• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

World Cup Group F Discussion (ARG, BOS, IRA, NIG)

I'm looking forward to tonight's [likely] high scoring affair.

I'm looking forward to tonight's [likely] high scoring affair.

Yes. And to getting work done in the mid-afternoon tomorrow. Tonight is likely the only game in F worth watching. Well, in terms of good soccer. Will also be kinda fun to watch Argentina beat Iran by 4-5 goals.

Really hate that I can't be at home watching this game tonight.

Higuain on the bench for Argentina. Thought he was a solid dark horse for the golden boot. Mostly due to the possibility he scores 4 against Iran. Not so much now if he isn't going to be a starter.

Argentina XI: Romero; Zabaleta, Garay, Campagnaro, Fernandez, Rojo; Maxi Rodriguez, Mascherano, Di Maria; Messi, Aguero

Bosnia XI: Begovic, Bicakcic, Spahic, Kolasinac, Besic, Pjanic, Misimovic, Mujdza, Lulic, Hajrovic, Dzeko

Not much of a counterpoint given that's how the Netherlands has played for a while. Even if you aren't playing Higuain put Lavezzi out there. Yeah, I'm bitter. Guess we'll see how it works.

Yes I would have preferred that, lol

Not much of a counterpoint given that's how the Netherlands has played for a while. Even if you aren't playing Higuain put Lavezzi out there. Yeah, I'm bitter. Guess we'll see how it works.

LvG didn't switch away from the 5-3-2 until the friendlies right before the WC, they were still going 4-3-3 during the club season international breaks.

He just never got to trusting any of the remaining players to be the all-everything midfielder like he trusted Strootman, so he threw in wingbacks to give his defense more balance.

This hyping of Messi is annoying me. Greatest footballer ever? He isn't even the greatest Argentinian footballer ever. Nor is he currently the world's greatest active footballer. That guy plays tomorrow.

So outside of Messi, what are some cool things to watch for in this game?

LvG didn't switch away from the 5-3-2 until the friendlies right before the WC, they were still going 4-3-3 during the club season international breaks.

He just never got to trusting any of the remaining players to be the all-everything midfielder like he trusted Strootman, so he threw in wingbacks to give his defense more balance.

This. The Dutch qualified in a 4-3-3.

There are a host of great players on both teams. Dzeko, Pjanic, Misimovic and Kolisanic (young defender) for Bosnia.

Argentina should just possess this team to death. Di Maria, Messi, Aguero, Gago, Mascherano. They have class all over the field and all their players are good on the ball. All of them.

Dzeko could cause problems with his strength on set pieces.

I'd hazard a 3-1 scoreline for this one though. The Maracana might as well be in Buenos Aires tonight.

Angel Di Maria is electric on the wings. Aguero is exciting.

Dzeko and Pjanic for Bosnia should be exciting in the attack. Dzeko especially.

Neither team is strong in defense though Bosnia do have a top class keeper.

Pjanic for Bosnia is a midfield maestro and makes them tick.

Di Maria for Argentina is coming off his best ever club season and is a wonderful player from midfield. Kun Aguero is nearly as good as Messi in my mind. Not quite at his level, but he is truly world class in his own right.

Back