animal. What other sport do you call penalties on yourself? You can't analogize to other sports.

This is the take of someone that doesn't understand that golf is a different animal. What other sport do you call penalties on yourself? You can't analogize to other sports.

I played competitive golf up until college...I understand the game. What does calling penalties on yourself have to do with expecting someone to make a putt to win? The fact that it would be impossible for an official to follow every player around a course doesn't mean that you should just give game winning putts to other players. One does not follow from the other.

According to your logic, since ice hockey is the only sport played with a hockey puck, you can't compare it to other sports where goals are scored with balls.

I played competitive golf up until college...I understand the game. What does calling penalties on yourself have to do with expecting someone to make a putt to win? The fact that it would be impossible for an official to follow every player around a course doesn't mean that you should just give game winning putts to other players. One does not follow from the other.

According to your logic, since ice hockey is the only sport played with a hockey puck, you can't compare it to other sports where goals are scored with balls.

You people struggle with reading comprehension, I swear! I never said the penalty thing led logically to giving putts. The person I was responding to was comparing the putt situation to situations in basketball, etc. I was making the point that golf is not like other sports. In every other sport you get away with everything you can and hope the official doesn't see it. Another way that golf differs from other sports is the sportsmanship, etiquette and decorum expected of players during a match. Golf is an old-fashioned sport played by gentlemen and gentlewomen.
During events played in a match play format it is traditional / expected that the players concede putts to one another during the round. There is no hard and fast rule and the criteria for when to concede is flexible. Players on both sides were doing it all day. I saw Liu getting pissed when she thought Carta wasn't going to give her a putt of less than a foot but then Carta laughed and gave it to her - apparently indicating that she wasn't paying attention. She wasn't pissed because she thought she might miss it, she was pissed because it would have been bad form. It sounds like some of you are fine with doing it all day but think it is different once the title is on the line?
On that last putt, I would have been OK either way - I had no problem with her conceding it - it was plenty short enough for conceding it to be acceptable. But I don't think it would have been bad sportmanship had she made her putt it, either. Had it been a little longer I would have expected her to make her putt it. Had it been a little shorter it would have been bad form to make her putt it. That was my impression, anyway.

You don’t understand competitive golf if you are criticizing Bags for conceding that 18 inch straight in, level putt. Playing high school golf doesn’t involve individual matches. It’s all stroke play. If you had played in CGA type of tournaments, you would know better. I’ll guarantee that neither Coach Lewellyn nor the players had any problem with the concession.

She put the ball the water and caused a 12 minute delay. Her opponent was all class then got on and barely missed her winning putt. Would have been unsportsmanlike not to concede and she would have looked worse not conceding then missing own putt. Losing with grace is important too.

She put the ball the water and caused a 12 minute delay. Her opponent was all class then got on and barely missed her winning putt. Would have been unsportsmanlike not to concede and she would have looked worse not conceding then missing own putt. Losing with grace is important too.

Nobody loses with grace better than Wake Forest. We’ve got that down pat. Only downside was that Ron wasn’t there to have our marching band play the Duke fight song while the putt was being conceded. That would have been classy as hell.

Oh good, our resident golf expert is back.

Back