• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Work and Vacation Days

TravelingDeacon

Reaction score
How many days of vacation per year do you get at your job?

How many can you actually take?

How do you use them (2 week block in the summer, a day or two here and there, etc)?

15 vacation days. 5 sick days. i can take them all (and my boss is pretty cool with the "sick" days being "mental health" days). i still haven't figured out how i'm using the bulk of my days this year. last year most of them were used as 1 day here, 1 day there, except then i used an entire week during christmas.

15 vacation days....can take them whenever as long as there are no big deadlines coming up....I've been taking them a couple days at a time this year due to a lot of friends' weddings, etc.

I earn 6 hours of vacation and 4 hour of sick leave every two weeks. I'm capped at 240 hours of annual leave which can be carried over year-to-year (otherwise I lose it) but sick leave is unlimited. Right now I'm holding 190 annual leave and 333 sick leave. Generally, since my work schedule is so flexible, I only have to take leave (other than being sick) in blocks. It's a good system that reduces burn-out since you can accrue leave but at some point you have to either use it or donate it to someone with an exigent medical need.

13 days this year. Can take them more or less however I'd like so long as I give notice about 2 months in advance. I usually go for making my own long weekends.

No sick days since I can work from home and work generally allows me to work earlier or late if there's a mid-day sporting event I want to watch. That was real nice during the WC.

12 sick days / year. Because of my longevity, I'm now at 21 days of vacation / year.

Cap of 360 vacation hours. Use those whenever I want.

No cap on sick leave. Can apply that towards years of service & pension qualification at retirement. Currently have something like 1,200 sick hours in the bank. Also means that I don't have to worry about carrying any short-term disability coverage. Like 94, we also have a program where we can donate leave to people with a critical need.

5 PTO days...not bad since I'm a contractor. Otherwise, it's just like when I ran my own business...no work, no pay.

26 days of PTO are accrued per year (and about to grow to 29), plus we get the usual holidays (New Years Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, July 4, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Xmas).

We can carry over 160 hours.

I normally use about 21 days per year. One or two chunks, plus random days here and there.

Of course like everyone else I pay dearly for every day I use and end up working far more than 2k hours per year.

4 weeks vacation. No concept of sick days/doctors appointments/etc. If you're sick, you don't come in or you work from home. If you have a doctors appointment, you go. In my almost 5 years of working, I've never taken more than a week at a time (and that was only once). Usually a bunch of 3 or 4 day weekends. I also don't think I've ever used more than 3 weeks total and most years it was more like 2 weeks. We don't get paid for vacation we don't use and we don't get to carry it over.

I earn 6 hours of vacation and 4 hour of sick leave every two weeks. I'm capped at 240 hours of annual leave which can be carried over year-to-year (otherwise I lose it) but sick leave is unlimited. Right now I'm holding 190 annual leave and 333 sick leave. Generally, since my work schedule is so flexible, I only have to take leave (other than being sick) in blocks. It's a good system that reduces burn-out since you can accrue leave but at some point you have to either use it or donate it to someone with an exigent medical need.

I'm on the same system except that I only accrue 4 hours of vacation per pay period. It ends up being 13 days of vacation and 13 sick days. I currently have 4 hours of each saved up, although I did take a sick day last week. In February I had to use 3 sick days and 3 vacation days and that sort of shot my balance.

10 vacation/10 sick

doesn't matter nearly at all when i take them because my work is 100% fungible. down to about 1 day vacation right now due to various small trips/weddings. heard a rumor that they're combining sick and vacation into general PTO hours (which would be great for me) but nothing has happened yet.

Cav: Your tenure must be less than 6 years, if you're covered by OPM. You should go to 6 after 5 years and then 8 hrs after 13 years. Sick leave will always be 4.

I've been at my current employer for a little over 4 years. Our vacation policy is 1 week your first year, 2 weeks in year 2-4, starting your 5th year you get 3 weeks and starting your 15th year you get 4 weeks.

Our office is closed 11 days a year for holidays. New Years Day, Presidents Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, 2 days for Thanksgiving, 2 Days for Xmas, New Years Eve

Being a relatively small company ($40 million-ish in revenue) most of the salaried, college educated people are older and have cut their teeth in larger companies and have lots of experience, so if they're smart they'll negotiate for 3 weeks to start. I was one of the very few who was hired as an unexperienced college grad....so I didn't have that much leverage and had to pay my dues. Most people try and get 4 weeks but it's difficult to take 4 weeks of vacation in a small company because most of the time you're the only one who can do your work and if you take too much time off you'll always be trying to catch up.
If I have a doctors or dentist appointment I try and schedule them first thing in the AM or last appointment of the day just let someone know and get to work when I get to work...i've never gotten any flack (because i don't abuse it)

I think our official sick day policy is 6 days a year, I don't know if my boss keeps up with it on my end because I've only missed 1 day in my tenure here and the only reason I missed that is because it was swine flu season and I was running a little fever and thought I may be coming down with the swine flu and we were under strict instructions not to come to work if we felt the slightest bit under the weather, it was a false alarm so I was at the office the next day.

As far as how I take my days off. I usually take 4-5 days straight for a vacation in the summer and then use the rest on long weekends (1-2 days off)

Last edited:
Wow. My company sucks. I got 5 vacation days after working for 6 months, and I would get 5 more after a year. 5 sick days total, but we can take "personal days" for family issues (i.e. my dog gets sick and I have to take him to the vet, or people stay home because their kids are sick). Personal days are unlimited. I work 4 days a week, so I'm trying to save my vacation days so I can quit a week earlier (I'm going to law school in the fall).

Good thread. I get 15 days PTO which we accrue as hours (?) every week, so no "sick days". I can't imagine how awesome it would be to get 4 weeks. With holidays, you could basically take a long weekend every single weekend.

Speaking of holidays, how many do people get? We're at 8 this year, down from 10. Sucks that Christmas and New Years are on the weekend.

I accrue 6 vacation hours every 2 weeks. There is no sick time. We also get the regular holidays; Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, 2 days for Thanksgiving, 2 days for Christmas, NYE, and they give us a floating holiday for our birthday.

I generally use most of the hours each year but they carry over to the next year anyhow. Generally use a few days for my Daytona 500 trip each year along with 5.5 days to go down and work The Masters; the rest is used up by random days here and there; football trips, weddings, etc...

4 weeks vacation. No concept of sick days/doctors appointments/etc. If you're sick, you don't come in or you work from home. If you have a doctors appointment, you go. In my almost 5 years of working, I've never taken more than a week at a time (and that was only once). Usually a bunch of 3 or 4 day weekends. I also don't think I've ever used more than 3 weeks total and most years it was more like 2 weeks. We don't get paid for vacation we don't use and we don't get to carry it over.

I'm exactly the same. Pretty standard with most law firms. I try and take a full 2 week vacation every 2 or so years, but those are tough to plan for, but usually it is a a bunch of long weekends. Last year, though, I only took 3 vacation days. Sucked.

I get .1 hours per hour worked, which ends up being 8 hours (one day) per pay period. I get I think 12 sick days, but they must come out of my PTO. Mandatory days off include Easter, Memorial Day, July 4th, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. Its nice to accrue the hours as I work because even if I use them all, two weeks later I have a full day back. However, at this juncture it doesn't mean much as I'm leaving in a month anyway. Historically I take a week for christmas and a week for t-giving, and just take random days here and there. Should have taken one today...ugh

Back