• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Work and Vacation Days

-10 days...carries over I think.
-No personal time
-No "cap" on sick time, I guess.
-6 total additional days that the company is closed (Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's)

God, I hate this place.

I've been at my company 5 years and get 4 weeks (160 hours) of PDO - used for any time off, be it vacation or sick, in our fiscal PDO year of July 1 to June 30. We used to be able to carryover up to 40 hours from year to year, but that went away last year. The one drawback is that our busy season is December & January, so we're pretty much in PDO blackout during those months.

Working in a "real" job sounds horrendous.

I cannot relay the elation to you that one feels when you know that 4 weeks away is the beginning of an 80 day vacation.

Actually last year was my lowest billing year of my career. Only hit 2150. I just worked shorter days rather than taking vacation since my wife took a new position at her agency and really couldn't afford to take much time off because of her new responsibilities. But '06 and '07 were epic for me, both just over 2600. Usually I try to hit between 2250 and 2300.

Damn you work a lot, I hope you are at a HUGE firm where you are at least getting paid to work that much. I want to make sure people understand what those hours actually translate to.... If you work on average 50 weeks a year, you averaged 43 hours of BILLABLE TIME per week last year to meet 2150. Even if you are very efficient with your time, the amount of time you actually spend at work must be astronomical and working on the weekends must be the norm. That sounds terrible....and I'm attorney (as is my wife) that generally likes what I do, but spending that much time working does not sound desirable.

25 days of personal time a year, can carry over 50% of that time at the end of the year. No sick time and maybe 7-8 holidays per year. I also get to carry over OT I work and take off (I don't get paid for OT), so I imagine I'm able to manufacture an extra couple of weeks of PTO a year through that. I will never let any of this time expire as long as I am with my current employer..

10 vacation/10 sick

doesn't matter nearly at all when i take them because my work is 100% fungible. down to about 1 day vacation right now due to various small trips/weddings. heard a rumor that they're combining sick and vacation into general PTO hours (which would be great for me) but nothing has happened yet.

Would love to be at a job that does that as well, but I know as long as I work at my current job that won't be the case. I'm also shocked at the number of employers in this thread that don't allow any vacation days to be carried over. I think I currently earn around 17 vacation days a year and 12 sick days per year. Can carry over up to 30 vacation days and all sick time.

Actually last year was my lowest billing year of my career. Only hit 2150. I just worked shorter days rather than taking vacation since my wife took a new position at her agency and really couldn't afford to take much time off because of her new responsibilities. But '06 and '07 were epic for me, both just over 2600. Usually I try to hit between 2250 and 2300.

Just the idea of 2600 hours makes me want to vomit. I think I am most proud of the fact that I made it out of biglaw without ever hitting 200 hours in a month - right at 199 a few times (I think 199.6 was my highest) but I did not want to break through that ceiling.

Basically none. I get 3 sick days, the 6 federal holidays, and that's it. Not eligible for PTO til October. Lots of draconian business practices at my company.

I currently work for the government. They don't know this yet but I'm leaving in July.

To connect this to another thread, one of the reasons to stay with one place longer than a couple of years is because you build up vacation and increase in your rate of accumulation.

I've been at my current company for 8 years. I get 12 days of sick and 18 days of vacation.

I cannot relay the elation to you that one feels when you know that 4 weeks away is the beginning of an 80 day vacation.

I cannot relay the elation to you that one feels when you know that you'll have enough money for retirement and don't have to deal with teenagers on a daily basis. Summers off sounds good... but I'm not sure it's worth it.

We got 18 days of PTO when I started. Generally I much prefer taking the time whenever you want as opposed to having sick days and vacation days. I rarely get sick so that would be a waste.

I have friends who are on the buckets schedule where they go 6+ months at a time without taking a day off. They have no concept of what it would be like to not work for an entire week.

I get 20 vacation days, 10 bank holidays, and I think about 10 sick days.

I get 30 vacation days a year and usually a free four day weekend every month. But, when I go on vacation, Saturdays/Sundays/holidays count as vacation days. So, if I took Friday off and came back to work on Monday, I would be charged 3 days of vacation.

It's pretty great, but I often have to work on weekends or for 24/7 periods for several weeks at a time. For example, in August, I will work for 33 days without a single day off (including weekends). That sucks a lot and blows a full month of my life.

So, I am confused about sick days. How are they different from vacation days? Do you have to bring in a doctor's note or something?

depends on where you work/how cool your boss is as to how they can be used. i used all of my sick time last year...i was never once actually sick. and i would check with my boss ahead of time, but i would just tell him i was exhausted and about to go crazy and asked if i could be "sick" the next day. he and i both refer to them as "mental health days."

apparently using your sick days reflects poorly on you if you apply for government jobs (this is just hearsay, i don't actually know from first hand experience). but other than that, i think most people who don't have kids and aren't chronically ill just use them for much-needed breaks.

depends on where you work/how cool your boss is as to how they can be used. i used all of my sick time last year...i was never once actually sick. and i would check with my boss ahead of time, but i would just tell him i was exhausted and about to go crazy and asked if i could be "sick" the next day. he and i both refer to them as "mental health days."

apparently using your sick days reflects poorly on you if you apply for government jobs (this is just hearsay, i don't actually know from first hand experience). but other than that, i think most people who don't have kids and aren't chronically ill just use them for much-needed breaks.

I've only used sick days when my kids are sick or for doctor's appointments, etc. I think the reason for the differentiation is acknowledging there are times you can't work, but it's not vacation.

I work in city government. The time off and benefits are nice because the pay kind of sucks.

To connect this to another thread, one of the reasons to stay with one place longer than a couple of years is because you build up vacation and increase in your rate of accumulation.

I've been at my current company for 8 years. I get 12 days of sick and 18 days of vacation.

Not everywhere. Every attorney in my office (other than equity partners) gets 4 weeks of vacation from day 1 and has 4 weeks until they leave. Don't know if that's just common in law firms though.

Back