• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

World Cup Group F Discussion (ARG, BOS, IRA, NIG)

I know it happens every WC, was just pointing out that there are in fact big gaps in the groups.

I think Bosnia is pretty clearly the second best team. Iran's 10 men behind the ball and Nigeria's good luck eliminated them though.

This group sucks and so does the one with Japan and Greece. For that matter the Belgium group kinda sucks too.

It's been an exciting tournament but there are some ridiculous disparities in the groups. The group the USA is in and Italy's group are just stupid.

Iran hasn't played Bosnia. So their 10 men have made no impact on them so far unless you are suggesting Iran should have beaten Nigeria. Bosnia has crapped their own bed.

Iran hasn't played Bosnia. So their 10 men have made no impact on them so far unless you are suggesting Iran should have beaten Nigeria. Bosnia has crapped their own bed.

I was suggesting that Bosnia is eliminated due to how the schedule/points fell in the first two games. Bosnia didn't play the best game in the world yesterday, but they deserved a point against Argentina and got screwed yesterday.

I wish Iran had held on for points yesterday so that this group could be the cluster fuck it deserves

I know. It ain't gonna happen. But it'd be fairer if the teams were weighted based on rankings and assigned to groups that way. Then you would't have groups of death and weak sister groups, and you'd have better match-ups in round 2. It would tend to make group play a bit more predictable, but it'd be fairer.

That would be awful. FIFA rankings are already a disaster and you want to rely on them more, even when they are juiced to favor uefa and conmebol? Predictability isn't something most people care for in their entertainment.

I was suggesting that Bosnia is eliminated due to how the schedule/points fell in the first two games. Bosnia didn't play the best game in the world yesterday, but they deserved a point against Argentina and got screwed yesterday.

How do you "deserve" a point when you give up an own goal 2 minutes into the game and get completely outclassed in the second half? Their goal in the Argie game was soft. Sure they controlled the first half, but they didn't create a ton of chances. Bottom line, they just weren't good enough. Good teams find a way. Bosnia found a way to shit the bed.

That would be awful. FIFA rankings are already a disaster and you want to rely on them more, even when they are juiced to favor uefa and conmebol? Predictability isn't something most people care for in their entertainment.

Agreed. We all know the FIFA rankings are shit. I was giving this quite a bit of thought over the last few days and I like the fact we rely on the rankings to seed teams. You have to do something along those lines. But then the draw is the draw. Are Italy, Uruguay and England really going to bitch about their group when Costa Rica has already clinched a spot. That's the team you are supposed to beat. Mexico tied Brazil. Argentina taken to the end by Iran. Spain headed home because of Chile. If anything the biggest complaint I have is that Switzerland were given a seed.

Argentina XI: Romero; Zabaleta, Garay, Fernandez, Rojo; Mascherano, Gago, Di Maria; Messi Aguero, Higuain

Nigeria XI: Enyeama; Omeruo, Yobo, Ambrose, Oshaniwa; Mikel, Onazi; Babatunde, Musa, Odemwingie; Emenike

-----------------------

Bosnia XI: Begovic, Vrsajevic, Spahic (c), Kolasinac, Besic, Pjanic, Ibisevic, Dzeko, Susic, Sunjic, Hadzic

Iran XI: Haghighi, Haji Safi, Hosseini, Sadeghi, Nekounam (c), Shojaei, Timotian, Montarezi, Ghoochannejad, Dejagah, Pooladi

was just coming to post "is there any doubt messi gets the golden boot?" but now we have a GAME!

Romero is a shit keeper. Great shot by Musa, but he has to save that.

Paul Carr ‏@PCarrESPN 20s
Nigeria-Argentina is the first game in #WorldCup history in which both teams scored in the first five minutes.

Aguero subbed off in the 38th minute for Lavezzi after being down injured. Looked to be precautionary since they are already through.

Back